complexes.
So the city of Austin/FEMA/TWC set up transportation for each of them
to ensure they would be able to partake of the benefit of job
searching. The transportation consisted of nine buses and vans, to
run from four locations in Round Rock, and five locations in Austin,
in continuing shuttles back and forth to the campus to ensure that
the hundreds of people looking for jobs would be transported in
comfort. The vehicles were brought to their residences; drivers
knocked on the doors; and every effort was made.

At the end of the day, the nine vans and buses transported a total of
one person.
Not one person per bus - one person total.

At the end of the day, none of the Katrina Evacuees applied for any
of the jobs.

Not one person took employment - NONE total.

The bill to FEMA alone was $7800.
And yet they still get on TV claiming that the United States
Government OWES THEM

Adidas410s
04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Welcome to dealing with people from New Orleans:clap:

Oh the things I would love to tell them when I hear them say "we were victimized..." You are the moron who chose to live in a shack below sea level!!! Nobody caused the hurricane to come to your city...it's nobody else's fault that you didnt get off your fat *** and leave!!! Geez...I'm getting all worked up on a thursday! :mad: ;)

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Senators say FEMA needs to go....

This morning in the news.... (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/27/katrina.fema/index.html)

LH Panther Mom
04-27-2006, 09:25 AM
I do feel badly for anyone affected by natural disaster, but at some point, it seems that one has to take responsibility for moving on or doing something about the current situation.

I know Rita was much less disastrous than Katrina, but give me a break! You don't hear thousands of Texans :weeping: :weeping: about it still. East Texas folks got off their butts and took control of the situation to do what they could to make it better! :clap:

Snyder_TigerFan
04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
East Texas folks got off their butts and took control of the situation to do what they could to make it better! :clap:

Therein lies the difference. The majority of these folks are not going to do that. They expect everyone else (mainly the government) to do it for them and hand feed them everything. "That's the way they roll.":rolleyes:

Phil C
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Did that one person get a job?

LH Panther Mom
04-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Didn't even apply for one. :rolleyes:

STANG RED
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

At the end of the day, none of the Katrina Evacuees applied for any
of the jobs.

Not one person took employment - NONE total.

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I do feel badly for anyone affected by natural disaster, but at some point, it seems that one has to take responsibility for moving on or doing something about the current situation.

I know Rita was much less disastrous than Katrina, but give me a break! You don't hear thousands of Texans :weeping: :weeping: about it still. East Texas folks got off their butts and took control of the situation to do what they could to make it better! :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree that the residents, local and state governing powers need to step it up. I don't necessarily think you can blame FEMA for everything.

I have serious concerns regarding my own community and its preparedness in the event of disaster. The City of AP called for evacuation during Rita when San Patricio County gave the evacuation order. The police drove around with their speakers and announced the evacuation...did they do much more?...not that I am aware of. This was just the evacuation, imagine if we were in a serious recovery process....don't know, but I think all coastal communities should have a good plan (mandated by the State) and be updated annually. jmho:)

Bandera YaYa
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
My daughter spent last weekend in New Orleans and got a taste of this. She ate out every meal, spending her hard earned money, and was treated like dirt. The wait staff at every place she ate was rude and hardly acknowledged her presence. She felt like a bad person. She told me she said please and thank you to the waiters, but they didn't so much as grunt her way. In a time where I preach to extend a helping hand, it was very sad to hear this. She ended up hating New Orleans. What a shame. Shame on them! I totally agree...bad things happen, they happen to us all.....but at some point you have to get over it and pull yourself up and go on. I really don't know what will become of New Orleans if they are treating guests like that. Sad. I think Texans more than did their share and I am proud to say I am a Texan and proud of those Texans that took care of themselves! :mad: :(

big daddy russ
04-27-2006, 10:49 AM
You get the general idea of the attitudes of most (but definitely not all) Louisianans by reading this thread. Ray Nagin and that governor, at least to me, are a lot like that too. They scream bloody murder and that everyone's against them, but they won't fill out the necessary LOCAL paperwork to allow FEMA into the state of Louisiana. They didn't fill it out for three weeks, even though FEMA was waiting on their doorstep in Mississippi. Mississippi and Alabama were already being cleaned up within days after the disaster.

I've got a few other stories from evacuees that I've met, but I'll keep them to myself for now. In my head, I've already drawn the line in the sand. I'm tired of giving and giving (yeah, I helped out with evacuees at Reed Arena here in CS and at the Astrodome... and donated what little money I had when this happened) when they just use our generosity as a crutch.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
My daughter spent last weekend in New Orleans and got a taste of this. She ate out every meal, spending her hard earned money, and was treated like dirt. The wait staff at every place she ate was rude and hardly acknowledged her presence. She felt like a bad person. She told me she said please and thank you to the waiters, but they didn't so much as grunt her way. In a time where I preach to extend a helping hand, it was very sad to hear this. She ended up hating New Orleans. What a shame. Shame on them! I totally agree...bad things happen, they happen to us all.....but at some point you have to get over it and pull yourself up and go on. I really don't know what will become of New Orleans if they are treating guests like that. Sad. I think Texans more than did their share and I am proud to say I am a Texan and proud of those Texans that took care of themselves! :mad: :(

AMEN SISTER!!

Phil C
04-27-2006, 10:57 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd say us taxpayers need to be shown some compassion.
Funny but I ran into a classmate the other day who was living in New Orleans for the last 15 or so years. He was stuck in that city after Katrina, but made it out of there, ON HIS OWN after four days. Is it possible that while we were all horrified watching what was going on at the convention center and the super dome, that the govement wasn't to blame? That's were the blame has been pointed to since this started.
Ironic, isn't it? Are these folks in Austin the very same people who refused to take responsibility for themselves immediately after Katrina, now refusing to seek work? Seems pretty consistant to me in their efforts.:o