PDA

View Full Version : Beeville in the news

spiveyrat
04-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Wish I could put the rolleyes smiley in the title of this one. :rolleyes:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA042606.01A.gas_boycott.a7f4954.html

LH Panther Mom
04-27-2006, 07:44 AM
$1.30/gal? :crazy: :crazy:

pirate44
04-27-2006, 07:49 AM
genius..total genius :rolleyes:

Phil C
04-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Way to go Jimmy! You go Bee County!

Phil C
04-27-2006, 08:37 AM
HOW ABOUT THAT JIMMY MARTINEZ AND BEE COUNTY FIGHTING THE FAT CATS! BEST FIGHT AGAINST THE FAT CATS WE EVER HAD!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
04-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
HOW ABOUT THAT JIMMY MARTINEZ AND BEE COUNTY FIGHTING THE FAT CATS! BEST FIGHT AGAINST THE FAT CATS WE EVER HAD!!

Actually, it will be more of a fight against an independent businessman. One station will not affect any "fat cats", but could very well cause a family to lose their means of support. ;)

Phil C
04-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Actually, it will be more of a fight against an independent businessman. One station will not affect any "fat cats", but could very well cause a family to lose their means of support. ;)

But maybe just maybe this is just a spark that may have nation wide implecations and it will all be because a Texas County Judge and from a small County actually stepped up against the Fat Cats. At least they are trying. Way to go Jimmy!

pirate44
04-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm ashamed to be a Bee county citizen after reading that in the paper yesterday. I plan on fueling up ONLY at Pantry Stores that feature Exxon gas just to spite this idiocy. Martinez has been making us a laughing stock ever since he took office.

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 10:45 AM
From caller.com:
Gas boycott will hurt local business, some say
Bee County votes for action to lower prices

By fanny s. chirinos Caller-Times
April 27, 2006

Boycott
Bee County commissioners voted in favor of a resolution to boycott ExxonMobil gas until pump prices drop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$2.94
Average price per gallon nationwide

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$2.78
ExxonMobil pump price Wednesday in Beeville

$1.30
Price per gallon commissioners seek through boycott

As the supervisor of three ExxonMobil stations in Beeville, Leticia Munoz worries about the future of her businesses.

Munoz, who works for the family-owned Pantry Convenience Stores, agrees with the Bee County commissioners that gasoline prices should be lower. But she doesn't think their call to boycott ExxonMobil is the way to do it.

"We need to re-evaluate this boycott before we start hurting individual business owners," Munoz said. "The local boycott will only affect us locally. The boycott would have to be a national one to make a dent.

"Even at that, the demand for gas drives the cost and unless we also start carpooling or riding bicycles, it won't make a difference. By going after the big companies, they're hurting the small retailers."

Bee County commissioners voted 4-1 Monday in favor of a resolution to boycott ExxonMobil gas beginning next week until prices drop to $1.30 per gallon. County Commissioner Susan C. Stasny opposed resolution.

The resolution comes amid national anxiety about increasing gas prices. Last week, prices for regular grade gasoline averaged $2.94 a gallon nationwide, a 23-cent increase in two weeks and 68 cents higher than a year ago.

Commissioner Eloy Rodriguez said the company was selected because it is the largest of the gas companies and a statement needed to be made.

"Prices are out of hand and we're trying to make a statement that we're not going to sit idly by while CEOs get $400 million retirement packages," Rodriguez said.

Bee County commissioners have been citing the reported $400 million package received by outgoing ExxonMobil CEO Lee Raymond and noting that Bee County's median income is about two-thirds the state average of $40,000.

But Rodriguez said he was unaware, when he voted, that local stations sold ExxonMobil.

"I can't take it back because I've already voted on it,"Rodriguez said. "I've spoken to Leticia Munoz and told her the intent was not to hurt her business."

Asked what was the point of a boycott if he thought there were no ExxonMobil stations in the county, Rodriguez hung up the phone.

Other commissioners and County Judge Jimmy Martinez couldn't be reached Wednesday.

Munoz said her prices depend on the price she pays distributors. Prices also are dependent on other variables such as competitors, credit card fees and overhead, she said.

"(Wednesday) the gas sold for $2.77 and I sold it for $2.78. I'm making a penny a gallon," she said. "If a customer buys it with a credit card, I have to pay a fee and I lose that penny. The only way I can make any money is if the same customer comes in and buys a drink or chips."

Carl Pope, executive director of the Sierra Club, said cutting America's oil dependence by getting more from a gallon of gas is the biggest single step toward saving money at the gas pump.

"The technology exists today to make all cars, SUVs and other light trucks average 40 miles per gallon within the next 10 years," said Pope, blaming the Bush administration for failing to put the technology to work.

The Energy Information Administration, the fact-gathering arm of the U.S. Department of Energy, says boycotts by individual consumers or even individual countries would not work toward reducing gasoline prices. Overall consumer demand would remain unchanged and would only result in a temporary reduction in the market share of that one company, in this case ExxonMobil.

The administration also says change can occur if enough consumers buy gas in areas with the lowest price, which forces competitors to lower their prices. Consumers can further impact the market by reducing consumption by driving more energy-efficient vehicles.

Mac McMullen, a Beeville resident who works as a simulator instructor at Naval Air Station Kingsville, drives 800 miles a week to work and back. He carpools with a coworker and they alternate vehicles each week. He said he isn't happy with gas prices, but there's only so much he can do.

"The only way to force prices down is by conserving it, pressuring the Middle Eastern countries to lower the price of crude oil and lowering state and federal taxes on gasoline," McMullen said. "I just don't know how to do it. I have to drive to work and I refuse to move to Kingsville.

"I also think the commissioners are wrong for interfering with local, private business and I don't think it would do any good. It's only going to hurt the retailers."

"I can't take it back because I've already voted on it,"Rodriguez said. "I've spoken to Leticia Munoz and told her the intent was not to hurt her business."

Asked what was the point of a boycott if he thought there were no ExxonMobil stations in the county, Rodriguez hung up the phone.
I can't take it back. lol Well, sure you can.

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 10:50 AM
There is supposed to be a press conference taking place at the Bee County Justice Center at 11 am featuring MSNBC, the BBC, and local NBC and CBS affiliates. KIII has apparently refused to come as they cannot afford the gas. Martinez has also been offered a flight to NYC to present this on a more national level. Apparently people in the northeast forgot what an idiot looked like.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2006, 10:53 AM
If all the immigrants are staying home on May 1st...that oughta boycott alot of gas stations around the country!

I don't know about yall, but I am definately going to Wal-Mart that day!!

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If all the immigrants are staying home on May 1st...that oughta boycott alot of gas stations around the country!

I don't know about yall, but I am definately going to Wal-Mart that day!!

:rolleyes:

Don't be surprised when the floors are filthy, aisles aren't stocked, and there are no shopping carts available.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
:rolleyes:

Don't be surprised when the floors are filthy, aisles aren't stocked, and there are no shopping carts available.

I don't mind fetching my own basket from the parking lot!!

Anyway, it was just a joke...CHILL!!

Geez.....everyone is so SENSITIVE these days!!http://www.mambers.com/images/smilies/sm/sigh.gif

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:13 AM

Geez.....everyone is so SENSITIVE these days!!http://www.mambers.com/images/smilies/sm/sigh.gif

Not sensitive. Just annoyed. :D

Ranger Mom
04-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Not sensitive. Just annoyed. :D

Well good, if I have annoyed you, then my work here is done!!:p

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Well good, if I have annoyed you, then my work here is done!!:p

Annoyed by the stupidity of our county government. You're not off the clock yet. :p

Phil C
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Annoyed by the stupidity of our county government. You're not off the clock yet. :p

Hey that's Mr. Martinez and Bee County you are talking about!

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 11:21 AM

LOL!
Should you start a new "New Downlow vs. Old Downlow" thread? :clap: :D :clap:
It's about time isn't it?;)

spiveyrat
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I plan on fueling up ONLY at Pantry Stores that feature Exxon gas just to spite this idiocy.

If I lived around there, that's exactly what I'd do to show that family my support.

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Yup, the same idiot who wasted $300,000 worth of tax money to lease a beat up building for two years while our piece of junk courthouse got rennovated with state money that could have gone toward education. Yeah. Thanks Mr. Martinez.

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Said old building is owned by Martinez's largest campaign contributor.

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey that's Mr. Martinez and Bee County you are talking about!
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! to the Bee County residents... :p

Phil C
04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Yup, the same idiot who wasted $300,000 worth of tax money to lease a beat up building for two years while our piece of junk courthouse got rennovated with state money that could have gone toward education. Yeah. Thanks Mr. Martinez.

He wasn't mayor at that time!

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:25 AM
He wasn't mayor at that time!

Beeville mayor has no power. Martinez is the Bee County judge and abused his power to help the interests of his financial supporters. I know it happens everywhere, but at least most other officials try and make it a little less obvious. Santiago couldn't even run a restaurant, much less a county.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Seems May 1st is a popular date this year, still few days for some more demands on May 1st :doh: The new Texas Hero Jimmy Martinez standing up to the Big Boys while stepping on the little people

sinfan75
04-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Actually there's an e-mail goin around asking evryone to boycott all stores that sell exxon-mobile fuel. I never have any way. i always go to Valero.

Ranger Mom
04-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
Actually there's an e-mail goin around asking evryone to boycott all stores that sell exxon-mobile fuel. I never have any way. i always go to Valero.

It doesn't matter to me....I am going to wherever the gas is the cheapest....PERIOD!!!

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Valero is usually the cheaper one. Regardless, the lesser of two evils is still evil. While Exxon announced today the fifth highest quarterly profit ever by a public company, Valero earlier this week announced an increase in annual profit of over 50%.

Like them apples, Mr. Creeper?

Phil C
04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Beeville mayor has no power. Martinez is the Bee County judge and abused his power to help the interests of his financial supporters. I know it happens everywhere, but at least most other officials try and make it a little less obvious. Santiago couldn't even run a restaurant, much less a county.

He wasn't the judge at the time they rented the building.

sinfan75
04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
They're all makin money or else they wouldn't be in business. Besides you'd be surprised where some of Exxons gas comes from. I've seen exxon transports comin out of every refinery in corpus.

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
He wasn't the judge at the time they rented the building.

Yes he was. I've been here long enough to remember the fiasco which is still going on today as Bee County citizens continue the fight against him and the commissioners along with Lorenzo Property management.

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
They're all makin money or else they wouldn't be in business. Besides you'd be surprised where some of Exxons gas comes from. I've seen exxon transports comin out of every refinery in corpus.

Money I don't mind. We all try to make it. However, having politicians with oil interests has lead to the granting of billions of the dollars of tax breaks and subsidies. With all this free money, the oil companies could easily afford to provide cheaper gas, but no, they simply line their pockets with record profits.

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm ashamed to be a Bee county citizen after reading that in the paper yesterday. I plan on fueling up ONLY at Pantry Stores that feature Exxon gas just to spite this idiocy. Martinez has been making us a laughing stock ever since he took office.

Don't worry, I bet he and four commissioners have just made the worst political mistake of their careers. If, as you said, this makes national news, others ... just like you...won't take kindly to being made fun of.

Hopefully, you can say adios come election time...:cool:

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 12:11 PM
This boycott has certainly ticked off the small business community which I am proud to be a part of. My stepmother knows Leti Munoz well, and her daughter is a Bee County princess along with my younger sister. Martinez and the commissioners who voted along with him have committed political career suicide by going against a community comprised primarily of small businesses.

AP Panther Fan
04-27-2006, 12:17 PM
This boycott has certainly ticked off the small business community which I am proud to be a part of. My stepmother knows Leti Munoz well, and her daughter is a Bee County princess along with my younger sister. Martinez and the commissioners who voted along with him have committed political career suicide by going against a community comprised primarily of small businesses.

:clap: :clap: :clap: You and others will need to remind the voters...make sure nobody has developed long-term memory problems.

This should get interesting, I will be sure to watch the evening news.

Gobbla2001
04-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I haven't read anything but the article, so I appologize for stealing someone's thunder if I do, but this Boycott is kind of rediculous...

#1 Exxon will still be making their money when it comes to the suits... but the guys and gals out in the field, the guys and gals behind the counter and the distributors who gets most of their business from Exxons are going to suffer the most...

#2 Yah, I'd like to be buying cheap gas right now, but why can't a company make money?

Say I sell hamburgers... It costs me 1 dollar to make a hamburger... so I charge 2 dollars when I sell them so I end making a dollar profit...

Say I sell 5 hamburgers one day, I profit 5 dollars...

Well, lets say the next day it's going to cost me 2 (I edited it, typed in the wrong number) dollars to make a hamburger... So I use the same formula I've been using to make my profit... charge double of what it costs me to make it (4 dollars...

So I sell 5 hamburgers again... this time I profit 10 dollars... still using the same formula... Exxon's probably using the same formula they have been using for years when it comes to charging for their product...

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 12:51 PM
There is supposed to be a press conference taking place at the Bee County Justice Center at 11 am featuring MSNBC, the BBC, and local NBC and CBS affiliates. KIII has apparently refused to come as they cannot afford the gas. Martinez has also been offered a flight to NYC to present this on a more national level. Apparently people in the northeast forgot what an idiot looked like.
Can someone explain to me how this is worthy of national news? It defies any common sense.:eek:

Blastoderm55
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Can someone explain to me how this is worthy of national news? It defies any common sense.:eek:

Its not worthy, but its apparently the first effort of its kind in the nation. And I think the people at Kicker were flattering themselves when names of that caliber were mentioned.

Phil C
04-27-2006, 01:30 PM
It's all the Fat Cats' fault! :mad:

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 01:37 PM
It's all the Fat Cats' fault! :mad:
Even fat cats were skinny once. :nerd:

Blastoderm55
12-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that good ole Santiago "Jimmy" Martinez lost his bid for re-election. Our new judge is Mr. David Silva. Mr. Silva seems to be a much more honest man in his previous dealings as a Municiple Court judge, and is also that pastor at my grandparents' former church in Mathis. Things should definitely be better under his administration.

Phil C
12-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm and I notice gasoline prices have been slowly rising the past few days.

Blastoderm55
12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hmmmm and I notice gasoline prices have been slowly rising the past few days.

:eek: You're absolutely right, Phil!