PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Aledo's move

bearcat1
02-10-2002, 01:31 PM
I have been reading with interest how many of the posters feel that aledo is basically washed up, hopeless, and on the 'decline'. I'd like to say a few things about this. Yes I am an Aledo supporter so I am surely biased. However, a couple of years worth of slim pickins does not a 'program on decline' make. Every school (ok, save Celina) has a few years where there isn't as much talent. However, the well has not run dry. Aledo is no different than any other school. Now add to this a rise to 4A. School's who jump up a class have traditionally had an 'adjustment period' in which they were not as successful as they were previously. Especially when they previously played teams twice their size. Aledo is no exception I am sure. However, they have the #'s to compete in 4A. They also have a tremendously talented coaching staff who I sincerely believe can guide them to success in 4A. if they fail to make the playoffs this season, this will not mean they are a 'program on the decline'. It will simply mean they are learning the ropes so to speak and preparing for 4A success. So to those who want to continue to say Aledo is on the 'decline', and seem to get off on the fact that they have been given this proverbial ticket to has-been land,...enjoy this I guess. Personally, I think they'll be just fine. Good Luck Bearcats. You have been ready for 4A for a while now. And as I said, coaching is not everything, but it is a pretty good trump card to have.
bc

Old Green
02-10-2002, 01:47 PM
You are right bearcat1. A schools talent pool varies from year to year. you can still be competitive even if you are notblowing teams away. A move up in class is always hard the first year.
When Cuero dropped to 3A from 4A in 82 they took the teams for granted and did not make the playoffs its first year.
A strong attitude and work ethic can improve a teams chances of success.

bearcat1
02-10-2002, 02:06 PM
The same thing went on when Alvarado dropped down, and everyone said oh they will win it all. That isn't always true. And SL Carroll rose to 4A and had it rough for a while, but I would say that the dragons are doing just fine now and holding their own. It is just a process of adjustment, utilizing your talent, modifying or maybe changing your schemes to fit your new level of play, and maybe just a little luck. Carry on Bearcats.
bc

Originally posted by Old Green:
You are right bearcat1. A schools talent pool varies from year to year. you can still be competitive even if you are notblowing teams away. A move up in class is always hard the first year.
When Cuero dropped to 3A from 4A in 82 they took the teams for granted and did not make the playoffs its first year.
A strong attitude and work ethic can improve a teams chances of success.

Old Green
02-10-2002, 02:35 PM
Well said Bearcat1. Adjust to what you have things will fall in to place.

deliriousmaniac
02-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Aledo is returning more starters than in recent years, they have 6 on offense, and 6 on defense, not to mention the 7-3A MVP Brock Newton. Aledo isn't going to be pushed around. I think they will make the playoffs.

Gobbla2001
02-13-2002, 09:02 AM
I personally do not believe that Aledo will take that long to make the playoffs... It's just up a class... Just remember that 3A teams play 4A teams all of the time and they beat them, that doesn't really mean TOO much when it comes to district games etc... But still, it's just one classification, they'll have to change the way the game is played and coached, but in the end they'll be pretty good in 4A, don't be shocked to see them on top of 4A in the near future (on top NOT meaning a S'Ville or anything, but always in the playoffs)...

And JASPER, dammit, they won't win it all... Geez... We play different ball here in 3A, hard-nosed and we LOVE playing 4A teams... Adios!!!

Jacket2000
02-13-2002, 10:08 AM
G, I gotta disagree with ya there. Having played in both, I have to say that there's a pretty big jump from 3a to 4a. Yes, I know that there are always exceptional 3a teams that will beat 4a teams, but for the most part, the jump between the two classes is bigger than any other two. For example, it wouldnt suprise me to see the undefeated 2000 Sonora state championship team beat the undefeated 2000 Gatesville championship team. But, G'ville wouldnt stand much of a chance against an Ennis, or a Denton Ryan, or a Smithson Valley, etc.. But, Id put the 2001 Ennis team against the 2001 Lufkin team any day, and Id probably put my money on Ennis.
Im sure that Aledo will adjust to their new surroundings, but I dont think it'll be a soon as people think. Not saying that they'll go 0-10 in the meantime, but I dont see a playoff berth this season. Also, at the rate Aledo's growing, they might be 5a sooner than people think(ie Frisco).
J2K

cat48
02-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
G, I gotta disagree with ya there. Having played in both, I have to say that there's a pretty big jump from 3a to 4a. Yes, I know that there are always exceptional 3a teams that will beat 4a teams, but for the most part, the jump between the two classes is bigger than any other two. For example, it wouldnt suprise me to see the undefeated 2000 Sonora state championship team beat the undefeated 2000 Gatesville championship team. But, G'ville wouldnt stand much of a chance against an Ennis, or a Denton Ryan, or a Smithson Valley, etc.. But, Id put the 2001 Ennis team against the 2001 Lufkin team any day, and Id probably put my money on Ennis.
Im sure that Aledo will adjust to their new surroundings, but I dont think it'll be a soon as people think. Not saying that they'll go 0-10 in the meantime, but I dont see a playoff berth this season. Also, at the rate Aledo's growing, they might be 5a sooner than people think(ie Frisco).
J2K

What do you have against aledo? Once again everybody is saying that aledo should adjust quickly but you still believe that they are on a decline. Maybe you should actual look at what aledo has and then make your judgement off that. So do your homework before you come on here and make bogus statements. A little hint if you're not sure go with the majority it is usually right on here.

Jacket2000
02-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Ya know, I really dont care enough about Aledo to discuss this any further. I dont think they'll be in the playoffs for the next two years, you do. Fine. You have your opinion and I have mine. As an adminstrator of this site, my research is mostly limited to 3a football. Aledo is no longer in this classification, therefore, they rank pretty low on my give-a-damn meter at this point. So,I am officially withdrawing from this debate.If you'd like to continue it without me, be my guest. You're more than welcome to.
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited February 13, 2002).]

Gobbla2001
02-17-2002, 05:53 PM
Well tell me the last time the UIL based classifications on the size of the athletes... I said they'd make the playoffs, didn't say they'd win district with teams like B'wood and S'ville in that district... But Granbury? Joshua? I will say those are two teams Aledo really doesn't need to worry about... Granbury is the pot head capitol of the world and I've never heard of anyone come out of there and be a success (my step-brother moved there a good ole Christian boy and came back a kid who had tried every drug on the planet)... They get beat by 3A's that don't make the playoffs quite often, the Pirates have NO program... I'll say they do have a very nice lake and a very nice history on the town, but that's about it... Joshua on the other hand, not as bad of a town as Granbury, but not as good of a football team, Aledo should be fine minus having to play S'ville and B'wood... (and that other team I keep forgetting about)...

As for largest jump up in classification? be serious, it's 6-man and 1A, you have to change your whole program man... pshhh...

[This message has been edited by Gobbla2001 (edited February 17, 2002).]