PDA

View Full Version : Question for the locals by Kingsville

pancho villa
04-26-2006, 10:07 AM
What are the best eating places in Kingsville?

Adidas410s
04-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

The King Ranch...take your gun and I'm sure you can find some top quality beef out there! ;)

turbostud
04-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The King Ranch...take your gun and I'm sure you can find some top quality beef out there! ;)
There is plenty of Javelina and Turkey. I used to see Javelina dead on the side of the road on US77 when I worked in CC. Sometimes I would see a whole family of Javelina wiped out.

SintonFan_inAustin
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
i hear the Whataburger is a good place to eat at in Kingsville, but i usually stop at the Burger King instead:) . King Ave and 14th st if u drive down either one u should find something u like

BU97
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Kingsville does not have much variety.

pancho villa
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
You would think they would have a great place to eat tacos.
I mean come on.

District303aPastPlayer
04-26-2006, 10:34 AM
You would think they would have a great place to eat tacos.
I mean come on.

mom and pop taqueria's are all over the place..

SintonFan_inAustin
04-26-2006, 10:37 AM
i am going to Fal in a few hours after i go to Flour Bluff and i'll pass by Kingsville and jot down some eating places for u or on my way back from Fal:)

pancho villa
04-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
i am going to Fal in a few hours after i go to Flour Bluff and i'll pass by Kingsville and jot down some eating places for u or on my way back from Fal:)

I want to know the good places. I can find Whataburger and McDonalds.

AP Panther Fan
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Joe Cotton's in Robstown.:D

Not that far and worth the drive.

piratebg
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
mom and pop taqueria's are all over the place..

Can't go wrong with those. In fact, I think I might order Mexican for lunch.

piratebg
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

I think I have two tickets for two free meals at Joe Cotton's somewhere in my house.

BU97
04-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

What kind of a place is Joe Cotton's?

big daddy russ
If you don't mind driving about 10 miles south, the best place in the Kingsville area is the King's Inn between Kingsville and Riviera. Great seafood, and I'm very picky about mine. Just head south on 77, look for the billboard on the left side of the road. Hang a left, drive about five miles towards the coast.

District303aPastPlayer
Originally posted by piratebg
Can't go wrong with those. In fact, I think I might order Mexican for lunch.

leon's or are you at work?

District303aPastPlayer
Originally posted by BU97
What kind of a place is Joe Cotton's?

best barbecue in Texas... no lie...

piratebg
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM

I don't think my toilet can take Leon's again. :D

District303aPastPlayer
04-26-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't think my toilet can take Leon's again. :D

that stuff will run through you like Mexico's water through a first time tourist.

pirate4state
04-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If you don't mind driving about 10 miles south, the best place in the Kingsville area is the King's Inn between Kingsville and Riviera. Great seafood, and I'm very picky about mine. Just head south on 77, look for the billboard on the left side of the road. Hang a left, drive about five miles towards the coast. They get pretty busy on Saturday's though.

pirate4state
04-26-2006, 10:44 AM
best barbecue in Texas... no lie... eh, they are okay...I wouldn't say best unless you've tried ALL the BBQ joints in Texas. I'd say it is probably the best in the area, but then that is just my opinion. ;)

pancho villa
04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Went to Joe Cottons last year was very disapointed after all the hype.

pancho villa
04-26-2006, 10:48 AM
If you don't mind driving about 10 miles south, the best place in the Kingsville area is the King's Inn between Kingsville and Riviera. Great seafood, and I'm very picky about mine. Just head south on 77, look for the billboard on the left side of the road. Hang a left, drive about five miles towards the coast.

Thanks!

big daddy russ
04-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Went to Joe Cottons last year was very disapointed after all the hype.
Yeah, Joe Cotten's is overrated. I think the best place in the CC area are the Mac's Pit BBQ's.

Adidas410s
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM

I definitely agree with Russ. I haven't been there in 10 years but we went 4 or 5 times the year that I lived in Corpus Christi and it was great every time! :D

olddawggreen
04-26-2006, 10:59 AM

ditto on the Kings Inn, closed on Sunday and Monday I think. It has been there since the late 40's or early 50's. One of the best sea food places in Texas, served platter style. I used to rate it right up there with the old San Jacinto Inn and Sartin's. Worth the drive. :) :)

LHSEagleFan
04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Try Danny Youngs if you want pizza or subs, just a short distance from the stadium.

Phil C
04-26-2006, 04:28 PM
There is a good Mexican Food restaurant called El Jardin. I am not sure of the exact address but you can ask for directions. I think it is on Lee Street.

sinton66
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
In Kingsville, I would recommend the Wild Horse Desert Saloon Cafe located at 221 E. Kleberg Ave.
361-592-7036

Best BBQ in the area is at Miller's BBQ at 10305 Leopard (Tuloso-Midway area) in Corpus Christi. Next best is BBQ Man on I37 past SH358 in Corpus Christi, but they think so too.;) Miller's is better and more reasonably priced.

big daddy russ
04-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by LHSEagleFan
Try Danny Youngs if you want pizza or subs, just a short distance from the stadium.
Young's Pizza is just a cool place. When all my buddies from HS were still at A&I, that's where we'd eat everytime I was down.

pirate44
04-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Young's Pizza is just a cool place. When all my buddies from HS were still at A&I, that's where we'd eat everytime I was down.
foods not great, but i like the atmosphere and its close to the college. also theres a little cafe in the pharmacy downtown. stop by if you want to visit the saddle shop across the street.

olddawggreen
04-26-2006, 08:07 PM
If your in Kingsville, just run on in to Corpus and stop at the Astor, great steaks and they have the old Ship Ahoy shrimp receipe:) Great prices, mostly locals.

pirate44
04-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
If your in Kingsville, just run on in to Corpus and stop at the Astor, great steaks and they have the old Ship Ahoy shrimp receipe:) Great prices, mostly locals.
not to mention all the little friends crawling around to keep you company.

Highschoolfan78
04-26-2006, 10:44 PM
there's a great pizza parlor we went to when I was at regional tennis back in the day.. dont remember the name of it

olddawggreen
04-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
not to mention all the little friends crawling around to keep you company.

Ouch:eek:

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I'll agree with fofo on this. The Astor needs major renovations(pertaining to cleanlingness) imo. My parents insist on still going there occasionally, but it looks dirty and run down. I loved the Astor when they were in their prime but they really need to do a better job keeping it clean.:(
What's funny about that place is they haven't changed their look since they opened.
They had the best green goddess dressing around. If you loved gahhhhhh-lic then this was your dressing. Goodness you burb gahhhhhh-lic for hours.
They also had the best cream of chicken soup, croutons and califlower.:cool: These days there's not much califlower in the side dish and the croutons, well, you have to fight for them.:(
I'd love for them to clean up their act.:)

piratebg
04-27-2006, 11:09 AM

Just so you know, I ended up going to Leon's for dinner last night, against my better judgement, because of this conversation. You owe me a plunger, toilet brush, Charmin, and a Glade Air Freshner.

SintonFan
04-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Just so you know, I ended up going to Leon's for dinner last night, against my better judgement, because of this conversation. You owe me a plunger, toilet brush, Charmin, and a Glade Air Freshner.
I'd ask for the stuff with aloe and vitamin e.:D

sinfan75
04-27-2006, 11:40 AM
There's a place on hiway 141 on the west side of town on the left goin west. gets real crowded at lunch. had a a steak in there that was good.

44INAROW
04-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Leon isn't a long-lost member of the Schitt Family is he? :D

piratebg
04-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Leon isn't a long-lost member of the Schitt Family is he? :D

No, but he is a silent partner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc.

sinfan75
04-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I eat there quite a bit and I never have no problems. I guess the Budweiser keeps it in check.:D

44INAROW
04-27-2006, 11:49 AM
No, but he is a silent partner of Needeep N. Schitt, Inc.

I heard there is a 2nd partner - but he's not as silent as Needeep - His name is Flat Chu Lance :D (OK that was a stretch) :cool:

pirate44
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'll agree with fofo on this. The Astor needs major renovations(pertaining to cleanlingness) imo. My parents insist on still going there occasionally, but it looks dirty and run down. I loved the Astor when they were in their prime but they really need to do a better job keeping it clean.:(
What's funny about that place is they haven't changed their look since they opened.
They had the best green goddess dressing around. If you loved gahhhhhh-lic then this was your dressing. Goodness you burb gahhhhhh-lic for hours.
They also had the best cream of chicken soup, croutons and califlower.:cool: These days there's not much califlower in the side dish and the croutons, well, you have to fight for them.:(
I'd love for them to clean up their act.:)
i couldnt agree more. the place has great food. and many courses for the price. but what i dont understand is that they are constantly packed. no place to park, yet they cant clean it up. i know they have their problems, but i will still go there. im sure theres not a place in town that doesnt.