PDA

View Full Version : Job opening: Rangers looking for a Closer

SintonFan_inAustin
04-25-2006, 09:57 PM
:doh: 3rd game in a row he cant hold the lead and with at least 2 runs to spare. Time for him to go to setup role and Texas look for a new closer.

VWG
04-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I wonder how long will Showalter keep running him out there?

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
This just furthers my claims about relief pitchers being 2nd rate to starters. Unless your name is Mariano Rivera...you are a just a flash in the pan waiting for your 15 seconds of fame to run out.

District303aPastPlayer
04-26-2006, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
This just furthers my claims about relief pitchers being 2nd rate to starters. Unless your name is Mariano Rivera...you are a just a flash in the pan waiting for your 15 seconds of fame to run out.

Gagne wasnt hittable for the longest time.. then surgery came a callin..

sahen
04-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I wouldnt call Wagner, Hoffman, and Gagne flashes in teh pan...those r 3 that i can think of off the top of my head, im sure there r more...

Adidas410s
04-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by sahen
I wouldnt call Wagner, Hoffman, and Gagne flashes in teh pan...those r 3 that i can think of off the top of my head, im sure there r more...

1. Wagner - Would be the closest thing to Rivera but has been riddled with injuries.

2. Hoffman - Was dominantant from mid 90's until about 2002...injuries have slowed him down and is not near as effective since then. Also, he is not being able to pitch as often as he used to. He is averaging about 15 innings fewer than what he was doing 5 years ago.

3. Gagne - Was dominant from 2002-04...been on the DL most of the time since then. I wonder if we will ever hear much from him in the future.

They are good closers don't get me wrong. The point I was making is that closers come and go. Heck the A's have gone from Izzy(99-01) to Koch ('02) to Foulke('03) to Dotel and bullpen by committee (04-05) to Street (late '05 - present) and they have continued to have success. There are many other teams that have been top teams lately that have a different closer just about every year except for the Yankees. As vital as a closer is to a team being successful, very rarely do you find one person that you will stick with for a long time. Try this comparison:

MLB closing pitcher = NFL kicker.

Look no further than Vinatieri and Vanderjagt. You would think that Pats and Colts would want to keep those guys around because they are the best in the business. Wrong...Vinatieri is now with the Colts and Vanderjagt is now with the Cowboys.

I say all that to try and say this...there are definitely good closers (and kickers) in the game...but once they don't perform you can always find somebody else to replace them. They aren't like any other player on the team. They have exactly 1 role that they have to be able to execute...and execute all the time because (as much if not more than any other player) they can impact the W/L column!

Cameron Crazy
04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Did anyone see mench's grand slam

DUKE22
04-26-2006, 04:03 PM
He just gave up another homer in the 9th.

lostaussie
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
they better hurry. things are getting ugly in arlington:(

mrescape43
04-26-2006, 08:27 PM
Dennis Eckersley.

20 game winner as starter.
won Cy Young award as reliever. 1992 had 51 saves.
4 seasons w/40 or more saves.
Only pitcher to have 100 saves and 100 complete games.

I believe he is only pitcher to have won 20 games in a season and have 50 or more saves in a season.

GreenMonster
04-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I was a huge fan of Lee Smith growing up. He was a closer for many years when closers were expected to be able to close a game out starting as early as the 7th inning. He was the premier closer in the National League for close to 10 years.