PDA

View Full Version : Horns, Hogs to resume football rivalry

kepdawg
04-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Horns, Hogs to resume football rivalry

Former SWC rivals will meet in 2008 and '09

05:35 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Texas and Arkansas have orally agreed to resume their once-intense Southwest Conference rivalry beginning in 2008, according to a UT source.

Under the agreement, which has not been finalized with a contract, Texas and Arkansas would play in Austin in 2008 and in Fayetteville in 2009.

There is also internal discussion that the Texas-Arkansas rivalry could continue beyond 2009 on an annual basis in Dallas – most likely at the Cowboys’ new stadium in Arlington – if the Longhorns opt not to renew their current agreement to play Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl, the source said.

Texas and OU have a contract to play at the Cotton Bowl through the 2008 season with an opt-out clause after the 2007 game. Texas officials, however, have told Dallas officials they will not opt out of the contract after the 2007 game and will play OU at the Cotton Bowl in 2008, the source said.

If the Texas-Oklahoma series goes home-and-home beginning in 2009, the first on-campus game between the two schools would be in Austin. Texas officials are very interested in continuing to have a presence in Dallas if the Texas-OU game leaves the Cotton Bowl and have talked to SMU and TCU about scheduling home-and-home series in the future.

With regard to the future of the Texas-Oklahoma game at the Cotton Bowl, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Monday he expects to notify Dallas officials of the school’s long-term plans within the next month.

“We’ve got to decide what we’re going to do, so they can decide,” Dodds said.

Dodds has repeatedly said he doesn’t want a proposed bond election that would raise taxpayer money to improve the Cotton Bowl to depend on the future plans of UT.

Arkansas coach Houston Nutt talked to the Little Rock Touchdown Club on Tuesday and couldn’t conceal the news about the upcoming home-and-home series with Texas.

“I’m not supposed to, but evidently it’s out,” Nutt said, drawing a laugh. “I was told by [athletic director Frank] Broyles and [executive associate athletic director] Bill Gray not to say nothing. And I’ve already been asked three times since I walked in this room, so y’all know more than I do.”

Texas and Arkansas met in 2003 in Austin and in 2004 in Fayetteville. The Razorbacks beat Texas in Austin (38-28), while the Longhorns won in Fayetteville (22-20).

The rivalry dates back decades, punctuated by one of the biggest college football games ever played. In 1969, top-ranked Texas beat No. 2 Arkansas, 15-14, in front of President Nixon en route to the national title.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

E-mail chipbrown@dallasnews.com

Aesculus gilmus
04-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Arkansas really blew it when they left the SWC to go to the SEC. No one in Texas has cared whether they even field a team ever since then.

I never thought I'd say this considering what a big rivalry it used to be, but I don't see Arkansas-Texas as anything to look forward to anymore.

Had Arkansas played its cards right, it could have been folded into the Big 12 when the SWC collapsed. Then Baylor could have gone into one of the minor conferences and competed successfully on that level, just as TCU has done.

I think it was Broyles' idea to go to the SEC. He destroyed Arkansas' chances of ever being a contender—in football anyway.

Phil C
04-26-2006, 08:29 AM
A bad move which can only help Arkansas recruiting in Texas. When I think of Arkansas I think of that dirty play when that Arkansas defender tried to twish Vince Young's ankle and nothing was done about it. And this was on National TV seen by millions of people.

raider red 2000
04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Arkansas really blew it when they left the SWC to go to the SEC. No one in Texas has cared whether they even field a team ever since then.

I never thought I'd say this considering what a big rivalry it used to be, but I don't see Arkansas-Texas as anything to look forward to anymore.

Had Arkansas played its cards right, it could have been folded into the Big 12 when the SWC collapsed. Then Baylor could have gone into one of the minor conferences and competed successfully on that level, just as TCU has done.

I think it was Broyles' idea to go to the SEC. He destroyed Arkansas' chances of ever being a contender—in football anyway.

baylor was always going to be part of the big 12. even if ARK was coming into it, it would not hve been possible to leave baylor out. when the big 12 got started the state of texas had a gov named ann richards, who was a baylor girl. she wasnt going to let UT ATM and TECH go with out taking baylor with em.

i think that arkansas is gooding the better end of the deal in the game. it helps them recruit texas players. it dosnt help texas at all i dont think.

Aesculus gilmus
04-26-2006, 09:34 AM
I think the more powerful political figure at that time was Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock. And he was a Baylor alum also.

So I agree with you that Baylor called in its political chits.

That doesn't mean that Baylor will ever compete successfully in Big 12 football. Let me know if they ever win a title—even a South Division one. I won't hold my breath.

raider red 2000
04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
heck, i dont know if TECH will ever wina south title...much less a confrence title. Baylor who knows about em...i will cheer em on against the AGS though.

Phil C
04-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I think the more powerful political figure at that time was Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock. And he was a Baylor alum also.

So I agree with you that Baylor called in its political chits.

That doesn't mean that Baylor will ever compete successfully in Big 12 football. Let me know if they ever win a title—even a South Division one. I won't hold my breath.

Hey Aes Baylor has won a national championship in men's tennis!