View Full Version : Daniel Gibson to Enter the NBA Draft

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 02:21 PM
UT's Gibson declares for draft
Sophomore guard won't hire agent, has option of returning to school

11:49 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 25, 2006
By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/04-06/0426gibson.jpg

AUSTIN – Texas sophomore guard Daniel Gibson followed junior forward P.J. Tucker into the NBA Draft on Tuesday and like Tucker will not hire an agent.

"Playing in the NBA has always been a dream for me since I was a little kid," Gibson said. "Right now, I have the opportunity to test the waters to see where I stand. If I'm comfortable with where I feel I'll be drafted, I'll stay in the draft. If not, I'll be back."

Gibson's decision is a complete 180 degrees from where he was on April 10, when he said emphatically that he would be back at Texas and would reserve the right to test the NBA waters without an agent after his junior season.

Players only get one chance to enter the NBA draft without an agent while holding the option of returning to college. Gibson will not be allowed to do this again.

Gibson's father, Byron, who played basketball at the University of Houston for Guy Lewis, said even before the Texas basketball banquet on April 10 that he thought it would be a good idea for his son to gauge the NBA's interest by working out for teams.

Byron Gibson also said Daniel wanted to play point guard at Texas because that's the position he played with success as a freshman and the position he'll play in the NBA.

"Daniel's a point guard," Byron Gibson said, adding that he's talked to NBA personnel who say his son is a "first-round" pick.

Byron Gibson didn't sound pleased that Daniel was moved off the point this season and that incoming freshman D.J. Augustin and sophomore-to-be A.J. Abrams were being talked about in news reports as the future point guards of the team.

With high school players ineligible to enter this year's draft, the opportunity for Gibson might be too great to ignore jumping to the NBA.

After averaging 14.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists as a freshman, Gibson averaged 13.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists as a sophomore.

Gibson is the third Longhorn to declare for this year's draft, joining LaMarcus Aldridge and Tucker. Aldridge is hiring an agent. Tucker and Gibson have until June 18 to withdraw their names from the draft-eligible list.

If all three stay in the draft, Texas would lose all five starters from last year, including seniors Brad Buckman and Kenton Paulino.

"I have no problem with Daniel attempting to find out what his status may be in the upcoming draft," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "This is a good rule put in place for players to explore their draft status."

E-mail chipbrown@dallasnews.com

Bulldog_12
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
Old news. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43896)

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Old news. (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43896)

That was all rumors...this is facts! ;)

Maroon87
04-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Good to see "Pops" is not meddlesome in any way. Or biased.:rolleyes: