PDA

View Full Version : Bush Orders Gasoline Price Probe

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 02:20 PM
WASHINGTON – President Bush on Tuesday ordered a temporary suspension of environmental rules for gasoline, making it easier for refiners to meet demand and possibly dampen prices at the pump. He also halted for the summer the purchase of crude oil for the government's emergency reserve.

The moves came as political pressure intensified on Bush to do something about gasoline prices that are expected to stay high throughout the summer.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/04-06/0425bush.jpg
AP

President Bush delivers a speech on energy to the Renewable Fuels Association in Washington Tuesday. Bush said the nation's strategic petroleum reserve had enough fuel to guard against any major supply disruption over the next few months.

"So, by deferring deposits until the fall, we'll leave a little more oil on the market. Every little bit helps," he said.

Wholesale gasoline futures prices for June delivery dropped 8 cents a gallon to $2.10 on the New York Mercantile Exchange immediately upon Bush's remarks.

Easing the environment rules will allow refiners greater flexibility in providing oil supplies since they will not have to use certain additives such as ethanol to meet clean air standards. The suspension of oil purchases for the federal emergency oil reserve is likely to have only modest impact since relative little extra oil will be involved.

The high cost at the pump has turned into a major political issue, with Democrats and Republicans blaming each other for a problem that is largely out of Congress' control. Republicans are worried that voters paying more than $3 per gallon would punish the party in power. Democrats want to make that happen.

Bush said that high gasoline prices are like a hidden tax on consumers and businesses, although he said the nation's economy was strong. He urged Congress to take back some of the billions of dollars in tax incentives it gave energy companies, saying that with record profits, they don't need the breaks. He urged lawmakers to expand tax breaks for the purchase of fuel-efficient hybrid automobiles.

The president said Democrats in the past have urged higher taxes on fuel and price caps to control fuel expenses, but he said neither approach works. Instead, he called for increased conservation, an expansion of domestic production and increased use of alternative fuels like ethanol.

Bush said high energy prices are disturbing.

"Our addiction to oil is a matter of national security concerns," the president said in a speech to the Renewable Fuels Association, which advocates alternate energy sources. "After all, today we get about 60 percent of our oil from foreign countries. That's up from 20 years ago, where about 25 percent of our oil came from foreign countries."

Bush said gasoline prices are expected to remain high throughout the summer and "that's going to be a continued strain on the American people."

Bush said the Federal Trade Commission, the Justice Department and the Energy Department were investigating whether the price of gasoline has been unfairly manipulated. The administration also contacted all 50 state attorneys general to offer technical assistance to urge them to investigate possible illegal price manipulation within their jurisdictions.

During the last few days, Bush asked his Energy and Justice departments to open inquiries into whether the price of gasoline has been illegally manipulated.

It's unclear what impact, if any, Bush's investigation would have on prices that are near or at $3 a gallon or more. Asked if Bush had any reason to suspect market manipulation, White House press secretary Scott McClellan responded, "Well, gas prices are high right now, and that's why you want to make sure there's not."

The administration sent letters Tuesday to state attorneys general urging them to vigorously enforce state law "against any anticompetitive, anticonsumer conduct in the petroleum industry."

"Consumers around the nation have expressed concerns about what they have perceived as anticompetitive or otherwise unfair conduct by the world's major oil companies," said Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and Federal Trade Commission Chairman Deborah Platt Majoras. Their letter said federal agencies had substantially increased efforts to monitor, detect and prevent any violations of the law.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., urged Bush in a letter Monday to order a federal investigation into any gasoline price gouging or market speculation.

"There is no silver bullet," Frist said Tuesday on ABC's "Good Morning America," but "we need to make sure that any efforts at price-gouging be addressed and addressed aggressively." Meanwhile, Frist said, consumers should take steps to conserve gasoline – drive at slower speeds, tune up car engines for maximum efficiency and carpool.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada dispatched his own letter, calling for a multi-pronged approach to restrain gas prices.

sweetwater07
04-25-2006, 03:32 PM
i hope it drops soon....this $2.80 a gallon for diesel is killing me.....your about to see sweetwater07 riding his bike to school and work

lepfan
04-25-2006, 03:37 PM
His pockets must have gotten full.

Snyder_TigerFan
04-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
His pockets must have gotten full.
:clap: :D

wedo
04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
i bet gas prices fall in october!! One month before the election!!!

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by wedo
i bet gas prices fall in october!! One month before the election!!!

because the government has so much control over them right??? :thumbsup: for the cool guy :rolleyes:

pirate44
04-25-2006, 04:07 PM
GO SPURS GO!!

Phil C
04-25-2006, 04:08 PM
YAY!!

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
GO SPURS GO!!

GO STARS GO!! ...Oh wait...nevermind :weeping: :weeping:

Phantom Stang
04-25-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/04-06/0425bush.jpg

"You've just gotta believe me!"

Phantom Stang
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
b

Republicans are worried that voters paying more than $3 per gallon would punish the party in power. Democrats want to make that happen.

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

wedo
04-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
because the government has so much control over them right??? Moron...:rolleyes:

hey man stop the name calling!!!! I have never said anything about you!!!! A**hole

So your telling me that the Govt has nothing to do with Gas and Oil has far has prices go??

Phil C
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
hey man stop the name calling!!!! I have never said anything about you!!!! A**hole

So your telling me that the Govt has nothing to do with Gas and Oil has far has prices go??

Careful there! You both need to edit your posts because you could be in danger of being ROMd.
Also I would hate for that to happen because you are both good posters even if we disagree at times.

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:43 PM

Easy now...I'm saying that your statement was moronic because you are implying that the gov't has control over the gas prices...when in reality they do not. The gas prices are controlled by 1) amount of oil supplied by OPEC, 2) the amount of production from US oil companies, and 3) the prices that oil and gas are sold for in the world markets. The US Govt (while it may be able "influence" these organizations) does not have any direct control over the prices and thus cannot decide to change the prices at any given time.

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Careful there! You both need to edit your posts because you could be in danger of being ROMd.
Also I would hate for that to happen because you are both good posters even if we disagree at times.

Phil...you know I love you!!!
http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/lori.gif http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/ilu.gif

I mean seriously...you're the Godfather...need anything else be said?

http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/new_thewave.gif

wedo
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I know!! i shouldn't have said that!! Not everybody knows everything about everything like adidas410s!!!!

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM
I know!! i shouldn't have said that!! Not everybody knows everything about everything like adidas410s!!!!

Seriously...why are you whining like this???

wedo
04-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Easy now...I'm saying that your statement was moronic because you are implying that the gov't has control over the gas prices...when in reality they do not. The gas prices are controlled by 1) amount of oil supplied by OPEC, 2) the amount of production from US oil companies, and 3) the prices that oil and gas are sold for in the world markets. The US Govt (while it may be able "influence" these organizations) does not have any direct control over the prices and thus cannot decide to change the prices at any given time.

Ok so what the difference between a store charging $30 for a gallon of milk and what gas is now??? I don't know that much about this but i think that the govt could step in and try to do somthing instead of just watching!!! But what do i know???

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Ok so what the difference between a store charging $30 for a gallon of milk and what gas is now??? I don't know that much about this but i think that the govt could step in and try to do somthing instead of just watching!!! But what do i know???

The difference??? For starters we are not 100% dependent upon milk on a daily basis...but we are on oil. Thus you would never see milk take that type of sudden increase in price because we can switch to substitute products. Heck you can buy pills that give you just as much calcium and other forms of nutrition that you gain from milk. Oil on the other hand...we don't have another substitute that everybody can easily make a switch to using instead of being dependent on oil and gas products for our daily transportation.

wedo
04-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Seriously...why are you whining like this???

Im not whining!!! it just seems like every time somebody has an opinion about someththing you think you know everything!!!

I could be wrong cuz the written word is hard to understand the tone in which you are talking!!! This argument is retarded!!! This is a football board!!!

pirate44
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
without milk how will i make my biscuits and gravy??!!
proposterous!!
:foul: :flamingma

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:54 PM
This is a football board!!!

And how much 3A football is being played right now? You are still new so you haven't been around during football season. Go to the top of page one and click on "views" and you will see that the threads that have been viewed the most in the history of this place are in fact football threads (for the most part). In the offseason however...other than having the "who is going to be the best next year" discussion...there isn't much to talk about. We did the G.J. Kinne thing but that too has run it's course and often there isn't any relevant HS football topic to disucss

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
without milk how will i make my biscuits and gravy??!!
proposterous!!
:foul: :flamingma

LOL...good one! :clap:

Txbroadcaster
04-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Netherlands $6.77
Norway $6.56
Denmark $6.29
Belgium $6.02
UK $6.02

These are the gas prices in Europe in August...Makes 2.80 not so bad IMO

Snyder_TigerFan
04-25-2006, 04:59 PM

I had to LOL on that one!:D

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Netherlands $6.77
Norway $6.56
Denmark $6.29
Belgium $6.02
UK $6.02

Yeah when I was in Vegas during February...we had some people from Germany with us and the tour guide asked them what their price of gas was. It worked out to about $7/gallon to which he said "ok then...stop your "whining" about $3 gas and get out there and make more $$ if you don't like it!"

Thanks for looking up those numbers.

wedo
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
And how much 3A football is being played right now? You are still new so you haven't been around during football season. Go to the top of page one and click on "views" and you will see that the threads that have been viewed the most in the history of this place are in fact football threads (for the most part). In the offseason however...other than having the "who is going to be the best next year" discussion...there isn't much to talk about. We did the G.J. Kinne thing but that too has run it's course and often there isn't any relevant HS football topic to disucss

I didn't just say high school i said football!!!! man you know it all!!

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I had to LOL on that one!:D

If you ask a question I'll give you my answer. If you make a dumb comment...get ready to get flamed. That's what happens on message boards. Especially for me since I "grew up" over on the original Pig. That place is hardcore. You post 1 opinion and you get 20 replies telling you why you are wrong. You learn to make sure you can back up your claims over there! ;)

Time for my $6 drive home...thank God I don't still have my truck or it would be a $10-12 drive home! :eek:

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 05:04 PM
I didn't just say high school i said football!!!! man you know it all!!

You said it's a football board...it's actually a high school football board so I telling you WHY you don't see all this football talk. You want to talk football...then come up with some new topics that aren't already being talked about. There are plenty of football threads up today. I myself started a few on the NFL Draft. Stop your whining and go join the conversation.

(Insert cheesy overused line here)...dont be part of the problem but instead be part of the solution! :thumbsup:

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
PHIL "WEDO" NEEDS SOME COMPASSION AND COMPOSURE OVER HERE!!!

Phantom Stang
04-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Netherlands $6.77
Norway $6.56
Denmark $6.29
Belgium $6.02
UK $6.02

And how much is it in Venezuela?

Phil C
04-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

Or Saudi Arabia? :)

AP Panther Fan
04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

$0.12/gallon in March

Here's a link to Global Prices, if I can make it work.

sorry, not a current list after all!:(

smustangs
04-25-2006, 05:24 PM

actually the goverment dosent have ne thing to do with the prices they are set by traders in new york who bid on the prices against other countries

olddawggreen
04-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't know that much about this but i think that the govt could step in and try to do somthing instead of just watching!!! But what do i know??? [/B]

Like they stepped in during the bust when a lot of us that make our living in the petroleum industry were losing our jobs and going broke , because prices had fallen so low?:thinking: :thinking:

Aesculus gilmus
04-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
actually the goverment dosent have ne thing to do with the prices they are set by traders in new york who bid on the prices against other countries

That's mostly correct, but traders don't work for countries. They work for themselves or the firms who have hired them. There is no "Team USA" in there bidding for crude for us.

That's why they keep pounding it into our heads that it is a "global economy." Countries don't matter much to transnational corporations. They play them off against each other to maximize profits. I'd say the game's just about over and the corporations have won and are just running out the clock at this point.