PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mavs' Johnson to get top coach honor

Maroon87
04-25-2006, 11:40 AM
FOXSports.com

Avery Johnson will be named the NBA's Coach of the Year on Tuesday, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Several unnamed sources apparently told the newspaper that Johnson will receive the award following his first full season as the Mavericks' head coach.
Johnson guided to the Mavs to a 60-22 record, tying the 2002-03 team for the best mark in franchise history. Dallas also had the third-best record in the NBA.

As the fourth seed in the Western Conference, the Mavericks began the playoffs with Sunday's 103-93 win over Memphis.

Game 2 is scheduled for Wednesday night in Dallas.

Johnson is the first coach in team history to win the award. Former coach Don Nelson won it three times overall while guiding Milwaukee and Golden State.

Johnson reached 50 wins faster than any coach in NBA history. His 66-16 record after 82 games is the best ever, according to the Star Telegram.

Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban promoted Johnson to head coach with 18 games left in the 2004-05 regular season following Nelson's resignation.

Nicknamed the "Little General" for his fiery leadership style, Johnson spent 16 seasons as a player, and hit the series-winning jump shot for the San Antonio Spurs in Game 6 of the 1999 NBA Finals.

Maroon87
04-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Ooops..someone already posted this.:o

Cameron Crazy
04-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Hasnt there already been a thread about this?

NateDawg39
04-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Hasnt there already been a thread about this? I posted it first!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I posted it first!!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah well I heard it yesterday at about 5:10PM while driving home when one of the AP guys called into 103.3 in Dallas to "give them the heads up"...I just had better things to do with my time (like watch the Stars lose) than to tell you guys about it! ;)