PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE HIGH SCHOOL COACH

bc 76
08-08-2002, 08:17 AM
MY FAVORITE COACH WAS RON MILLS WHEN HE WAS AT BAY CITY.HE TURNED THE BAY CITY PROGRAM AROUND FROM A LOSING PROGRAM TO ONE OF THE ELITE 4A PROGRAMS IN THE STATE.HE WAS ALSO A VERY NICE PERSON,I STILL SEE HIM AT THE BAY CITY PLAYOFFGAMES.

Pudlugger
08-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Tony Valastro of La Grange deserves alot of credit for what he has accomplished in the Leopard program in the past 7 seasons. He has developed talent year in and year out. He also has put together an incrediable team of assistant coaches. With great leadership ability and a keen understanding of how to win football games, Coach V has been an outstanding asset to this community.

toby070
08-08-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by bc 76:
MY FAVORITE COACH WAS RON MILLS WHEN HE WAS AT BAY CITY.HE TURNED THE BAY CITY PROGRAM AROUND FROM A LOSING PROGRAM TO ONE OF THE ELITE 4A PROGRAMS IN THE STATE.HE WAS ALSO A VERY NICE PERSON,I STILL SEE HIM AT THE BAY CITY PLAYOFFGAMES.

Coach Mills IS nice. I used to run the chains for San Marcos games, and talked to him before every home game while he was here. Some coaches are tightly wound before games, but he never was. Hope he's doing well.

eye of the tiger
08-08-2002, 09:48 AM
Steve Lineweaver former Commerce coach now with 5A Euless Trinity. A good guy with a nice family. One of the best football coaches in the business, especially on offense.

M.PIRATEFAN
08-08-2002, 07:44 PM
I have to say my favorite coach is Chris Sosa from Mathis. He has been there since 95 i believe.He has done a excellent job turning this program around. In '99 took us to Division I State Game.First time in school history and have been making the playoffs every year.And that offense of his the Wing-T offense great to watch.You just don't know who is going to get the ball.Not only that once he starts bringing out the tricky plays you better hold on.Way to go Coach Sosa and all of your assistant coaches.Wish yall luck this year and if we made it to state once we can do it again.Mathis Pirates#1!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sinton66
08-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Chris Sosa is an excellent coach. His mentors are among my favorites also, Bruce Bush and Gary Davenport, and I gotta throw in TJ Mills. ALL run the wing-T quite well.

Old Green
08-09-2002, 05:34 AM
Buster Gilbreath and Skeet Powers. They authored Cuero's 44 game win streak and back to back state championships in 3A which is now 4A, something that no other Region IV 4A team has been able to do.

toby070
08-09-2002, 07:30 AM
Bruce Bush is a freakin miracle worker...first guy in a few decades that could turn San Marcos into a winning program!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Gary Davenport and Bruce Bush were both mentors of my old high school coach, Tony Villarreal (now at Brownsville Hanna)

A couple more I could throw into the mix are former Cuero coach Mickey Finley, and former Sealy coach T.J. Mills

sinton66
08-09-2002, 06:31 PM
TfiNT, I assume that means he played at Alice along with Sosa? Sosa was the QB at Alice under them.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
TfiNT, I assume that means he played at Alice along with Sosa? Sosa was the QB at Alice under them.

No, Tony Villarreal played at Brownsville Hanna. He was an assistant under both Davenport and Bush. I'm not sure if he knows Sosa.

sinton66
08-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Ok, my bad, I thought you meant when Bush and Davenport were together. Do you know where they were when he coached with them?

Rabbit_93
08-10-2002, 07:43 PM
It would have to be Mel Maxfield. Turned the Forney program into a 3A household name I guess. He is a good christian man who loves each kid that plays for him. I hated to see him leave and go to Burleson.

eye of the tiger
08-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Maxfield is definately a good coach. Rabbit do you think that article in the paper a while back had anything to do with his leaving or was it just a chance to move to a larger school?

Rabbit_93
08-10-2002, 11:18 PM
I think it had a little to do with it but I've heard several times that he's thought about leaving prior to this. I think maybe he was just under-appreciated in Forney. Then again anytime you get a shot at a larger school, maybe he just figured it was time to move on.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
Ok, my bad, I thought you meant when Bush and Davenport were together. Do you know where they were when he coached with them?

I think it was at Alice, but not 100% sure.

Luke
08-19-2002, 05:58 PM
I would have to say Coach Sosa at Mathis has to be my favorite. He has really turned the football program around, which in turn has changed the attitude of the whole community. He is the type of coach, along with his staff that I would have loved to been a part of. Mathis had many AD and coaching changes before Sosa came along. Keep up the Great Work!!!!

M.PIRATEFAN
08-19-2002, 07:50 PM
I agree Luke.He has done an excellent job in Mathis.Wish he had been there sooner when i was in school.We had talent as well but the coaches from back then just didn't cut it.Anyways, I see Coach Sosa taking back those Mighty MathisPirates back into the playoffs and hopefully to the State game.