PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bush says "He Had No Idea"

Adidas410s
04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
So wait...Reggie had no clue that his family had moved into an expensive home in San Diego? Give me a freakin' break! That is the biggest load of "crap" I have heard in a while. Maybe we don't want this guy playing in Texas after all...:mad: :mad: :mad:

LOS ANGELES -- An attorney representing Reggie Bush says that Bush had no knowledge of an agreement between his parents and San Diego businessman Michael Michaels, the man who owned a $750,000 home the Bush family lived in for the past year.

"At this point, I'm not going to get into the particulars of the transactions between the family and Mr. Michaels," David Cornwell told ESPN's Joe Schad. "It is inapppropriate to presume that the Griffins did anything wrong."

The family -- Bush's mother Denise Griffin, stepfather LaMar Griffin and brother Jovan Griffin -- moved out of the house after questions over its ownership arose. Reporters from several news organizations visited the house on Thursday.

"We have nothing to hide," Bush said on ESPN's NFL Draft special Monday. "When all is said and done ... everyone will see we have done absolutely nothing wrong."

Bush added that his "parents leased a house like any other parent" and the Texans "should not be concerned at all. Nothing to be worried about."

The Pac-10 said Sunday it will investigate the reported connection between Bush's family and Michaels, who sought to market the Southern California star tailback.

At issue is the San Diego-area home's connection with Michaels, who reportedly attempted to steer Bush toward signing with San Diego agent David Caravantes, and sought to handle Bush's marketing with a new firm he had founded.

Bush, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, chose to turn pro after his junior season with USC. He is expected to be the No. 1 pick in Saturday's NFL draft.

"Rather than jumping to conclusions, we need to determine the facts before commenting on this report,'' USC athletic director Mike Garrett said in a statement on Sunday. "We have asked the Pac-10 to look into this.''

Pac-10 spokesman Jim Muldoon confirmed to The Associated Press that an investigation will be held at the school's request, but had no further details.

Cornwell said Bush's parents will "cooperate fully" with any inquiry from the Pac-10 or NCAA.

Members of Bush's camp are also expected to argue that the NCAA rules legislating "extra benefits" are not applicable in this case, because Michaels was not involved in the marketing of Bush.

Since Bush has left school, any punishment would likely involve Bush vacating school records, Schad reported. A source told Schad that because it was not an "institutional violation" and USC received no competitive advantage, it is not likely that the school would have to vacate victories. This could technically occur, however, if it is ruled Bush should not have been eligible.

It is unlikely that the school would lose scholarships or a bowl appearance, Schad was told by a source.

"They were trying to get me in front of during the interview process, which I was never a part of," Caravantes said in an interview published in the San Diego Union-Tribune. "They didn't try to recruit him for me. They thought it would be a good idea to have everything in San Diego. I think their concept was that they were going to deal with marketing, and they [needed] an agent ...

"If things worked out, we were going to try to put something together [to become business partners]. But everything was in waiting to see if they landed [Bush] to do the marketing. Nothing came of it."

State records showed construction was completed on the home in early 2005 and Michaels purchased it for $757,500 in late March, Yahoo reported.

Neighbors told Yahoo that the Griffins moved into the home shortly after that.

NCAA rules prohibit student-athletes and their families from receiving extra benefits from agents or their representatives. It can be a violation even if Bush had no knowledge of the transaction.

The Union-Tribune said it is unclear what rent Bush's mother and stepfather paid during their time in the house. If it is less than market value, the NCAA could consider that a violation, the newspaper said.

Bush eventually signed with a different agent and marketing firm.

"This time of year, falsely or unfalsely, this is the stuff that comes up," Mike Ornstein, one of Bush's current representatives, told the Union-Tribune. "It's a bunch of BS."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

In related news...

[b]Could Bush lose his Heisman?

The director of the Heisman Trophy Trust told ESPN's Joe Schad on Monday that he will reach out to board members to determine the potential ramifications of an investigation involving 2005 winner Reggie Bush.
"We're doing some soul searching ourselves right now," Rob Whalen said. "To the best of my knowledge no one has ever had a Heisman Trophy revoked."

Whalen said he's already begun to receive e-mails from Texas fans who believe runner up Vince Young should now receive the trophy.

"Clearly that's premature," Whalen said. "Let's see what happens and how this plays out."

The official Heisman ballot includes this wording: "In order that there will be no misunderstanding regarding the eligibility of a candidate, the recepient of the award MUST be a bonafide student of an accredited university. The recepient must be in compliance with the bylaws defining an NCAA student."

• Schad on Reggie Bush situation

Phil C
04-24-2006, 04:07 PM
This proves my point! A player has no control over whatever his parents and other business people do. SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

sahen
04-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This proves my point! A player has no control over whatever his parents and other business people do. SHOW SOME COMPASSION!
Phil, come on ur not that naive.....the best runningback in college football just so happened to have some parents that got lucky and someone gave them a 750,000 dollar house....you have to admit it looks pretty suspicious...now if ur just playing devil's advocate i apologize....

District303aPastPlayer
04-24-2006, 04:27 PM
they asked him how the rent was paid... he said that the facts will come out and gave no clear answer

pirate4state
04-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
The family -- Bush's mother Denise Griffin, stepfather LaMar Griffin and brother Jovan Griffin -- moved out of the house after questions over its ownership arose. Reporters from several news organizations visited the house on Thursday.

"We have nothing to hide," Bush said on ESPN's NFL Draft special Monday. "When all is said and done ... everyone will see we have done absolutely nothing wrong."

:thinking: If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why move out?? :confused:

JasperDog94
04-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
they asked him how the rent was paid... he said that the facts will come out and gave no clear answer Uhhhhh...rent? What rent? That depends on your definition of the word rent. Next question.:D

District303aPastPlayer
04-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:thinking: If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why move out?? :confused:

they moved out in LESS THAN 24 HOURS after yahoo sports approached them

pirate4state
04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
they moved out in LESS THAN 24 HOURS after yahoo sports approached them :doh: Eddie Murphy comes to mind, "it wasn't me" :o

lostaussie
04-24-2006, 06:04 PM
:thinking: If you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide, why move out?? :confused: exactly what i was thinking. rent on that $750k home was probably $100 a month:D. hell they shoulda stayed.

NHSRattler60
04-24-2006, 06:24 PM
I would have stayed. Hell I'da had a BBQ with all the reporters over.

And my fellow 3adl Fantoms. and the better looking Owchi's.

:D :D :D

NHSRattler60
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
joking btw. joking. Don't want anyone to get offended.

big daddy russ
04-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Not saying he did or didn't do it, but Bush is less than a week away from being one of the top two picks in the NFL draft. I know banks, agents, et. al. will give these guys loans until they sign their contract. That's why LeBron was driving a Hummer in high school. I watched the interview today and Bush said that they had been in the market for a house for a while, and from what I've heard in the past he comes from a middle class family. I don't know how much the rent was at their place, but I'm going to wait until all the facts come out before I nail him to a cross.

Phil C
04-25-2006, 08:18 AM

With all those pesky reporters hanging around in front and around the house harrassing you who wouldn't want to move out. SHOW SOME KINDNESS!! :mad:

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
exactly what i was thinking. rent on that $750k home was probably $100 a month:D. hell they shoulda stayed.

My favorite line from Reggie Bush yesterday was, "My family didn't do anything wrong. They went out and leased the house just like any other normal family would." Yeah right...how many people go out and say "hey...let's go buy a $750k house!!!" Take a guess at what the insurance alone would run on that place!

AggieJohn
04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
My favorite line from Reggie Bush yesterday was, "My family didn't do anything wrong. They went out and leased the house just like any other normal family would." Yeah right...how many people go out and say "hey...let's go buy a $750k house!!!" Take a guess at what the insurance alone would run on that place! maybe we can revive my reggie for heisman, that's reggie mcneal

Phil C
04-25-2006, 08:58 AM
My favorite line from Reggie Bush yesterday was, "My family didn't do anything wrong. They went out and leased the house just like any other normal family would." Yeah right...how many people go out and say "hey...let's go buy a $750k house!!!" Take a guess at what the insurance alone would run on that place!

Some people can manage their money better than others. SHOW SOME KINDNESS!!

:)

raider red 2000
04-25-2006, 09:09 AM
just a question.

how big a is a 750K house in San Diego?

also, just because his folks might be shady dosnt mean that Bush can't help out any team. It would be foolish for the Texans or any team to pass on him, because of a screwy deal that his folks got into.

Cameron Crazy
04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
I saw this same thing on ESPN last night!

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
just a question.

how big a is a 750K house in San Diego?

It depends upon the area, but 2,000-3,900 sq ft "for sale". I didn't check "rentals". ;)

Cameron Crazy
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
He wants to live in Texas so he doesnt have to pay taxes thats what he said on ESPN!

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 10:25 AM
also, just because his folks might be shady dosnt mean that Bush can't help out any team. It would be foolish for the Texans or any team to pass on him, because of a screwy deal that his folks got into.

The only way I would pass on him is if I asked him about the situation and he blatantly lied to me about it. That...or is Vince Young was still avaiable to draft!:eek: Just call me Phil! :thumbsup:

raider red 2000
04-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It depends upon the area, but 2,000-3,900 sq ft "for sale". I didn't check "rentals". ;)

maybe i will someday have a kid that is going to be drafted #1 so i can get hooked up with a house like that.

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 10:28 AM
maybe i will someday have a kid that is going to be drafted #1 so i can get hooked up with a house like that.

Just wait until he is drafted and let him pay for it...:thumbsup:

Cameron Crazy
04-25-2006, 10:29 AM
No lie how much do you think he wil be drated for...

raider red 2000
04-25-2006, 10:30 AM
if you have read enough of my posts.....you will know my kid is going to be a lil off....probably wont my be a snickers :)

LH Panther Mom
04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
He wants to live in Texas so he doesnt have to pay taxes thats what he said on ESPN!
Maybe he's talking about state income tax?

sahen
04-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe he's talking about state income tax?
i hope so...cause if he is talking about federal income tax then it'd be better to not draft him...

Adidas410s
04-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by sahen
i hope so...cause if he is talking about federal income tax then it'd be better to not draft him...

It usually takes a couple years before the IRS would catch you...he should be ok for at least his 1st contract! ;)