PDA

View Full Version : Bellville & District 20-3A Athletics

KL3
04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
XMan, I thought you may find this interesting. Here is how Bellville has fared this school year in District 20-3A:

Football - District Champions, 6 in a row
Boys CC - District Champions
Boys Track - District Champions, 10 or 11 in a row
Boys Tennis - District Champions, perfect record in district tournament
Softball - District Champions, I believe 4 in a row, currently ranked 4th in State
Volleyball - State Champions, District Champions
Girls CC - 5th in State, District Champions, swept top 5 places in district meet
Girls Tennis - District Champions, girls doubles team of Nevins/Nevins are Region 3 champs, heading to state
Team Tennis - District Champions

Baseball - 2nd
Girls Golf - Qualified for state placing 2nd in regional over Sealy, 2nd in district to Sealy, placed 6th in state last year
Boys Golf - 2nd

Boys Basketball - T-3rd
Girls Track - 3rd, snapped streak of 5 in a row
Girls Basketball - T-4th

Bellville has won 9 of the 15 district championships. Believe it or not, 2 years ago, they won 12 out of 15.

KL3
04-24-2006, 08:25 AM
ttt for XMan.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by KL3
XMan, I thought you may find this interesting. Here is how Bellville has fared this school year in District 20-3A:

Boys CC - District Champions
Boys Track - District Champions, 10 or 11 in a row
Boys Tennis - District Champions, perfect record in district tournament
Softball - District Champions, I believe 4 in a row, currently ranked 4th in State
Volleyball - State Champions, District Champions
Girls CC - 5th in State, District Champions, swept top 5 places in district meet
Girls Tennis - District Champions

Baseball - 2nd
Girls Golf - 2nd, placed 6th in State last year, have shot at returning to State this year

Boys Basketball - T-3rd
Girls Track - 3rd, snapped streak of 5 in a row
Girls Basketball - T-4th

Boys Golf - The only one I don't know. Either Columbus or Bellville won this.

Bellville has won 8, possibly 9 of the 14 district championships. Believe it or not, 2 years ago, they won 11 out of 14.

Good post KL3.

BTEXDAD
04-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Don't forget team tennis in the fall. It is counted towards the lone star cup and was also won by Bellville.

UPanIN
04-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Don't forget marbles.:rolleyes:

KL3
04-24-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by UPanIN

Spoken by a fan whose school is competitive in about 3 sports.

UPanIN
04-24-2006, 10:52 AM
OUCH!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Spoken by a fan whose school is competitive in about 3 sports.

OUCH is right

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-24-2006, 10:58 AM

This guy might be kin to EX!

UPanIN
04-24-2006, 11:20 AM
It's so easy to get under the skin of Bellville fan.

Marbles are so fun.

BTEXDAD
04-24-2006, 12:48 PM
It's so easy to get under the skin of Bellville fan.

Marbles are so fun.

Do you guys do this on purpose? LOL

Bull19
04-24-2006, 01:01 PM
i think they do it on purpose as well ,,,,,,,, proly just jealous of our dominance

punt
04-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Looks like Bellville does a good job of winning district titles. I keep wondering why they don't make it to state in more than volleyball. Looks like if you have a program that consistently produces district winners the carry over effect from a continuous solid program would eventually carry you to state. I am just looking at the past 4 or 5 years, not years and years ago. Just wondering, not complaining. They won the boysdistrict track meet due to the number of entries mostly. Wonder how many will advance past regionals.

NHSRattler60
04-24-2006, 02:34 PM
the 04 season they tied for first place. Let the UIL cut it up however they want to, but it was a 3 way tie and will forever be in alot of people's eyes.

BTEXDAD
04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
I'm calling a truce with other 20-3A posters.
Good luck to all the athletes still in competitions. Hopefully district 20-3A brings home some serious trophies yet this school year.

KL3
04-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by punt
Looks like Bellville does a good job of winning district titles. I keep wondering why they don't make it to state in more than volleyball. Looks like if you have a program that consistently produces district winners the carry over effect from a continuous solid program would eventually carry you to state. I am just looking at the past 4 or 5 years, not years and years ago. Just wondering, not complaining.

punt, I don't know if you read my original post or if you follow Bellville athletics closely, but Bellville has had quite a few sports "make it to state" as you said above:

Volleyball - State champs
Girls CC - 5th in state meet this year
Girls tennis - make it to state every year
Softball - have a pretty good shot to make it this year, took eventual state champion La Grange to 3 games in last years playoffs with 1 Sr.
Girls golf - finished 6th in state tournament last year, have shot at making it back this year.
Boys track - Nick Mosley placed 3rd in state meet in High Jump last year as a Jr.
Football - state-semifinalist 3 years ago.

Obviously, football is the one sport where we have yet to clear the last hurdle, but they will be loaded next season, and really should be for the next 5 years. 7th grade A lost 1 game last year, 8th grade A went undefeated, freshman went undefeated, and there were 9/10 sophs that got a lot of playing time on a 9-2 varsity.

Originally posted by punt
They won the boysdistrict track meet due to the number of entries mostly.

And all along I thought it was a good thing to have a lot of talented depth on a track team. What do you have to say about the previous 10 consecutive years they have won it?

I find it funny that a fan from another school in the district/area can wonder why Bellville has so many district champions but not a lot of state champions? I would worry about my school trying to stop Bellville from continuously dominating the district in athletics like no other school has done in the district's history.

punt
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
It is a good thing to have talented depth. After the regional meet this weekend we will see if anyone other than Moseley advances. Talented depth would be for some others to advance.

I think that most schools of 3A and lower classifications don't field complete teams of golf and tennis. It's great that Bellville has the interest in these sports to compete. The team sports and track are the areas of greatest competition in my opinion.

My question is, what would it take for a program that has the participation and district winners that BHS has to go deeper in the playoffs consistently? Don't get your panties in a wad, KL3, because it's great that BHS can win so many district championships.

scotty
04-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Bellville is having a great run and fans need to be proud of it and enjoy. It comes in cycles...Sealy, Columbus, La Grange, Schulenburg and A&M Consolidated are examples of schools that had great success and have been on the downtrend.
What strikes me funny about the whole situation is that there isn't a week when someone doesn't tell me that the Bellville AD needs to be fired. The architect behind the volleyball and tennis programs has been on the hot seat in Bellville many times during her long tenure and just last year when the boys didn't make the playoffs in basketball many wanted the coach's scalp as well.
I believe there is more to it than just a great run of athletes and not ever have I seen a post on here that credits a Bellville coach, why?

hookandladder
04-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by scotty
Bellville is having a great run and fans need to be proud of it and enjoy. It comes in cycles...Sealy, Columbus, La Grange, Schulenburg and A&M Consolidated are examples of schools that had great success and have been on the downtrend.
What strikes me funny about the whole situation is that there isn't a week when someone doesn't tell me that the Bellville AD needs to be fired. The architect behind the volleyball and tennis programs has been on the hot seat in Bellville many times during her long tenure and just last year when the boys didn't make the playoffs in basketball many wanted the coach's scalp as well.
I believe there is more to it than just a great run of athletes and not ever have I seen a post on here that credits a Bellville coach, why?

Good Post, I can tell you that really good coaches can make average athletes play about their abilities. You have to tip your hat to the coaches(Volleyball, Baseabll and AD) not only are they some of the best coaches in the State, they have been their many years. When you stay in one place that long you have your system in place, it's just a matter of tweaking here and there. So Bellville Parents and Fans start giving credit where credit is due. I agree Bellville has some great kids, good luck in all playoffs.

KL3
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
I had to add to the list that the Nevins sisters won Region 3 doubles, are heading back to state.

XMan, still no reply?

BTEXDAD
04-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Good Post, I can tell you that really good coaches can make average athletes play about their abilities. You have to tip your hat to the coaches(Volleyball, Baseabll and AD) not only are they some of the best coaches in the State, they have been their many years. When you stay in one place that long you have your system in place, it's just a matter of tweaking here and there. So Bellville Parents and Fans start giving credit where credit is due. I agree Bellville has some great kids, good luck in all playoffs.

Coaches normally get too much credit when team wins and too much blame when they lose.
The longevity of volleyball (who is also tennis) coach, baseball coach and AD/football coach helps a lot though for those specific programs. Having the same system for kids from jr high through high school works well.
I know there's been some comments about the weak basketball programs at Bellville, but success of other sports hurts basketball. Mosley has been only one I can think of at bellville who has concentrated on basketball. Others have also played other sports.
When v-ball and football go deep into playoffs, athletes get late start in basketball. Then basketball season carries over into the spring sports which have also been very successful. So, many who participate in one or more spring sports simply drop out of basketball and do the offseason program during winter months and get the earlier start with spring sports.
I admire the 3A schools that have been able to be successful in fall, winter and spring sports. So far bellville hasn't been able to do it consistently.

XMan
04-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Great job on the girls basketball tying for 4th, who cares? Boys basketball didnt make playoffs so is tying for 3rd really that good? Bellville is much like the woodlands and Highland park, count all the minor sport titles. All this is fine and good but at this point i dont care. Football, Basketball, Baseball, those are the 3 "major" boys sports. Bellville was 1, 4, and 2 in those. Great job, congrats Bellville, all the way. Go Bellville, go bellville, and take state!

hookandladder
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Great job on the girls basketball tying for 4th, who cares? Boys basketball didnt make playoffs so is tying for 3rd really that good? Bellville is much like the woodlands and Highland park, count all the minor sport titles. All this is fine and good but at this point i dont care. Football, Basketball, Baseball, those are the 3 "major" boys sports. Bellville was 1, 4, and 2 in those. Great job, congrats Bellville, all the way. Go Bellville, go bellville, and take state!

I think the girls softball team have a shot at State Tournament,boy's baseball maybe a couple of rounds. Just my opinion. Good Luck too all.

Bull19
04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
the reason the coaches never get any credit is because the way they treat their players. all but a few are as fake as they come. its all politics. many of the best athletes is the school aren't playing football or what have you because of the coaches. ask any football, basktetball,tennis, anyone what they think....i can bout promis you all their answers will sound bout the same

clayton7
04-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I have respect for all of the coaches.

Bull19
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
clayton7,,,,,does your first name start with a j and last name with a p?,,,,jst wondering if not,thats good becasue you must have been raised by good parents,,,,,thats good to hear their are still nice young kids with respect out there

gobblerfan02
04-27-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm just wondering who is in Bellville's district? Either the district is pretty weak, or the Brahmas are putting out athletes year in and year out!

BTEXDAD
04-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
I'm just wondering who is in Bellville's district? Either the district is pretty weak, or the Brahmas are putting out athletes year in and year out!

Bellville's got a lot of participation in athletics.
District is stronger than average in my opinion. Hempstead and Rice consol have good athletes just not the numbers Bellville has.
Both were playoff teams in football and are dropping down to 2A. Could be real powerhouses there.
Navasota is strong in some sports but not others.
Sealy still has good athletes, but not as many as in the years they were dominating 3A football.
Columbus has been competitive in most sports, but have only won Baseball and boys golf for number of years.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
the reason the coaches never get any credit is because the way they treat their players. all but a few are as fake as they come. its all politics. many of the best athletes is the school aren't playing football

Bull you mean to tell me there are better football players in school, and they are not on the football team?:confused:

clayton7
04-27-2006, 10:59 PM
I thinks he is just saying that because he didn't play.

Pudlugger
04-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by KL3

No, 5 in a row. La Grange beat Bellville for district 25 in 2000. I'm sure the Bulls would like to forget that, but it happened.

BTEXDAD
04-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
No, 5 in a row. La Grange beat Bellville for district 25 in 2000. I'm sure the Bulls would like to forget that, but it happened.

You are correct, Pud. I knew it was only five in a row and was expecting someone to jump on KL3 sooner.
La Grange was a real power in football for a lot of years. How have the last few years been?
I'm not being wise guy. I honestly don't know.

Bull19
04-28-2006, 10:43 PM
YES FBB THERE ARE OTHER ATHLETES WHO SHOULD BE PLAYING BUT ARENT.

clayton7
04-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Like who?

KL3
04-29-2006, 09:12 AM
You can add another state tournament apperance on the list, girls golf for the 2nd year in a row.

Pudlugger
04-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
You are correct, Pud. I knew it was only five in a row and was expecting someone to jump on KL3 sooner.
La Grange was a real power in football for a lot of years. How have the last few years been?
I'm not being wise guy. I honestly don't know.

2001 LG lost to Commerce 14-11 in the 3A Div II final
2002 went 11-2 losing to Marlin in round 3 Div II
2003 went 9-4 again losing to Marlin in round 3
2004 2-8 Coach Valastro then leaves for Winnie
2005 4-6 under new offense with new head coach Wayne Walker from Ennis

2006 may be the watershed year for the Leps under Walker as the younguns have grown up to play some tough varsity ball and are comfortable with the new passing game and spread offense. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the playoffs along with Bellville and Giddings from the realigned district.