PDA

View Full Version : I just remembered something...

Maroon87
04-23-2006, 10:02 PM
...I always hated Keith Hernandez.

SAN DIEGO -- Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez's comments that women "don't belong in the dugout" drew criticism Sunday from Padres manager Bruce Bochy, who supported the female member of his training staff and said he was surprised it even came up.

Hernandez made the remarks during the second inning of New York's 8-1 victory in San Diego on Saturday night. Mike Piazza homered for the Padres and exchanged a high-five in the dugout with Kelly Calabrese, a full-time massage therapist for San Diego.

"Who is the girl in the dugout, with the long hair?" Hernandez said during the broadcast. "What's going on here? You have got to be kidding me. Only player personnel in the dugout."

Hernandez found out later in the broadcast that Calabrese has been with the Padres' training staff since 2004 but stood by his comment that she didn't belong with the team during a game.

"I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout," Hernandez said.

Hernandez, a former Mets first baseman, then laughed and said: "You know I am only teasing. I love you gals out there -- always have."

During Sunday's broadcast of the Mets-Padres series finale, Hernandez apologized for the comments. Before the game, a 7-4 San Diego victory, Bochy said he did not hear firsthand what Hernandez said but was told about it and was not amused.

"Kelly is a part of this ballclub," Bochy said. "She's a part of the training staff. I don't know the actual comments, I just heard about it, but she's been here for a while and played a major role with this club in getting guys ready to play a ballgame.

"I didn't think gender was even an issue anymore," Bochy said.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

pirate44
04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
gotta love a guy who uses the term "gal" LOL.

oh yeah, and he was great in Seinfeld!! :clap: