PDA

View Full Version : Question on College Football Divisions???

Fish's mom
04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Okay, can someone please help me? My understanding is a DIV 1 school, you may get a full sports schloraship but what does it mean if it says Div 1 (AA) Ivy League?(Columbia, NYNY) Are full schlorships available through this. Are they considered DIV 1?
I'm confused because of the web site saying DIV 1 AA? Thanks to anyone that can explain this to me?:)

RMAC
04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
A player can receive a full scholarship in Div 1, 1-AA (football only) and Division 2. As I just stated, Division 1-AA is for football only. It is comprised of your conferences that are referred to as "mid majors" in basketball. They (like every other division except D1 football) use a tournament to determine their national champion.

big daddy russ
04-21-2006, 06:58 PM
As far as scholarships go, I-A and I-AA schools are almost identical in rules. The only sport in which they're separated is football.

EXAMPLE: Texas State is a I-AA school... they don't compete in the same division as A&M or UT in football, but do in baseball, basketball, track, etc... they're actually ranked in the top 25 in baseball right now.

I think there are some minor differences in the rules, but they mostly have to do with how many scholarships each school can hand out.

As far as the Ivy League, they ARE technically considered I-AA schools, they just don't compete in the postseason OR give out athletic scholarships. The Ivy League consists of eight schools from the Northeast: Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and Cornell. But they do have ways around the no scholarships rule. They can give out what are known as "extracurricular grants," which is usually just extra federal money set aside for students with scholastic committments that stretch outside of the schoolroom.

If you have any more questions, you know I'm always happy to help. Can't guarantee that I'll have the answer, but I'll do my best. Good luck to you and your son.

Fish's mom
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks for ya'll help.:thinking: