View Full Version : James signs with UH

44INAROW
04-19-2006, 08:35 AM
The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Cuero's James signs track offer with UH
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer
Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cuero's Brandon James was concerned about the hamstring in his right leg he tweaked while long jumping in the fall so he wasn't running at full speed when he competed in the 200-meter dash at the District 26-3A meet.
"I was really just cruising," James said. "I did not want to push it too hard."

James still won the event in a time of 21.93 seconds, which was .34 seconds slower than this year's area-best time he ran at the Sweeny meet last month, .68 seconds slower than his winning time at last year's state meet, and .89 seconds slower than his best time in the event.

James, who also ran the anchor legs on Cuero's winning 400 and 800 relay teams at the district meet, will have an opportunity to run faster when he competes at the Region IV-3A meet in Kingsville.

James is hoping to end his high school career at the state meet, but he's also looking forward to running on the college level after signing a letter-of-intent to accept a track and field scholarship at the University of Houston.

"I talked to them and they came for a house visit," said James, who attended high school in Houston his freshman and sophomore years. "But I'd been thinking about going there already. My friend from (Westside) high school Tremaine Smith goes there and has run a 20.6 in the 200. That's where I want to be."

James is looking forward to working with Houston coach Leroy Burrell, a former world-record holder in the 100.

"My heart is in the 100," said James, who ran a hand-timed 10.19 seconds in the 100 last year and had a wind-aided 10.43 at last year's Texas Relays. "I've really looked up to Leroy Burrell. He's been there and done that. There's nothing like being right there with the person I want to go work with."

James had a hand in all of the 50 points the Gobblers scored at the state meet to win last year's Class 3A team title and Cuero coach Victor Mathis has been pleased with how hard James has worked this season.

"That's probably the most impressive thing that I've seen about him," Mathis said. "He works hard and he never loafs. He's also a polite kid. He works by action. He's made the other kids run faster. He forces them to say, 'How can I keep up with this guy.' He leads by example."

Mathis believes James, who was recruited by a number of schools, made a wise choice in Houston.

"He has some friends there he ran track with and his dad lives there," Mathis said. "J.T Rudd (from Cuero) will be playing football there and they'll both be in the athletic dorm. He'll be around people he knows and that will be good for him."

James is likely to continue to run the 100 and 200 at Houston, but he has no qualms about trying other events.

"I love any event in track," James said.

raider red 2000
04-19-2006, 08:44 AM
good job.

keep up the good work.

gobblerfan02
04-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Great things happen to great people!

injuredinmelee
04-19-2006, 05:09 PM
i thought he was goign to ATM to play football or was that a different cuero kid?

shadow13
04-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Congrats to Brandon, I'm sure he will do great at UH. and good luck the rest of the year and in College.

TAMUGRAD
04-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i thought he was goign to ATM to play football or was that a different cuero kid?

yes, that would be a different kid.
L. Cooper going to Texas A&M to play football
B. James going to U of Houston to run track

best of luck to two polite, deserving young men

Gobbla2001
04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

RB Latreal Cooper is going to A&M.. which will make it 3 Cuero players in the big twelve with both Cooper and C Cody Wallace at A&M and receiver Andrew Heard at Baylor...

Cameron Crazy
04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Kyle Noack was gonna go play. not tottaly sure on his thoughts...by the way UH has a good QB and HB now

Gobbla2001
04-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Kyle Noack was gonna go play. not tottaly sure on his thoughts...by the way UH has a good QB and HB now

Yah, hope Kyle isn't leaving his Junior year haha...

Our very own chubbed_up from Cuero will be playing LB at UH this year...

Also, OU's TE Finley (Only player to score a TD against UT in the Cotton Bowl this year) played 7th and 8th grade ball in Cuero when his father coached here...

44INAROW
04-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Kyle Noack was gonna go play. not tottaly sure on his thoughts

:D I can't speak for him, but I'd be willing to bet his thoughts are more along the line on his upcoming senior year

un b weavable
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I heard Kyle got rear ended pretty good the other day. I guess their OK, unlike their car.

4x100jackets
04-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Why is he not running this yr. I know his Soph. yr he was the anchor leg on the 4x100, he was hurt his Jr. yr, what about this yr?

crabman
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
His freshman year he might have run anchor on the JV or Freshman team. I don't remember. Last year he was a sophomore. Brandon James was our anchor last year. This year Kyle is a junior. He is going to regionals in the 400 and 4x400. I have heard a rumor that he and Courtney Williams will scratch out of the 400 to see if we can get all three relays to state.

gobbler84
04-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
Why is he not running this yr. I know his Soph. yr he was the anchor leg on the 4x100, he was hurt his Jr. yr, what about this yr?

Dude they are talking about Kyle Noack...I take it your thinking about Latreal Cooper!! He does do the track workouts after school everyday but he hasn't run in a track meet yet...