PDA

View Full Version : No Pass No Play? Not grades, but random drug tests...

Gobbla2001
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Magnolia ISD has used it for a couple of years... Tomball and Cy-Fair ISD's are looking to do the same thing in a way by giving random drugs tests to students competing in extracurricular activities... I believe at Tomball ISD this will also include Parking Permit holders (not too sure how Magnolia ISD currently does it and how Cy-Fair ISD plans to do it, but as far as I know it is just for extracurricular activities)

At Tomball ISD, the students with parking permits and who compete in extracurricular activities would be tested for illegal drugs, performance-enhancing drugs and alcohol...

If tested positive, the students would have to sit out of their extracurricular activity for 10 days... The parking permit holders would lose their permit for 10 days (meaning they'd have to either park off-campus or hitch a ride to school)...

I would post a poll, but it is more complicated than that... But I want to know how you feel about this?

I myself don't think it's too bad of an idea...

Students compete in extracurricular activities because it's fun for them... They want to play sports, they want to play in the band, these are all things they want to do... they also want to be able to park on campus instead of across the street or what have you... these things are priviliges to these students... taking these things away for 10 days isn't too bad of an idea... if they love it enough, they'll lay off the drugs etc... and that is something most of us want...

So basically, to me, it is just like the "No Pass No Play" rule in regard to their grades... it helps a lot of students do better in school if they know they cannot compete in extracirricular activities without passing...

The big problem I have with it is that it is legal for a child to drink alcoholic beverages as long as they are within eyesight of their parents... IF my parents would have told me when I was younger that I could drink infront of them, you damn well better bet I would...

This, in my eyes, would be more the parents fault if the child was allowed to drink infront of them...

Maybe the parents should be allowed to take the blame on that one?

Interesting topic...

olddawggreen
04-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Maybe it would be a better idea to test everyone that has a lunch ticket, those that fail couldn't eat for 10 days.:D That would definatley be tough on the pot smokers.

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 09:11 AM
they would have to quit if you took away the cheetoes.

Phil C
04-18-2006, 09:21 AM
I think it should be done for all students and in all schools.

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 09:24 AM
i think that it would help the kids, but what would the parent s do when they find out that their lil darlings are pot heads?

zeus63
04-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Maybe it would be a better idea to test everyone that has a lunch ticket, those that fail couldn't eat for 10 days.:D That would definatley be tough on the pot smokers.

HAHAHA!!!

Seriously though, I understand giving kids one chance because everybody messes up. But, if it becomes habitual then they should be gone.

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
it is bad to say, but do you think that most teachers and parents want to admit that te kids do bad things. the power of denial is what keeps some people going.

but if you are going to test athletes, you need to test everyone. everyone is using government money to goto school. I am not sure what the punishment should be, but it wouldnt be fair to test just the athletes.

Go after the AG kids too :D

Phil C
04-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately, with the way some things are going it might be a good idea for the teachers and administration be tested too. :(

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 09:41 AM
phil i am sure that most teachers would agree to it.

heck, we theyhave time or enough money to be potheads....not with the price of snack foods on the rise.

Phil C
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
phil i am sure that most teachers would agree to it.

heck, we theyhave time or enough money to be potheads....not with the price of snack foods on the rise.

And don't forget the rising cost of gasoline! That may be one thing good about it. No money for drugs since we have to have gasoline for our cars. :)

Phil C
04-18-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
And don't forget the rising cost of gasoline! That may be one thing good about it. No money for drugs since we have to have gasoline for our cars. :)

Say, maybe only the Fat Cats will be able to afford illegal drugs. :)

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
i bet that they can afford alot more than the HS kids can.

mustang04
04-18-2006, 10:01 AM
i dont like the idea....

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2006, 10:03 AM
but what would the parent s do when they find out that their lil darlings are pot heads?
This parent would kick their son's butt up and down the street. ;)

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 10:09 AM
LHPM- i bet your son knows that and that is one reason why he probably stays away from it.

last night at dinner my wife and i were discussing how some parents know everything that their sons and daughters are doing. I told her that when we have kids that i probably wouldnt want to know about everything. I think that it would be hard as a parent to know that you kid is the slut of the school or the pot head idiot at the party.

some parents do a great job....i wish that more paid closer attention to what is going on.

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2006, 10:26 AM
According to him (will be 15 on Monday), I'm in his business too much and I'm "mean" because I have certain rules that he thinks he's too big to have to follow. I remember the older ones having similar thoughts around that age. The one that's completing his 3rd year at UT actually thanked me several months ago for the rules and values. (The stepson, 22, will never admit to that....) A few weeks ago, I was visiting with the mother of one of #55's good friends. She's "mean", too. ;)

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
According to him (will be 15 on Monday), I'm in his business too much and I'm "mean" because I have certain rules that he thinks he's too big to have to follow. I remember the older ones having similar thoughts around that age. The one that's completing his 3rd year at UT actually thanked me several months ago for the rules and values. (The stepson, 22, will never admit to that....) A few weeks ago, I was visiting with the mother of one of #55's good friends. She's "mean", too. ;)

great job...i wish there were more "mean" parents. it seems like there are too many that either dont care, dont know, or dont give a D@MN.

also, too many parents want to be the "friend" to the kid. i know some that say it is ok to get drunk and have friends over as long as you do it my house so i know where you are at.

I wish i could just say, "Be a parent not the drinking buddy"

GREAT JOB to all of the "MEAN" parents in the world.

AggieJohn
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
i don't think guys are juicing like the pros are.......they just can't afford it

Gobbla2001
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
I can see your points about "why just athletes"... but it's not just athletes... it's band participants, headline writing for UIL competition, basically anything extracurricular that a student WANTS to do... also parking permits... kids want that so they can park on campus...

What are you gunna do, take away a kid's right to go to school for 10 days? I think they'd enjoy that...

Good topic of discussion though...

Gobbla2001
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that your child is not required to 'compete' in these extracirricular activities... so I guess this is a case of the school wanting the kids representing their extracirricular teams drug free...

shouldn't a school have the right to chose which students are on their teams (as a coach/UIL comp teacher choses who is stronger for their team?)???

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I can see your points about "why just athletes"... but it's not just athletes... it's band participants, headline writing for UIL competition, basically anything extracurricular that a student WANTS to do... also parking permits... kids want that so they can park on campus...

What are you gunna do, take away a kid's right to go to school for 10 days? I think they'd enjoy that...

Good topic of discussion though...

there are some schools that do the parking/extracurricular thing....i think that Katy does it.

i dont know what to do to the kids that get busted with pot or X in their system.

Hupernikomen
04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think it should be done for all students and in all schools.

Supreme Court has already struck that done.

JasperDog94
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
The big problem I have with it is that it is legal for a child to drink alcoholic beverages as long as they are within eyesight of their parents... Are you sure about that? I thought that was "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor".:confused:

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Are you sure about that? I thought that was "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor".:confused:

i believe that a parent can give it to their kids, but many restaurants and bars wont let it happen.

if a parent gives it to someone elses kid, then that is contributing...from what i understand.

olddawggreen
04-18-2006, 02:44 PM
LHPM- i bet your son knows that and that is one reason why he probably stays away from it.

last night at dinner my wife and i were discussing how some parents know everything that their sons and daughters are doing. I told her that when we have kids that i probably wouldnt want to know about everything. I think that it would be hard as a parent to know that you kid is the slut of the school or the pot head idiot at the party.

some parents do a great job....i wish that more paid closer attention to what is going on.

I don't think parents ever know everything. But it definatly pays to communicate daily. Ask questions and know who your kids are spending time with.

olddawggreen
04-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I hear what your saying LH PM, several times our 15 year old has gotten upset with us and told us we care too much:eek: duh.......:rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-18-2006, 02:49 PM
I hear what your saying LH PM, several times our 15 year old has gotten upset with us and told us we care too much:eek: duh.......:rolleyes:
Feel free to let him know that I said that's not a bad thing. :)

raider red 2000
04-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I don't think parents ever know everything. But it definatly pays to communicate daily. Ask questions and know who your kids are spending time with.

good suggestion

olddawggreen
04-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that your child is not required to 'compete' in these extracirricular activities... so I guess this is a case of the school wanting the kids representing their extracirricular teams drug free...

shouldn't a school have the right to chose which students are on their teams (as a coach/UIL comp teacher choses who is stronger for their team?)???

Another thing to keep in mind, regardless of who the Administrators would like to test. Its really all about the $$$. I understand the cost of testing starts around $30.00 per student, which can really become a burden quickly for some school districts.

mustang68
04-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Test em all!!!! Including teachers and administrators.
I belive one would find the largest group of substance abusers are the same that do not attend school, pass TAKS, or basicly give a ________(you fill in the blank)

Gobbla2001
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, regardless of who the Administrators would like to test. Its really all about the $$$. I understand the cost of testing starts around $30.00 per student, which can really become a burden quickly for some school districts.

I believe Cy-Fair would receive 2 million from the gov't to help pay for the program... doubt it is yearly but until it runs dry...