PDA

View Full Version : Duke Lacross

GreenMonster
04-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Anyone else here feel that these kids are getting the shaft? I feel like their University bailed on them and jumped to conclusions well before any real details were available. The school cancelled their season and forced the coach to resign over allegations. There is no proof. The DNA samples came back negative for every team member. The DA refuses to give up on the case because it is an election year and he's trying to get re-elected. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty in this land. I see a Civil suit in the near future against Duke University, the accuser, and the DA. There is some serious slandering going on up there in Carolina and I hope those kids strike back. Well brothers......until next time.......

Cameron Crazy
04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I tottaly agree with O.W.C.H.I president everything was blown out of proportion.

Phil C
04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
I wonder if things weren't done premature if the DNA tests results are legitimate. It goes to show that things were done hastily. Of course the one that sent that email threat needs to be disciplined but not the whole team.

Cameron Crazy
04-15-2006, 11:01 AM
I cant believe they cancelled the whole year

espn1
04-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
I cant believe they cancelled the whole year
Pi$$ on'em. I'd transfer

Old Tiger
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
It really sucks for the coach.

hutex04
04-15-2006, 07:19 PM
I disagree. The coach is responsible for those guys, if they are having a huge party with dancers and alcohol than he is responsible. Canceling the season was a smart move. Cause no matter if they are innocent or guilty all they will recieve is bad press at all there games. Duke is giving a zero tolerance with this situation and i think it will turn out best in the end.

Old Tiger
04-15-2006, 07:25 PM
There wouldn't be no press about it if the stupid stripper wouldn't have made the false allegations. It would of been just another college party.

GreenMonster
04-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
I disagree. The coach is responsible for those guys, if they are having a huge party with dancers and alcohol than he is responsible. Canceling the season was a smart move. Cause no matter if they are innocent or guilty all they will recieve is bad press at all there games. Duke is giving a zero tolerance with this situation and i think it will turn out best in the end.

I agree, the coach is responsible. He is also responsible for dishing out the punishment that goes with getting caught having a huge party. It is not his responsibility to baby sit these 19 to 23 year olds. They are old enough to know better and old enough to deal with the repercussions that go along with it. My college coach would have had a hey day running our guts out and he would have had a nice long sit down with us to teach us how to be men.

hutex04
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
obviously this coach was not teaching his men much when they were out getting drunk and messing with strippers

GreenMonster
04-15-2006, 11:34 PM
obviously this coach was not teaching his men much when they were out getting drunk and messing with strippers

Again, 19-23 year old young men here. I don't know what you were doing at 19-23 but I was living a wild and crazy life like these KIDS.

espn1
04-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah! I'm glad they don't do that at any other schools.:confused: :confused: :confused:

District303aPastPlayer
04-16-2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
There wouldn't be no press about it if the stupid stripper wouldn't have made the false allegations. It would of been just another college party.

word.

hutex04
04-16-2006, 01:48 AM
kids are going to party, but if the coach was more strict with them like " if yall mess up you will be off the team" i have zero tolerance for drugs and blah blah blah. Than maybe this would never happen. He wasent strict with them and they did whatever they wanted

SWMustang
04-16-2006, 03:08 AM
kids are going to party, but if the coach was more strict with them like " if yall mess up you will be off the team" i have zero tolerance for drugs and blah blah blah. Than maybe this would never happen. He wasent strict with them and they did whatever they wanted

I think you have an unreal expectation of how much control one person can excert on 45 guys.

District303aPastPlayer
04-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think you have an unreal expectation of how much control one person can excert on 45 guys.

also very true...

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Actually, it would have been just another college ATHLETE party, many of whom are on scholarship. I know this might be surprising, but I'm about to present what may be a very unpopular opinion :eek: :eek: with some and some cold facts.

Have you seen the cost of an education at Duke? Tuition & fees, room & board, books & supplies: $42,179 per academic year, $168,716 to graduate in 4 years (without summer school).

All college teams have rules which may be more strict for their scholarship players. When a coach is handing out millions of dollars in scholarships, he/she is going to have some expectations from the players in follwing whatever rules have been set up & consequences for breaking them (or should). This coach has his entire team involved.

Now, I do think the cancellation of the entire season was overboard, but just possibly the team rule is "you get caught drinking, you're suspended for the rest of the season". I feel badly for the players as far as the false allegations are concerned and for the coach for having to resign.

GreenMonster
04-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Actually, it would have been just another college ATHLETE party, many of whom are on scholarship. I know this might be surprising, but I'm about to present what may be a very unpopular opinion :eek: :eek: with some and some cold facts.

Have you seen the cost of an education at Duke? Tuition & fees, room & board, books & supplies: $42,179 per academic year, $168,716 to graduate in 4 years (without summer school).

All college teams have rules which may be more strict for their scholarship players. When a coach is handing out millions of dollars in scholarships, he/she is going to have some expectations from the players in follwing whatever rules have been set up & consequences for breaking them (or should). This coach has his entire team involved.

Now, I do think the cancellation of the entire season was overboard, but just possibly the team rule is "you get caught drinking, you're suspended for the rest of the season". I feel badly for the players as far as the false allegations are concerned and for the coach for having to resign.

I think that is reasonable LHPM.

Old Tiger
04-16-2006, 12:08 PM
kids are going to party, but if the coach was more strict with them like " if yall mess up you will be off the team" i have zero tolerance for drugs and blah blah blah. Than maybe this would never happen. He wasent strict with them and they did whatever they wanted So you're saying the coach should have so much authority over the players that the men of the Duke lacrosse team who are over 21 cannot drink even though he is of legal age?

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2006, 01:18 PM
So you're saying the coach should have so much authority over the players that the men of the Duke lacrosse team who are over 21 cannot drink even though he is of legal age?
During the season, for $170,000 FREE education, you bet. How well do you think the Longhorns football team would have done if all the over-21 players showed up to the games and/or practices hungover or still drunk? If drinking is the priority, then IMO the student should be paying for their own education and let someone who's serious about being an athlete have that scholarship.

GreenMonster
04-17-2006, 12:23 AM
During the season, for $170,000 FREE education, you bet. How well do you think the Longhorns football team would have done if all the over-21 players showed up to the games and/or practices hungover or still drunk? If drinking is the priority, then IMO the student should be paying for their own education and let someone who's serious about being an athlete have that scholarship.

I'm sure that the team does have rules about drinking. The players know the rules and the players know the consequences for breaking the rules. But this thread isn't about drinking, it's about a big time university with a very hoity toity attitude trying to distance itself from a POTENTIAL black mark on their spotless image.

LH Panther Mom
04-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I'm sure that the team does have rules about drinking. The players know the rules and the players know the consequences for breaking the rules. But this thread isn't about drinking, it's about a big time university with a very hoity toity attitude trying to distance itself from a POTENTIAL black mark on their spotless image.
Well heck, I misunderstood that this was originally about the hoity toity part. :p (I was just answering Tiger WR's question.... ;) )

GreenMonster
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Well heck, I misunderstood that this was originally about the hoity toity part. :p (I was just answering Tiger WR's question.... ;) )

:) Just trying to Pirate my thread back to where I think it belongs. :D