PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Trainer tops in Texas

GetRDoneStangs
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
This is a very well deserved award! Student atheletes from around the state will attest to the fact that Blades was always there no matter what team you played for.

He is an awesome person to be around, congrats Blades!!

story link http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/articles/2006/04/14/news/news5.txt

Davis honored as top trainer in Texas

By JoeMax Tomlin/Reporter Staff Writer
Once upon a time, a young athletic trainer existed in the not-so-far-off land of Grand Prairie, at an institution of education known as South Grand Prairie High School. It was the young trainer's first job after college. On a hot day during the football team's first week of two-a-days, a player was hit hard in the rib area, and the young trainer sprung into action in anxiety and excitement.

As the high schooler laid on the ground, the young trainer pulled out a pair of medical scissors and began to cut up the side of the player's jersey in order to examine the inflicted area without causing further damage by attempting to take off his shoulder pads. As he did so, one of the coaches began joking and giving the young trainer a hard time about destroying valuable athletic equipment.

After examining the player, the young trainer found that he had only bruised his ribs, and no broken bones or serious injuries existed.

The next day, when the young trainer was preparing for practice, the teasing coach entered the room, announcing to all, “Don't anybody get hurt, ol' ‘Blades' will cut your clothes off.”

The name stuck.

Years later, after holding trainer jobs in various high schools in Texas and growing in experience and stature, “Blades” was hired by coach W.T. Stapler, to teach and be the athletic trainer for a high school in the West Texas town known as Sweetwater.

He worked hard in this little town, dedicating himself to the players, coaches and various teams of the local school.

His name is Rick “Blades” Davis, and he's been the athletic trainer for Sweetwater High School for 24 years.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Davis' career in sports medicine has spanned more than 34 years. Starting at South Grand Prairie High School after his graduation from the University of Texas in Arlington and post-graduate work at the University of North Texas, he soon moved on to Arlington's Sam Houston High School, where he became the first licensed trainer in that area, establishing the athletic training program for the school.

He served six years there as the head licensed athletic trainer, after which moving on to Bridgeport High School where he spent a brief time before being recruited by Stapler to accept a position at Sweetwater High School in 1982.

While he has been here, Davis has been able to establish a first-rate athletic training program, renowned throughout the area and respected by the best athletic trainers and programs in the state.

He is a member of the National Athletic Trainers Association, Southwest Athletic Trainers Association, Texas State Trainers Association, and is licensed by the State of Texas as an athletic trainer.

He has received the 25 year award from the National Athletic Trainers Association, the 1991 Eddie Wojecki Award from the Southwest Athletic Trainers Association, and was nominated in 1996 as the Athletic Trainer of the Year for the Southwest Athletic Trainers Association.

Recently, Davis received the 2006 Texas High School Coaches Association Athletic Trainer of the Year. This is a statewide award chosen among all Texas high school trainers. The state is divided into eight regions and one trainer is selected in each region. After being nominated by and elected to represent that region, each trainer competed against each other regions for the trainer of the year title. Coaches from across the state nominate and vote on the award. And 2006 is Davis' year to take a bow for his 34 years of service to Texas high school sports medicine.

“I'm here for the kids. I don't care who they are or what color jersey they have on, if they're on my field I'm going to do what I can to help them,” commented Davis about his job.

“An athlete's an athlete,” he added, knowing that he has helped hundreds of players over the years from around the area, including opponents, and those from Roscoe, Roby, Westbrook and many other area schools.

“My goal is to take care of the sons and daughters of Texas sports.”

Davis says he owes a lot of his success to his wife, Patty, who is often called “Mrs. Blades” by members of the community. A Sweetwater High athlete and graduate herself, Patty and “Blades” met when he began his career at SHS.

“It takes a dedicated wife to support a dedicated trainer to support dedicated coaches and players,” said Davis.

He is also thankful for the successful student-trainer program he has been able to establish with the school.

Year after year, students sign up to be trainers under Davis, a program which has grown dramatically in popularity since his arrival 24 years ago.

“I try to give the student-trainers positive feedback. I've been lucky to have such great students. This (student-trainer program) is one thing I'm very proud of.”

Many of Blades' former student-trainers have gone on to be successful as teachers, certified athletic trainers, college sports trainers, as well as a number of them have gone into the medical field, and one is currently the superintendent at Albany High School.

“I try to influence young people to do something with their lives.”

When talking about the people he works with in the community, Davis is very open, and thankful.

“I've had nothing but great support here. The coaches always listen to my recommendations and respect my opinion. If I say a player can't play, the coach says ‘Okay.' The medical community here has also always been very supportive,” he said. “Dr. Larry McEachern has been the team doctor since I've been here. I've worked with all the medical staff and doctors at the hospital and EMTs at the fire department and they've always been good to me because they know that I'm going to do what's best for the kids.”

When explaining his duties, Davis said, “My main job is the prevention, evaluation and treatment of athletic injuries. It is important to me to put the injured player first. If they can't play, I'm not going to let them because if a coach makes a mistake, he could lose the game. But if I make a mistake, I could lose an athlete.”

Davis retired from teaching in 2004, but remains the head licensed athletic trainer for Sweetwater High School.

As far as the future goes, “I hope to end my training career here in Sweetwater. I plan to do the best job I can taking care of the young athletes of the area, and retire here.”

Davis is currently caring for his second generation of Sweet-water athletes.

From a young, inexperienced trainer in Grand Prairie, to a 34-year licensed veteran, Davis has led the life of a person who truly cares for his work, for young people and for the community which he remains committed to.

“When I look back, I can't think of anything else that I'd rather do with my life than this,” commented Davis in contemplation.

You can see Davis in action at SHS home games in a variety of sports.

STANG RED
04-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Blades has been a very special part of Sweetwater for a long time. All of us that have been lucky enough to have athletes go through Sweetwater High School, owe a great debt of graditude to him. It doestn matter if your kid is the star QB or a 3rd string girls volleyball player. Blades treats any and all of them with the same love, care and respect. Congrats to Blades on an award that is well deserved. Every school should be so lucky as to have such a fine man taking care of their student athletes. We have always known how special he is, and now all of you know to.
WAY TO GO BLADES!!!

injuredinmelee
04-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Nice story. whoever wrote that needs to apply at the Abilene reporter news because that article was far and above anything i have read in the arn since they ran off Al Pickett.

GetRDoneStangs
04-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Nice story. whoever wrote that needs to apply at the Abilene reporter news because that article was far and above anything i have read in the arn since they ran off Al Pickett.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cameron Crazy
04-14-2006, 06:09 PM
GO TRAINERS!!!!

smustangs
04-14-2006, 06:38 PM
blades is very deserving a great man whom i hold in very high regard he would give you the shirt off his back if he thought it would help couldnt have happened to a better person

SwtwtrMstngs04
04-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I was a trainer under that guy for 4 years there were good times and very bad times lol but it was the funnest class i ever had. he is a good teacher when he isnt yelling.