PDA

View Full Version : Where does your tax dollar go?

spiveyrat
04-14-2006, 10:08 AM
From boortz.com:
==============================================
AND JUST HOW BIG IS YOUR TOTAL TAX BITE?

The Georgia Public Policy Foundation steered me to a rather interesting (though not shocking) facts on taxation in America. The source is an article by Michael K. Evans posted on IndustryWeek.com. Do you have any idea just how huge your total tax load is? Take a look at these facts.

First -- and this fact is now beyond debate -- all taxes are paid by individuals. All taxes are levied against wealth, and only individuals hold wealth. For those of you who attended government schools, and are thus a little slow on concepts like this, corporations are not wealthy. Corporate shareholders hold that wealth. Individuals. So ... for the sake of Evan's article, he says that the taxes are paid by employees or proprietors, the owners of small businesses. Now .. the tab:

* Total federal income taxes collected last year: $932 billion. That works out to $6,650 per employee.
* In addition to income taxes, the federal government collected another $1.286 trillion in taxes, mostly Social Security taxes.
* The total state and local tax burden amounts to $1.14 trillion.
* The grand sum here -- paid by employees and proprietors -- is $3.358 trillion. That's $3,358,000,000,000.00
* This works out to $24,000 per employee.
* The total compensation earned by employees and individual proprietors last year was $8.2 trillion.
* This means that 40% of income goes to taxes of some sort.
* That rate, of course, is much higher for those earning higher incomes. Much lower for those in low income brackets.
* Nice, huh?
Now ... grab this fact. Where did most of this money go? National defense? Homeland security? Hardly. In terms of Federal expenditures you have:

$495 billion for national defense.
$272 billion spent by the federal government for the purchase of goods and payment of employees
$1.69 trillion sent to someone else. $1.69 trillion in income redistribution.

==============================================

I left his last sentence off so as to not offend some you.

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Am I the only person on here working on income taxes today?

spiveyrat
04-14-2006, 11:11 AM
Did mine two weeks ago... :)

lepfan
04-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Guess I need to call for an extension....AGAIN!

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Did mine two weeks ago... :)
I would've but since we are having to fork over some bucks, I've been putting it off. :(

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Am I the only person on here working on income taxes today?

and Happy Easter to you...just doesn't seem quite right, does it?;)

Cameron Crazy
04-14-2006, 11:42 AM
I have not one tax dollar lol!

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
and Happy Easter to you...just doesn't seem quite right, does it?;)
Right now, with the "tax basis", depreciation, blah blah blah stuff on the sale of our house in Lubbock, I'm either going to be violently ill or I'm going to take a break for a couple of hours. :nerd: :nerd:

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Right now, with the "tax basis", depreciation, blah blah blah stuff on the sale of our house in Lubbock, I'm either going to be violently ill or I'm going to take a break for a couple of hours. :nerd: :nerd:

Take a break...it beats the violently ill alternative. :D

I'm glad I just hand all of mine over to someone else...even getting it ready to hand over though is somewhat of a pain. We had to get ours done really early this year because of FAFSA ... boy, did we get ripped off. I say we give some more of our tax dollars to foreign countries...:doh:

Old Green
04-14-2006, 05:07 PM
I put my taxes in the mail this morning and a check for an additional $2500:mad: :weeping:

Aesculus gilmus
04-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Question:

If you get rid of all the federal government employees, what would they do for a living? The illegals are taking the "jobs they won't do" and most of the ones they "would do" are being outsourced to lower-wage locales in Asia.

However, as I know most on here are strong supporters of the current regime, I say go for it while you still control all three branches. Also cut off Social Security and Medicare—immediately. Shift all of that to the never-ending "war on terror." I am sure all of America will thank you.

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I put my taxes in the mail this morning and a check for an additional $2500:mad: :weeping:
I would've traded you check amounts. :weeping: :weeping: Thank goodness I've finished both sets.

pirate44
04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
thank goodness for TurboTax

LH Panther Mom
04-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
thank goodness for TurboTax
I've used TaxCut for years, very similar I think. I'm no tax dummy even long-hand, but we had some extra fun stuff this last year. :doh:

whtfbplaya
04-16-2006, 10:24 PM
We have till mon. and I am getting back.:D :D :D :clap:

Old Green
04-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I would've traded you check amounts. :weeping: :weeping: Thank goodness I've finished both sets. I think I'll be happy right where I'm at. If it wasn't for medical deductions it would have been worse.:(

Adidas410s
04-16-2006, 11:58 PM
the key words of the original post seemed to have skipped everyone but me...

INCOME REDISTRIBUTION!!!

Instead of going into a random, inspired lecture (it's way too late for that)...I'll just instead ask what is the first thought that you have when you hear the words "income redistribution?" Think about it...

GreenMonster
04-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
the key words of the original post seemed to have skipped everyone but me...

INCOME REDISTRIBUTION!!!

Instead of going into a random, inspired lecture (it's way too late for that)...I'll just instead ask what is the first thought that you have when you hear the words "income redistribution?" Think about it...

welfare. Get a job you worthless, lazy SOB's. I know people on disability that all that's wrong with them is they are fat. Why are they fat? Because they sit at home watching soap operas eating potato chips they bought with food stamps and scratching lotto tickets with the $ daddy gave them out of his Social Security check. I also know people that have managed to put braces on the teeth of their children with Medicaid. The same children that had missed the maximum number of days of school by Thanksgiving break. The worst part about this one, the mother gets a check to cover gas and mileage on her vehicle for Dr's visits because the nearest Orthodontist that accepts Medicaid is in Dallas, 140 miles down the road. Actually, that isn't the worst part, the really worst part is the mom and dad divorced, filed for joint custody of the children (so no one pays child support) but they still live together as man and wife and only use the wife's tax return documents to make them look poorer than they really are so they can qualify for better benefits for the kids. Now ain't that a crock of POOPIE!!!!!

Adidas410s
04-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
welfare. Get a job you worthless, lazy SOB's. I know people on disability that all that's wrong with them is they are fat. Why are they fat? Because they sit at home watching soap operas eating potato chips they bought with food stamps and scratching lotto tickets with the $ daddy gave them out of his Social Security check. I also know people that have managed to put braces on the teeth of their children with Medicaid. The same children that had missed the maximum number of days of school by Thanksgiving break. The worst part about this one, the mother gets a check to cover gas and mileage on her vehicle for Dr's visits because the nearest Orthodontist that accepts Medicaid is in Dallas, 140 miles down the road. Actually, that isn't the worst part, the really worst part is the mom and dad divorced, filed for joint custody of the children (so no one pays child support) but they still live together as man and wife and only use the wife's tax return documents to make them look poorer than they really are so they can qualify for better benefits for the kids. Now ain't that a crock of POOPIE!!!!!

That is a sad story indeed. We need to get the fat cats to come over and sit on them!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Actually, I was referring to communism with my "income redistribution" comment because that is one of the fundamental principles of communism...ala doing the greatest good for the greatest number!