PDA

View Full Version : Texas halts arrests of drunks in bars....

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2006, 09:59 AM
We solved this problem weeks ago...guess while we talked about it, others got busy...interesting.

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A controversial Texas programme to send undercover agents into bars to arrest drunks has been halted after a firestorm of protest from the public.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has "temporarily suspended" what it called "Operation Last Call" even though it still believes it was worthwhile, commission spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said on Thursday.

"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," she said.

She said most of those arrested in the sting operations had been "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive if TABC agents had not busted them.

The TABC has launched an internal investigation of Operation Last Call and a Texas Legislature committee will hold hearings on the programme on Monday.

The TABC announced the programme in late August but it received little attention at the time.

But recent media reports that drunks were being arrested in bars provoked both ridicule and anger around the world and, perhaps more importantly, complaints from hotels, restaurants and bars in Texas who said it could hurt business.

The programme drew support from groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

The Houston Chronicle found that 1,740 people across the state had been arrested for public intoxication in Operation Last Call.

(c) Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Adidas410s
04-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I was getting kind of worried for a while until I read this in the DMN the other day. I know that somebody on here posted the story about the guy who was staying at the DFW Airport Marriott and was arrested in the hotel bar and ended up losing his job...well that is where I will be "entertaining" customers at for about 5 days in May during the Byron Nelson and I was terrified about what might happen. Being new to the company...don't want to be the guy who "gets the boot" before I even get my feet wet!:(

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
We solved this problem weeks ago...guess while we talked about it, others got busy...interesting.
Just another example of something "we've" solved. ;)

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I was getting kind of worried for a while until I read this in the DMN the other day. I know that somebody on here posted the story about the guy who was staying at the DFW Airport Marriott and was arrested in the hotel bar and ended up losing his job...well that is where I will be "entertaining" customers at for about 5 days in May during the Byron Nelson and I was terrified about what might happen. Being new to the company...don't want to be the guy who "gets the boot" before I even get my feet wet!:(

LOL...looks like you got a reprieve...party on!:D

Cameron Crazy
04-14-2006, 11:44 AM
What day is the byron nelson?

Adidas410s
04-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
What day is the byron nelson?

may 11-14 i think

44INAROW
04-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
may 11-14 i think

Guess I'll have to miss the Thursday and Friday coverage due to a previous engagement in Austin :)

Blastoderm55
04-14-2006, 12:17 PM
If bar owners and servers are serving to people who are already obviously past their limit, they are the ones who should be slapped with a fine or jail time. As a business owner, I'd much rather refuse a last drink that have a patron puke all over the place and make a humiliating ass of his or her self. Not to mention the liability in the case of alcohol poisoning. Bars need to take the initiative and regulate themselves. Hell, drunks, in my opinion, drive myself and others who drink conservatively away from bar-type settings. Seems like catering to a more responible-drinking customer base would be more profitable to a business.

olddawggreen
04-14-2006, 02:46 PM

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A controversial Texas programme to send undercover agents into bars to arrest drunks has been halted after a firestorm of protest from the public.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has "temporarily suspended" what it called "Operation Last Call" even though it still believes it was worthwhile, commission spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said on Thursday.

"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," she said.

She said most of those arrested in the sting operations had been "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive if TABC agents had not busted them.

The TABC has launched an internal investigation of Operation Last Call and a Texas Legislature committee will hold hearings on the programme on Monday.

The TABC announced the programme in late August but it received little attention at the time.

But recent media reports that drunks were being arrested in bars provoked both ridicule and anger around the world and, perhaps more importantly, complaints from hotels, restaurants and bars in Texas who said it could hurt business.

The programme drew support from groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

The Houston Chronicle found that 1,740 people across the state had been arrested for public intoxication in Operation Last Call.

(c) Reuters 2006. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Maybe if they resume the program at a later date, it would be more fare and effective if the TABC super troopers would hang out in the parking lots and catch the guys as they get behind the wheel.:eek: :mad:

AP Panther Fan
04-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Maybe if they resume the program at a later date, it would be more fare and effective if the TABC super troopers would hang out in the parking lots and catch the guys as they get behind the wheel.:eek: :mad:

Agreed, or they let the police handle that and go in and pop the bar owner/server for letting the guy get in that shape... which is what I thought they were supposed to be doing all along.:thinking:

sinton66
04-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen

Corpus Christi has been doing that for years. They call it "The Blue Light Patrol" and are active especially during holidays. This current attempt has failed for the same reason all others have. They tried to enact a law designed to "teach" us something. They need to stick to enforcement of the laws already on the books.

LH Panther Mom
04-14-2006, 03:51 PM
Agreed, or they let the police handle that and go in and pop the bar owner/server for letting the guy get in that shape... which is what I thought they were supposed to be doing all along.:thinking:
That is what is supposed to be happening. I'm sure it seemed much easier to haul off some falling-down drunks, than it would've been to deal with the owners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: