PDA

View Full Version : How many of you know what a turkey shoot is?

cdlvj
04-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Do they even exist anymore?

STANG RED
04-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Yep! I go to one in Rotan and another in Roby every October.
The Rotan HS Jr. Class and fire department put theirs on, and the Roby volunteer fire dept. puts on the one there. I usually just shoot skeet, but the have target shooting, turkey head shooting, and bingo also.

Or are you talking about the old type of turkey shoot like they used to do like a rabbit drive? I doubt you'll find any of those anymore.

whtfbplaya
04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Does it have anything to do with shooting a turkey?

exbccards76'smom
04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
You shoot at a target, and whoever is closest to the bull's eye wins a turkey.

pirate44
04-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by exbccards76'smom
that doesnt sound as fun as shooting a turkey

clayton7
04-13-2006, 07:04 AM
They have turkey shoots in Monaville annually.

whtfbplaya
04-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by pirate44

Not even close.:D

cdlvj
04-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Do you remember what it cost to enter? I think it was like fifty cents.

Usually they had like 20 to 25 entries per round.

I remember one time, the entrants would wait at the table for the guy to bring back the targets. One of the targets had like a huge hole in the center. And out in the distance this person was high tailing it out of there.

The trick was to open the shell and pour wax around the pellets so that they would stay together. I guess this guy used to much.

cdlvj
04-13-2006, 08:06 AM
I have heard that some places did actually shoot at live turkeys with a .22.

BTEXDAD
04-13-2006, 08:26 AM
If you're a big animal rights lover don't read.

There are still a number of turkey shoots around.
The old style shoot had a turkey tied by the leg behind a low wall. Shooters are using rifle. With a turkey call, they try to get the turkey to stick its head up above the wall and then they shoot it before it lowers it's head again. Not too many of this kind around, but I have friends who go to one annually in the hill country (I think Johnson City) near their deer lease. Don't know cost of this one.
The only kind I've gone to the shooters use shotguns and shoot at targets. Hole closest to center wins. Rounds may be for frozen turkeys, hams, sausage or some other type of meat. If you have a good shotgun that holds pattern well, you have good chance of stocking your freezer for a reasonable price.
Normally you can't bring your own loaded shells (with wax or whatever). The organization sponsoring the shoot supplies the shells. Cost is usually over a dollar per round.

Adidas410s
04-13-2006, 08:34 AM

LOL

BullFrog Dad
04-13-2006, 08:48 AM
E-mail Author
Author Archive
Send to a Friend
Print Version

November 23, 2005, 8:42 a.m.
Hey PETA, Eat This!
A Thanksgiving tale.

Each year around Thanksgiving, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals makes the evening news with some new campaign to get people to stop eating turkey. This year PETA wants me to believe that if I enjoy my annual serving of turkey at Thanksgiving, then I'm probably going to get the Asian bird flu. In order to make sure I'm aware of the threat, PETA members will "lie naked in flower-decorated coffins outside the Department of Agriculture" — just in case I walk by. As an alternative, PETA says I should ingest something called "tofurkey."

Although I'll pass on the tofurkey, I would like to thank PETA for its sincere concern for my health and in return, offer up a little Thanksgiving anecdote sure to warm the cockles of their turkey-loving hearts.

We show up at the ranch pretty early — usually before dawn — to start setting up for the turkey shoot. For me, that involves standing around, drinking coffee and trying to avoid any actual work. Slowly, folks from all over start trickling in — greeting friends, trying to stay warm, and setting up tents where they'll serve barbeque, tamales, and beer for the rest of the day.

Still others take out their rifles and start sighting in at the firing range. At the end of the range is a ditch. Pretty soon, if I'm working at the shoot, I have to take the four-wheeler down to the ditch and help set up. That involves taking a live turkey out of a trailer full of them, zip-tying its legs, and putting it in a wooden box with just its head sticking out. Another zip-tie holds the head in place, and then the box goes on top of a platform in the ditch so that just the turkey's head and neck stick up over the top.

It's $1 a shot. If you hit a turkey, it's yours. Same rules apply to the archery range nearby.

A man and his wife are on the scene to clean your turkey and bag it. Local people get a turkey for (if they're good shots) less than they otherwise would have paid. Sometimes, if they're lucky, they can make two and have a Christmas turkey also. In addition, the proceeds from the shoot go to community organizations and charities. And it's a whole lot of fun. Everybody wins!

Of course, I understand that the folks at PETA might not see it that way. Let me see if I can anticipate their objections and offer rebuttals.

1. The turkeys don't stand a chance: True, but neither do they stand a chance when they're lined up for the chopping block. At least this way is a bit more sporting.

2. It's not sporting at all: Okay, PETA, let's see you hit a target the size of a lemon from 100 yards.

3. What happens if the turkey doesn't die right away?: The box sort of explodes with wing-flapping, at which point one of us has to run out and drag it down and take the turkey out of the box and strangle it.

4. You're a sick freak: That may be true, but which one of us parades around in the nude on the sidewalk in front of the Department of Agriculture? Which, due to its proximity to the Smithsonian museums, is heavily trafficked by small children?

5. Yeah, but — : Speaking of children, PETA activists have always targeted this demographic in an attempt to alienate children from their parents and create a new generation of carnivore-hating radicals. The latest salvo in this effort is a series of comic books like "Your Daddy Kills Animals," featuring a villainous father hoisting a fish in the air and slicing it open with knife. The books contain graphic images and passages like, "Imagine that a man dangles a piece of candy in front of you. ... As you grab the candy, a huge metal hook stabs through your hand and you're ripped off the ground. You fight to get away, but it doesn't do any good... That would be an awful trick to play on someone, wouldn't it?"

Probably the best thing about the turkey shoot is that there aren't any PETA weirdoes in the part of Texas where we have it, so no one has to put up with college students in a giant fish costumes calling us murderers or naked protesters telling us that Thanksgiving is worse than the Holocaust (unless, of course, we venture too close to Austin). I'll be going back there soon for a little break from the p.c. circus, and that's something for which I'm very, very thankful.

— Stephen Spruiell reports on the media for National Review Online's new media blog.

Cameron Crazy
04-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Bunch of people shoot harmless turkey lol i do it though good eatin

AP Panther Fan
04-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

The old style shoot had a turkey tied by the leg behind a low wall. Shooters are using rifle. With a turkey call, they try to get the turkey to stick its head up above the wall and then they shoot it before it lowers it's head again.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

At least you warned me;) :D

SintonFan
04-13-2006, 11:21 AM
:clap: :D

lepfan
04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Do they even exist anymore? They do in Rattan Oklahoma! Every year the FFA guys/girls put one on!

cdlvj
04-13-2006, 01:09 PM

The old style shoot had a turkey tied by the leg behind a low wall. Shooters are using rifle. With a turkey call, they try to get the turkey to stick its head up above the wall and then they shoot it before it lowers it's head again. Not too many of this kind around, but I have friends who go to one annually in the hill country (I think Johnson City) near their deer lease. Don't know cost of this one.
The only kind I've gone to the shooters use shotguns and shoot at targets. Hole closest to center wins. Rounds may be for frozen turkeys, hams, sausage or some other type of meat. If you have a good shotgun that holds pattern well, you have good chance of stocking your freezer for a reasonable price.
Normally you can't bring your own loaded shells (with wax or whatever). The organization sponsoring the shoot supplies the shells. Cost is usually over a dollar per round.

Used to be you could bring your own shells, you're right, they prohibited that later.

Bull's-eye
04-14-2006, 02:07 AM

Please don't shoot at me! :D Try to hit the target

STANG RED
04-14-2006, 08:23 AM

I have never done or seen taget shooting with a shotgun. We shoot skeet or trap, from five seperate locations with shotguns, targets with small bore at 20 yds., and turkey heads at 100 yds. with large bore and some use large bore black powder rifles. It cost a buck or two to shoot open sights, and $5 I think, to shoot with a scope. I'm a pretty good shot, but still have never hit a turkey head, but have seen it done a few times.