PDA

View Full Version : Could it be worth a try?

YoePride05
04-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I got this as an email and it caught my attention. I was just wondering what everyone thought. Sorry if it's already been posted.

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

whtfbplaya
04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by YoePride05
I got this as an email and it caught my attention. I was just wondering what everyone thought. Sorry if it's already been posted.

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.

Good luck, so in other words it isn't a good idea:thinking:

SintonFan
04-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Good luck, so in other words it isn't a good idea:thinking:
I'm gonna buy Shell and Texaco stock tonight!:D
Look, if everyone would scream to all the major oil companies over the phone, it might have a greater effect.:)
I say buy some stock AND then your voice would be heard.:thumbsup:

SWMustang
04-12-2006, 07:00 AM
I believe Exxon/Mobile is the same company

injuredinmelee
04-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Im not buying fina since it is French owned.

CHS_CG
04-12-2006, 07:47 AM
i always get gas at the conoco here in town... usually has the cheep prices, though when its 2.76 a gallon no where is cheep!

AggieJohn
04-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Im not buying fina since it is French owned. WHOOP!

Phil C
04-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Im not buying fina since it is French owned.

So people won't buy it even if it was to be a $1.00 cheaper per gallon because it is French owned? Yeah right.

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by YoePride05

Here's the idea:

Nice idea...but it won't work. When the buyers demand for gas is inelastic (as this continues to prove) then the price is controlled by the supply. We aren't changing anything in the markets, we are simply changing where we get our supply from. To see the price of gas change...the supply of available fuels MUST increase because then OPEC would have to sell gas at a cheaper price because their % of the supply decreases and they lose some control over the prices.

Phil C
04-12-2006, 08:46 AM
It is the fault of the American Fat Cats more than the French in this case.

Phil C
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
WHAT IS ALL THIS ABOUT ANYWAY! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL! TEXAS 3A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IS THE SUBJECT OF THIS WEB SITE! WHAT THE FAT CATS, FRENCH OR WORLD OIL COMPANIES DO IS NOT RELEVENT TO THIS SUBJECT! THERE YOU ALL GO AGAIN! GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT OF THIS WEB SITE! :mad:

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
WHAT IS ALL THIS ABOUT ANYWAY! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU ALL! TEXAS 3A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IS THE SUBJECT OF THIS WEB SITE! WHAT THE FAT CATS, FRENCH OR WORLD OIL COMPANIES DO IS NOT RELEVENT TO THIS SUBJECT! THERE YOU ALL GO AGAIN! GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT OF THIS WEB SITE! :mad:

It is the fault of the American Fat Cats more than the French in this case.

Phil...lay off the crazy pills!!!

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Zoolander=onlyonelook.wav

or for those of you looking for the abbreviated version...

http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Zoolander=crazypills.wav

raider red 2000
04-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Nice idea...but it won't work. When the buyers demand for gas is inelastic (as this continues to prove) then the price is controlled by the supply. We aren't changing anything in the markets, we are simply changing where we get our supply from. To see the price of gas change...the supply of available fuels MUST increase because then OPEC would have to sell gas at a cheaper price because their % of the supply decreases and they lose some control over the prices.

true- or we could buy less gas.

people can carpool or take public transportation or ride a bike.

i think that if the government cared about this problem. they would try to promote alternate fuels.

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

i think that if the government cared about this problem. they would try to promote alternate fuels.
We (collective "we") could also stop buying vehicles that get poor gas mileage....Suburbans, many SUV's, pickups with V8's, etc. As long as "we" support the automobile industry in this way, there really is no incentive for alternate fuels, or vehicles that use them, to be promoted. ;) (just my $.02)

SWMustang
04-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We (collective "we") could also stop buying vehicles that get poor gas mileage....Suburbans, many SUV's, pickups with V8's, etc. As long as "we" support the automobile industry in this way, there really is no incentive for alternate fuels, or vehicles that use them, to be promoted. ;) (just my $.02)

amen

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM

1. You can't buy "less gas." I cant find the article I'm looking for but the heavy amount of individual consumption is used in daily commuting (a necessity) and not on vacations (a luxury). Do you wan't people to just stop going to work?

2. With the exception of your major Eastern cities, public transportation is not a viable means of commuting to work for the heavy majority of people. We live nowhere near the rail service, subways are non-existent, and carpooling proves to be very inefficient due to co-workers in metropolitan areas not living in close proximity to the other. The biggest flaw with public transportation/commuting is time value of money...and in some cases time value of sleep!

3. The currently available "alternate fuels" are not an efficient short term fix. Ethanol is not as great as GM would like you to believe. Yes it's better for the environment but it is 1) less fuel efficient than unleaded gasoline and 2) more expensive. There are long run scenarios that are being explored (yes the government does care) but they will cannot solve the short run problem because of the time it will take to have them implemented.

raider red 2000
04-12-2006, 10:37 AM
so i guess we should just keep grabbing our ankles????

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
so i guess we should just keep grabbing our ankles????

I'm not saying that we should...i'm just presenting the facts as they are as opposed to trying to find somebody to blame like many others do. You can't pin this on one group of people...whether it be consumers, oil companies, OPEC, or goverments. They all have a role to play in the markets and all are performing their role in a highly inefficient manner.

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
(just my $.02)

Better save your $.02 for gas on the way home...cuz you're gonna need it! :p

raider red 2000
04-12-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm not saying that we should...i'm just presenting the facts as they are as opposed to trying to find somebody to blame like many others do. You can't pin this on one group of people...whether it be consumers, oil companies, OPEC, or goverments. They all have a role to play in the markets and all are performing their role in a highly inefficient manner.

i seriously doubt that our government officials care to much personally that gas is so high. Most of them have expense accounts that we pay for, so they can fill up their SUV's. Also, I would bet that the mojority of them have money invested in OIL companies.

I know that it isnt just the govenrment's fault, but they are someone to point a finger at. I am not going to blame the 18 year old at the circle K for gas going up.

whtfbplaya
04-12-2006, 10:48 AM
i seriously doubt that our government officials care to much personally that gas is so high. Most of them have expense accounts that we pay for, so they can fill up their SUV's. Also, I would bet that the mojority of them have money invested in OIL companies.

I know that it isnt just the govenrment's fault, but they are someone to point a finger at. I am not going to blame the 18 year old at the circle K for gas going up.

We have a circle K?:confused:

Adidas410s
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM

If nothing else, the government has an interest in keeping their job. Elected officials don't get re-elected if people feel the current state of our country is not well. That and there are some people in Washington that are still concerned with the overall well being of the nation.

whtfbplaya
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM

:D :D :D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
04-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I AM at home, telecommuting. :p :p :p

Buccaneer
04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
$.02 will almost buy 1 fluid ounce of gas!

raider red 2000
04-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
We have a circle K?:confused:

sorry bud....ther new Valero.

the cirlce K was in corpus.