PDA

View Full Version : Wylie tennis

wyliegrad04
04-11-2006, 10:37 AM
congrats to several Wylie tennis players for making it to regionals ... including:
Sadie McClarty/Nichole Williams, girls doubles (defending state champs x2)
Marissa Briggs (defending state champ) and Brooke Dennis, girls singles
Brittany Brazell/Shyam Metha, mixed doubles

a couple of other Wylie players have play backs going on right now, so I'll update after they finish.

Also of interest, Luke Hawk of Clyde won easily in the boys singles

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 10:39 AM
wanna talk about the shame that is the Wylie boys team? As someone who built the tradition I am ashamed to see them take their free ride to a state title and tarnish it like that! :mad: Glad to see those girls doing well. I have known them for a long time and it's kinda funny seeing them all about to graduate! I'm getting way too old :rolleyes:

wyliegrad04
04-11-2006, 10:55 AM
yes i would agree

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
yes i would agree

ahh you got a free ride to your state title too! :p lol

wyliegrad04
brooke and marissa had a great 3 set match ... marissa won. should be interesting to watch them at regionals and state. i think they will play in the finals of each.

wyliegrad04
free ride? haha ... maybe for the first one ... put in some effort for the second one

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 10:57 AM
brooke and marissa had a great 3 set match ... marissa won. should be interesting to watch them at regionals and state. i think they will play in the finals of each.

Is there nobody left in the state in 3A any more? I know there were a few good girls last year in Region 1. Too bad Stephanie Wooten isn't still at Crandall. She demoralized anybody that she played in 3A.

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 10:58 AM
free ride? haha ... maybe for the first one ... put in some effort for the second one

You should have played in 2000 or 2001. Yall would have been maybe the 3rd or 4th best team behind Vernon, Wylie, and Lindale...and go back to 1999 and we can include 2A Mason in that group.

wyliegrad04
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
there really isn't anyone left in 3A unless someone new comes long ... a pretty good girl from Canyon that Marissa beat like 2-4 last year ... Berkley Peoples ... but she might be playing mixed is what the rumor was at state so who knows

Snyder_TigerFan
04-11-2006, 11:03 AM
This looks like a "pat yourself on the back" thread to me.:D

pirate4state
04-11-2006, 11:05 AM
tennis??? :confused: I wanna see the thread on One Act Play. ;) :evillaugh

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
This looks like a "pat yourself on the back" thread to me.:D

That's all the kids these days have to do! Didn't you have a son playing for Snyder at district?

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

That's where it gets intense huh? http://dancehall.patgreen.com/membersonly/lounge/phpbb/images/smiles/075.gif

LH Panther Mom
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Maybe some of the Barbers Hill folks will be on later. ;)

Snyder_TigerFan
04-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Didn't you have a son playing for Snyder at district?

Not I. I believe that would be Mrescape.

Adidas410s
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Not I. I believe that would be Mrescape.

Oh yeah...my bad. I guess he is probably still watching.

pirate4state
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe some of the Barbers Hill folks will be on later. ;) :evillaugh LMAO!!

mrescape43
04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Will was playing on #1 mixed team. They won 1st match over Clyde 6-3, 6-1 and lost afternoon match to to Sweetwater #1
5-7, 7-6 (2), 4-6. The Sweetwater team really took Will out of match and were able to play Megan and that made all the difference.
This morning in 3rd place match they took one for the team so to speak and let Snyder #2 mixed team win so they would have a chance in a playback match.
Snyder #2 defeated Sweetwater in playback match and took #2 spot.

Will gets to go to watch regionals as an alternate.

It is sad that his high school playing days are over.

Snyder will have boys #1 Singles, #1 doubles team and Mixed #2 team going to regionals.

Adidas410s
04-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Will was playing on #1 mixed team. They won 1st match over Clyde 6-3, 6-1 and lost afternoon match to to Sweetwater #1
5-7, 7-6 (2), 6-4. The Sweetwater team really took Will out of match and were able to play Megan and that made all the difference.
This morning in 3rd place match they took one for the team so to speak and let Snyder #2 mixed team win so they would have a chance in a playback match.
Snyder #2 defeated Sweetwater in playback match and took #2 spot.

Will gets to go to watch regionals as an alternate.

It is sad that his high school playing days are over.

Snyder will have boys #1 doubles team and Mixed #2 team going to regionals.

Good to hear that they advanced kids to region. I'm personally not a fan of the "take it for the team" concept in playbacks but then again once you know that you can't advance but your teammates can...you still feel good for them even though it sucks to sit and watch them play at region! This happened to me my freshman year in singles so tell him to keep his head up!

It's good to have some variety from our district instead of Wylie 11 kids Clyde 1 kid as it's been the past few years.

mrescape43
04-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Good to hear that they advanced kids to region. I'm personally not a fan of the "take it for the team" concept in playbacks but then again once you know that you can't advance but your teammates can...you still feel good for them even though it sucks to sit and watch them play at region! This happened to me my freshman year in singles so tell him to keep his head up!

It's good to have some variety from our district instead of Wylie 11 kids Clyde 1 kid as it's been the past few years.

Wylie losing the boys made a difference. Their best player at the tourney was playing on mixed #1 team.

Do you know if Luke lost a game at the tourney? I know his 2 matches yesterday were 0-0.

MHSvarsity2007
04-11-2006, 07:13 PM

are you trashing one act?? :flamingma

Cameron Crazy
04-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Wait is the state tennis tourney over already?

mrescape43
04-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Wait is the state tennis tourney over already?

State Team Tennis is over. Individual tennis regionals are coming up with state tourney to follow.

sportfan53
04-15-2006, 09:44 PM
Wylie tennis is tough there is no doubt. Don't bad mouth the rest of 3A though, there are still alot out there that can play. I'm betting that all their players that advanced don't advance to state. As for the "one act" play comment. Just a hunch - you cant play tennis or act worth squat, right! Food for thought.:D

Cameron Crazy
04-15-2006, 09:46 PM
NICE JOB LADIES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

sportfan53
04-15-2006, 09:53 PM
"take one for the team" is a load of it! That's another word for tanking a match, cheating, I don't care what you call it. Just one more example of why this stupid play-back match needs to go away. You just saw proof that it doesn't work. Coaches who either ask players to do it or allow it are just as guilty and have no integrity. Thanks BS, you know who you are, this is your legacy to Texas tennis.

Adidas410s
04-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by sportfan53
Wylie tennis is tough there is no doubt. Don't bad mouth the rest of 3A though, there are still alot out there that can play. I'm betting that all their players that advanced don't advance to state. As for the "one act" play comment. Just a hunch - you cant play tennis or act worth squat, right! Food for thought.:D

Wylie will get both in girls singles and their #1 girls doubles team to state. The mixed doubles team is a 50/50 shot IMO. Their #2 girls doubles team is probably about the same. Had their top 4 or 5 boys not been "removed" from the team then they would have 1 singles player that is a lock and a doubles team that would be a 50/50 shot...thanks mainly to the weakness of 3A tennis.

Adidas410s
04-15-2006, 09:57 PM
"take one for the team" is a load of it! That's another word for tanking a match, cheating, I don't care what you call it. Just one more example of why this stupid play-back match needs to go away. You just saw proof that it doesn't work. Coaches who either ask players to do it or allow it are just as guilty and have no integrity. Thanks BS, you know who you are, this is your legacy to Texas tennis.
Any school that doesn't normally advance players to region/state will typically try this. In high school I saw it happen often and it cost me a shot at going to state my freshman year when two teammates were playing in the boys singles final. It also screwed RMAC out of a playback for region this past week in Wichita Falls thanks to Vernon's coach. Now I think very highly of Coach Vargas but it's something that I personally do not agree with. Now is it cheating??? Of course it's not!!! There is not a rule against it but if there was (and I would agree with it) then I would be the first to call a coach out on it.

mrescape43
04-15-2006, 10:00 PM

I would say that the playback match did work. The team that got the playback won the match so I would say it worked out just fine as the better team is advancing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

sportfan53
04-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Call it what you will.

Don't have a clue about who or why 1/2 the team was removed. None of my business, I only worry about who is there. And I'm betting there wouldn't have been anyone there who would have beat Hawk! This kid is the real deal and from what I've seen does it with class and sportsmanship that isn't seen enough on the courts today.

sportfan53
04-15-2006, 10:06 PM
If this playback thing works so well, why is it that UIL tennis is the only place it exists? I know where it came from and have hated it forever.

mrescape43
04-15-2006, 10:11 PM
If this playback thing works so well, why is it that UIL tennis is the only place it exists? I know where it came from and have hated it forever.

Sounds like you must have been defeated in a playback match to be so bitter. I like the way it works because if the winner of the 3rd place match has already lost to team or individual that finishes 2nd there is no playback.

Adidas410s
04-15-2006, 10:14 PM
I would say that the playback match did work. The team that got the playback won the match so I would say it worked out just fine as the better team is advancing! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
exactly! Often times you will find that (especially at region) there is somebody who is seeded that shouldn't be or somebody gets a 1 or 2 seed when they should be a 3 or 4. Case in point, my junior year our region should have been seeded like this:

1 - Vernon's #1 kid (defending state champ)
2 - Vernon's #2 kid (just as good as their #1)
3 - Wylie 1 or 2 (me and my teammate were both equal and had been for a few years. I had narrowly lost to Vernon's #2 the only time I had played him but I would say he was better than me.)
4 - Wylie 1 or 2 (see the same reasoning above)

Well here is what happened...a coach from Dublin (who had never advanced anybody to region) has a kid that was a transfer student from Italy and was (according to this coach) a top 10 junior in Italy! The kid had a record that spring of 22-0...but then again he hadn't played ANYBODY except for kids from surrounding schools that they all travelled to the each others tournaments. So anyways, this kid gets seeded #3, my teammate gets seeded #4, and since there is not a #5 seed, I had to play the defending state champ in the quarterfinals instead of the semifinals and played him closer than anybody else did that year. Regardless, the system screwed me over and I didn't even have a chance at a playback.

Sorry to get off topic there...

Adidas410s
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Call it what you will.

Don't have a clue about who or why 1/2 the team was removed. None of my business, I only worry about who is there. And I'm betting there wouldn't have been anyone there who would have beat Hawk! This kid is the real deal and from what I've seen does it with class and sportsmanship that isn't seen enough on the courts today.

The #1 kid from Wylie (Chris Bumann) has been a top-10 player in Texas and top-100 player in the US in his age group since he was 11 or 12. Him and Hawk are definitely equal and it would have been great to watch them compete. Bumann, a sophmore, didn't play for Wylie last year as he has been in an acadmey the past two years.

mrescape43
04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
exactly! Often times you will find that (especially at region) there is somebody who is seeded that shouldn't be or somebody gets a 1 or 2 seed when they should be a 3 or 4. Case in point, my junior year our region should have been seeded like this:

1 - Vernon's #1 kid (defending state champ)
2 - Vernon's #2 kid (just as good as their #1)
3 - Wylie 1 or 2 (me and my teammate were both equal and had been for a few years. I had narrowly lost to Vernon's #2 the only time I had played him but I would say he was better than me.)
4 - Wylie 1 or 2 (see the same reasoning above)

Well here is what happened...a coach from Dublin (who had never advanced anybody to region) has a kid that was a transfer student from Italy and was (according to this coach) a top 10 junior in Italy! The kid had a record that spring of 22-0...but then again he hadn't played ANYBODY except for kids from surrounding schools that they all travelled to the each others tournaments. So anyways, this kid gets seeded #3, my teammate gets seeded #4, and since there is not a #5 seed, I had to play the defending state champ in the quarterfinals instead of the semifinals and played him closer than anybody else did that year. Regardless, the system screwed me over and I didn't even have a chance at a playback.

Sorry to get off topic there...

What year did you graduate?

Adidas410s
04-15-2006, 10:24 PM
What year did you graduate?

May 2001. I was part of BUILDING the Wylie dynasty and now it's a foregone conclusion that they win state because their talent level is roughly what we had but the talent statewide is a joke in 3A.

mrescape43
04-15-2006, 10:35 PM
May 2001. I was part of BUILDING the Wylie dynasty and now it's a foregone conclusion that they win state because their talent level is roughly what we had but the talent statewide is a joke in 3A.

Wylie has a distinct advantage over other 3A schools in better training at much younger age for most of the players.

RMAC
04-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Wylie has a distinct advantage over other 3A schools in better training at much younger age for most of the players.

No disrespect to Coach Gilreath, but I played on the team and I've been around it for about 6 years, but a drunk monkey could coach that team. I mean, every day, same thing; play a match, take a few laps, go home, tournament this weekend, drink lots of water, etc. . . The kids are good, no doubt, but if you take lessons for as many years as most of those kids have and aren't as good as they are, then IDK what you need to do except quit and play something else.

sportfan53
04-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Wrong again John Wayne, play back came in after I was out, yeah I'm old. Believe me the playback would have probably got me to state as I got "hung out to dry" by some "coaches" playing with the draw! Talk about a set up.

The concept itself, yeah sounds great, concepts on paper don't take into consideration the emotional drop of losing a finals vs winning 3rd and getting a 2nd chance. What if the 2nd place gets injured in the finals? It's called luck of the draw man. We've all dealt with it. Playback came in as a way to sneak a player to state who didn't deserve it, like I said, I know who started it and his reasoning. If you played in a playback you're too young to get it most likely.

Sorry, this is just one of my "buttons", another reason why UIL hates dealing with tennis so much.

mrescape43
04-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
No disrespect to Coach Gilreath, but I played on the team and I've been around it for about 6 years, but a drunk monkey could coach that team. I mean, every day, same thing; play a match, take a few laps, go home, tournament this weekend, drink lots of water, etc. . . The kids are good, no doubt, but if you take lessons for as many years as most of those kids have and aren't as good as they are, then IDK what you need to do except quit and play something else.

You statement backs up what I was saying. The Wylie tennis players start getting the professional private lessons at a very young age at a cost that the average parent can't afford. In this regard you can Wylie to Highland Park. Sort of backs up the statement "Money Talks and BS Walks."

Adidas410s
04-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Wrong again John Wayne, play back came in after I was out, yeah I'm old. Believe me the playback would have probably got me to state as I got "hung out to dry" by some "coaches" playing with the draw! Talk about a set up.

The concept itself, yeah sounds great, concepts on paper don't take into consideration the emotional drop of losing a finals vs winning 3rd and getting a 2nd chance. What if the 2nd place gets injured in the finals? It's called luck of the draw man. We've all dealt with it. Playback came in as a way to sneak a player to state who didn't deserve it, like I said, I know who started it and his reasoning. If you played in a playback you're too young to get it most likely.

Sorry, this is just one of my "buttons", another reason why UIL hates dealing with tennis so much.

Two things cool guy...

1. You just said that a playback WOULD have given you a shot at getting to state if NOT for coaches effecting the draw. This is one of the main reasons that the playback was created, as I stated earlier. The reason that it's ONLY used in tennis is because tennis is the only sport where you make a draw for district, then redraw at region, and then redraw at state.

2. If you know so much about who created it and why...then why don't you share instead of acting like you have some sort of top secret information? Don't be so bitter about things...

sportfan53
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
I got out of the glory days decades ago. I only worry about the kids I work with. My kids are more important than my past any day.

As for sharing the information with you, it's not a secret but I've got more ethics than that, it was a long time ago and I'm not fond enough of the person to give them any publicity. As I said on paper it sounds great, thought that myself. I've had a friend win state through it. Also seen the best player in the state not get to Austin because of an pulled muscle in the finals of regionals that he reached easily and then not get to go to state because he had to play another match to defend that spot. Still make sense? As for the draw itself that's why they call it the luck of the draw. People who are too hung up on winning and cant get out of the "glory days" are the one's that seem to believe "whatever it takes" is just fine. I'm out of this one so I wouldn't waste anymore time on me, I'm amazed I ever spent the time with this to start with.

mrescape43
04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
I got out of the glory days decades ago. I only worry about the kids I work with. My kids are more important than my past any day.

As for sharing the information with you, it's not a secret but I've got more ethics than that, it was a long time ago and I'm not fond enough of the person to give them any publicity. As I said on paper it sounds great, thought that myself. I've had a friend win state through it. Also seen the best player in the state not get to Austin because of an pulled muscle in the finals of regionals that he reached easily and then not get to go to state because he had to play another match to defend that spot. Still make sense? As for the draw itself that's why they call it the luck of the draw. People who are too hung up on winning and cant get out of the "glory days" are the one's that seem to believe "whatever it takes" is just fine. I'm out of this one so I wouldn't waste anymore time on me, I'm amazed I ever spent the time with this to start with.
:weeping: :weeping: