PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have a baseball player that...

VWG
04-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Has a higher batting average or on base percentage?

Adidas410s
04-09-2006, 06:20 PM
OBP...just read Moneyball if you need any confirmation

whtfbplaya
04-09-2006, 06:37 PM
OBP

big daddy russ
04-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Has a higher batting average or on base percentage?
OBP.

Did you know that batting averages back in the 1800's were actually a player's OBP? That's how guys like Hugh Duffy, Cap Anson and King Kelly maintained those .400 averages.

VWG
04-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Does a fielders choice count towards OBP?
For example: A hitter hits to the third baseman with a man on first. They get the lead runner at second, but fail to turn two.
Batter gets on by fielders choice. Does this go towards his OBP?

Adidas410s
04-09-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Does a fielders choice count towards OBP?
For example: A hitter hits to the third baseman with a man on first. They get the lead runner at second, but fail to turn two.
Batter gets on by fielders choice. Does this go towards his OBP?

Typically, OBP is defined as including any plate appearance where the hitter does NOT make an out. However, sac flies/sac bunts count towards towards OBP and these are plate appearances where he DOES make an out. I would then guess that a Fielder's Choice (aka sacrafice hit) would also be factored into OBP.

VWG
04-09-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Typically, OBP is defined as including any plate appearance where the hitter does NOT make an out. However, sac flies/sac bunts count towards towards OBP and these are plate appearances where he DOES make an out. I would then guess that a Fielder's Choice (aka sacrafice hit) would also be factored into OBP.

So how does a fielders choice affect batting average?

RMAC
04-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I think it goes up since it goes down as a hit.

mrescape43
04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Same as a fly out or fielding error etc.

Phantom Stang
04-09-2006, 09:25 PM
A fielder's choice is somewhat a double negative for a batter who reaches first base because of one. It is effectively an out on his batting average, as well as no credit given for being on base.
The only way he can get any credit from his "hit", is if he scores.

Adidas410s
04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by VWG

If a hitter hits into a fielder's choice he is credited for an at-bat and is NOT credited with a hit further. For OBP it still counts as an AB and the hitter is NOT credited with an 'on base.' So in both cases, whether its an error or a fielder's choice the players batting average and on base percentage WILL decrease.

injuredinmelee
04-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
A fielder's choice is somewhat a double negative for a batter who reaches first base because of one. It is effectively an out on his batting average, as well as no credit given for being on base.
The only way he can get any credit from his "hit", is if he scores.

I didnt realize that.