PDA

View Full Version : Why is gas going back up again?

wedo
04-06-2006, 02:08 PM
i just passed by a gas station on my way to work and gas was $2.65 this is crazy!!!!!!

JasperDog94
04-06-2006, 02:11 PM
It's summertime. Time to bend over and take it like a man.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 02:12 PM
do we REALLY have to have this discussion every week???

Ranger Mom
04-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
do we REALLY have to have this discussion every week???

LOL!! How long before PhilC gets on here with his standard "FAT CAT" answer??

lepfan
04-06-2006, 02:17 PM
do we REALLY have to have this discussion every week??? Some may need it...if you don't then just don't talk...:D (does lepfan have an attitude today? It must be the storms brewing outside rubbing off on me)

wedo
04-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Some may need it...if you don't then just don't talk...

took the words right out of my mouth!!

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Some may need it...if you don't then just don't talk...:D (does lepfan have an attitude today? It must be the storms brewing outside rubbing off on me)

Here...I'll go find the last thread and bump it to the top...that should suffice!

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL!! How long before PhilC gets on here with his standard "FAT CAT" answer??

it just gets old after a while! Plus...if we talk about it again you might end up calling me Chief and I can't handle it! :rolleyes:

lepfan
04-06-2006, 02:38 PM
it just gets old after a while! Plus...if we talk about it again you might end up calling me Chief and I can't handle it! :rolleyes: Well that pipe smoking chief you have as an avatar does not help ;)

Ranger Mom
04-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Well that pipe smoking chief you have as an avatar does not help ;)

That's true...and I am so easily confused these days anyway!! :confused:

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Well that pipe smoking chief you have as an avatar does not help ;)

I changed to that picture AFTER she called me the chief!

NateDawg39
04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
:confused: is there a hint of aggresion within the crowd today?

Phil C
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
I knew the Fat Cats would raise it up espeically with Easter Holidays coming up and it won't go down because they want that travel money people spend in the summer and our politicans won't do a thing about it even though they will make promises to get elected but they won't deliver.

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I knew the Fat Cats would raise it up espeically with Easter Holidays coming up and it won't go down because they want that travel money people spend in the summer and our politicans won't do a thing about it even though they will make promises to get elected but they won't deliver.

And enlighten us all Phil...what exactly can your politicians do?

Phil C
04-06-2006, 03:11 PM
And enlighten us all Phil...what exactly can your politicians do?

Pleanty! (If they would do it. They will promise but they won't deliver. I have seen it in the past).

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Pleanty! (If they would do it. They will promise but they won't deliver. I have seen it in the past).

QUESTION: What are they promising and not doing? How could they actually change the market?

NOTE: It has to be a legal solution...not just a random, empty promise.

ANSWER: In a capital market structure...they can't. I know this is hard to digest, but this is the beauty of a free market system at work. Is it beautiful on our pocket books??? HECK NO!!! However, is it a better system than what we would get under any other economic system??? Yes it is...I GUARANTEE it! :thumbsup:

Phil C
04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
QUESTION: What are they promising and not doing? How could they actually change the market?

ANSWER: In a capital market structure...they can't. I know this is hard to digest, but this is the beauty of a free market system at work. Is it beautiful on our pocket books??? HECK NO!!! However, is it a better system than what we would get under any other economic system??? Yes it is...I GUARANTEE it! :thumbsup:

That would get too political to discuss over the board and I am not one to like controversy. :)

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
That would get too political to discuss over the board and I am not one to like controversy. :)

lol...come on now Phil. You always make your statements and have yet to back them up. Just one time...DO IT! :p

Aesculus gilmus
04-06-2006, 03:22 PM

What we need to do is get rid of all those remaining impediments to the free market system such as minimum wage laws, Social Security, Medicare, etc. Public schools are not exactly "free market" either. Neither are highways. In a "free market," private toll roads would be the way to go.

PurpleFreddy
04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
It's not about the government's ability to control price. It's about control of the reserves and daily production around the world ... and growing demand. Companies and/or governments can artificially manipulate the price by reducing or increasing how much oil they produce.

But we are our own worst enemy sometimes.

In 2004 China consumed 6.5 million barrels of oil per day. The United States consumed 20.4 million barrels, and demand is rising. That is because of strong growth, but also because American cars -- which guzzle the bulk of oil imports -- are much less efficient than they used to be. This is the only area of the U.S. economy in which we have become less energy-efficient than we were 20 years ago, and we are the only industrialized country to have slid backward in this way. There's one reason: SUVs. They made up 5 percent of the American fleet in 1990. They make up almost 54 percent today.

Also, did you know:

Strategic Petroleum Reserve. This is a U.S. government complex of four sites created in deep underground salt caverns along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast that hold emergency supplies of crude oil. Right now we have about 727 billion barrels in reserve (in case of oil embargo, war, or other crisis). The price per barrel paid for the oil in resevere is about $27.

JasperDog94
04-06-2006, 03:32 PM
ANSWER: In a capital market structure...they can't. I know this is hard to digest, but this is the beauty of a free market system at work. Is it beautiful on our pocket books??? HECK NO!!! However, is it a better system than what we would get under any other economic system??? Yes it is...I GUARANTEE it! :thumbsup: We also have laws about price gouging.

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
We also have laws about price gouging.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/8324/untitled6wg.jpg

Once the demand for gas/oil looks different than this graph...then we can talk about price gouging. However, as it stands now the price is controlled by the supply of oil which, as things stand now, is heavily controlled by OPEC.

Hupernikomen
04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy

Also, did you know:

Strategic Petroleum Reserve. This is a U.S. government complex of four sites created in deep underground salt caverns along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast that hold emergency supplies of crude oil. Right now we have about 727 billion barrels in reserve (in case of oil embargo, war, or other crisis). The price per barrel paid for the oil in resevere is about $27.

I wish it was billion instead of million, but we have 727 million in reserve. If it was billion we could sell 200 billion barrels at a discount of 50 dollars per barrels and pay off the national debt.

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
I wish it was billion instead of million, but we have 727 million in reserve. If it was billion we could sell 200 billion barrels at a discount of 50 dollars per barrels and pay off the national debt.

For another year or so it would cover it...

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/debtiv.gif

Nice...I got this clock so that it will update every time I re-open the thread. I just love technology!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hupernikomen
04-06-2006, 05:10 PM
For another year or so it would cover it...

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/debtiv.gif

Nice...I got this clock so that it will update every time I re-open the thread. I just love technology!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah but it would also save 300 billion per year in interest payments.

STANG RED
04-06-2006, 05:14 PM
OPEC oil output fell 180,000
barrels per day in March as attacks on Nigeria's oil industry
left the members bound by formal supply limits pumping at the
lowest rate this year and below their 28 million bpd ceiling.
Output from the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting
Countries averaged 29.55 million bpd in March, down from 29.73
million bpd in February, according to a Reuters survey of
consultants, shippers, industry and OPEC sources.
OPEC had agreed on March 8 to keep pumping crude at almost
full throttle in a bid to stop oil prices rising. But U.S. crude rose in March
and reached a two-month high of $67.90 this
week, partly because of the supply loss.
"The drop in OPEC output does partly explain the price
strength," said Leo Drollas, deputy executive director of
London-based forecaster the Centre for Global Energy Studies.
"Especially the Nigerian story."
Production from the 10 OPEC members bound by quotas, all
excluding Iraq, fell 150,000 bpd in March to 27.81 million bpd.
The drop took OPEC's production below the group's official
target of 28 million bpd for a third month this year after
revisions to Nigerian output in February and January.
A fall in Nigeria's production led the decline in OPEC
output last month as attacks by militants in the Delta, which
accounts for all of Nigeria's oil wealth, again hit exports.
Iraqi output slipped 30,000 bpd to 1.74 million bpd as bad
weather at the Basra oil terminal in the country's south
temporarily halted exports towards the end of month.
Supplies from Iraq's northern fields were again idled for
the month, shipping agents said. Northern exports have been
mostly cut due to sabotage since the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.
Iraq needs a further eight to 12 months before it can resume
exports from the north, the country's Oil Minister Hashem
al-Hashemi told Reuters last month.
The drop in supply from Nigeria was partly offset by
increases from some other OPEC members, including Saudi Arabia,
the world's biggest oil exporter.
Saudi Arabia boosted output by 50,000 bpd to around 9.45
million bpd last month, sources said.
Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi said on March 22 the kingdom was
pumping full flow at 300,000 bpd from Haradh, a $850 million
project that is the largest single boost to OPEC's production
capacity this year.
Output edged up in the United Arab Emirates for a second
month after a period of maintenance at Murban, its largest
field, trimmed supply in January.

PurpleFreddy
04-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Yes, it was my typo. It is a million, not a billion. If it were a billion they would sell it with the Slurpees at 7-11.

JasperDog94
04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Show all the cute little graphs you want, but the fact remains that the oil companies made the largest profits in history last 3rd quarter. Hmmm. Would that happen to coincide with summer?

mistanice
04-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Fortune 500: Someone New In The Top Spot
There is a new number one in the annual Fortune magazine's 500 list. Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM) has beat out Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT) for the top spot on the Fortune 500 list, which was released this morning. Exxon's top billing was based on rising oil prices that drove up the company's revenues, up 25 percent from the previous year, at 340 (b) billion dollars.

Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart had held the spot for four years, but at least for now has slipped to the number-two spot in the ranking of the nation's largest publicly traded companies. Wal-Mart, is still the world's largest retailer, and not to far behind Exxon with nearly 316 (b) billion dollars worth of revenues.

Nice, exxon is making record profits, while im making a record deficit.

JasperDog94
04-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Exactly!

Phantom Stang
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
lol...come on now Phil. You always make your statements and have yet to back them up. Just one time...DO IT! :p
It's not wise to call out the GodFather!!;)

:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Fortune 500: Someone New In The Top Spot
There is a new number one in the annual Fortune magazine's 500 list. Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM) has beat out Wal-Mart Stores Inc (WMT) for the top spot on the Fortune 500 list, which was released this morning. Exxon's top billing was based on rising oil prices that drove up the company's revenues, up 25 percent from the previous year, at 340 (b) billion dollars.

Bentonville, Arkansas-based Wal-Mart had held the spot for four years, but at least for now has slipped to the number-two spot in the ranking of the nation's largest publicly traded companies. Wal-Mart, is still the world's largest retailer, and not to far behind Exxon with nearly 316 (b) billion dollars worth of revenues.

Nice, exxon is making record profits, while im making a record deficit.

Sorry but this isn't shocking news. Did you know that since the Fortune 500 list was started, only 3 companies have ever been on top.

1. General Motors...the company that has at one time at least provided so many of us with fuel "in"efficient cars

2. Wal-Mart...the place where "the man" sticks it to you the most. Don't even get me started on Wal-Mart.

3. Exxon - everybody's new target to pick on...yet they don't know why

Adidas410s
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Show all the cute little graphs you want, but the fact remains that the oil companies made the largest profits in history last 3rd quarter. Hmmm. Would that happen to coincide with summer?

Want to pull up records of previous summers in the 80's and 90's when they WEREN'T making a profit? You can always look at one particular set of numbers and use those to tell a story...but trying looking AT THE BIG PICTURE (new concept I know!) and you might find something totally different than what you first thought.

injuredinmelee
04-07-2006, 12:20 AM
we will pay it so they will charge it. I was mad about 253 in abilene but I passed alot of 275 on the way to Houston.

clayton7
04-07-2006, 07:34 AM
It's summertime. Time to bend over and take it like a man.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lol...I don't know if im ready for that type of relationship.:eek:

wedo
04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
i think that 2.19 is still really high and demands could be met at that price. but 2.65 is stupid!! thats what i think!!

spiveyrat
04-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Supply and Demand is, indeed, a factor to rising oil prices. But with fewer companies (due to the large company mergers) controlling a large % of the supply, monopoly is also a factor. :nerd:

Phil C
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
There was a time when the Government regulated some of the utility industries because there was not competition and they did it because it was necessary to keep them from charging unfair and rediculous prices. In this case we are at the mercy of the Fat Cats.

Ranger Mom
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
I changed to that picture AFTER she called me the chief!

FOUL!!! You did not!!

That was one of the things that threw me off!!

Adidas410s
04-07-2006, 08:47 AM
There was a time when the Government regulated some of the utility industries because there was not competition and they did it because it was necessary to keep them from charging unfair and rediculous prices. In this case we are at the mercy of the Fat Cats.

and your "FAT CATS" aren't Exxon, Chevron, etc...they are a 4-letter word.

http://www.opec.org/headers/home/images/logo.gif

So as much as you would LOVE to pin this on American companies...you really can't!

Also, comparing electricity to oil is a very apples/oranges comparison. This is because electricity can be created/produced/generated anywhere in the country if one has the necessary equipment/resources. With oil however, there are various parts of the world that are more "mineral rich" than others. If we could go into the plains states and get enough oil to last our country until the next millenium...then we would! However, we are unable to do so because oil is not available for production everywhere and thus we must purchase it from those who make it available to us.

I'm still hoping that you can see beyond the borders of the U.S. and realize that the problem (in terms of supply, price, and production) ISN'T in America. (Our dependency and demand is...but we'll deal with that later) Now am I saying that we can not develop a long-term solution that will change this situation in the future? Of course I'm not! However, we must learn to accept the things we cannot change now while seeking to better them in the future.

I think it's time for the cliche statement (and I hate using these)...Don't be part of the problem (i.e. - whining/griping about the current situation) but instead be part of the solution (i.e. - buy more fuel efficient cars...drive at lower speeds...carpool...take shorter trips). Be "doing your part" to be a part of the solution, the short run effects this will have on our economy will further push our government and energy sectors to seek our more cost-effective and efficient means of transportation.

Don't gripe about it...think about it! :thumbsup:

Adidas410s
04-07-2006, 08:52 AM
FOUL!!! You did not!!

That was one of the things that threw me off!!

I thought I had a different indian picture up there before this one but changed to this one after your comment.

At least you can't go back and check my previous avatars to find out the truth! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Ranger Mom
04-07-2006, 09:05 AM

At least you can't go back and check my previous avatars to find out the truth! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Don't have to, I KNOW the truth!! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.trahar/Smileys/splitform_gif.gif http://forums.govteen.com/images/smilies/bleh.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.trahar/Smileys/splitform_gif.gif

Adidas410s
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't have to, I KNOW the truth!! http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.trahar/Smileys/splitform_gif.gif http://forums.govteen.com/images/smilies/bleh.gif http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.trahar/Smileys/splitform_gif.gif

well then prove it...:eek:

Ranger Mom
04-07-2006, 09:22 AM
well then prove it...:eek:

Here is the thread....I think!!! (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42626&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

Adidas410s
04-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Here is the thread....I think!!! (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42626&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

ahh...but it doesn't prove that it was THIS chief avatar!! AH HA!!! Cuz I know I had a different one before this one for a day or two. It was the Cleveland Indians mascot Chief Wahoo

http://liq-xtal.cwru.edu/wahoo3.jpg

Ranger Mom
04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
ahh...but it doesn't prove that it was THIS chief avatar!! AH HA!!! Cuz I know I had a different one before this one for a day or two. It was the Cleveland Indians mascot Chief Wahoo

http://liq-xtal.cwru.edu/wahoo3.jpg
The one you have now is the only avatar I remember!!

Adidas410s
04-07-2006, 09:34 AM
The one you have now is the only avatar I remember!!

because I only had the other one for like a day. Unlike some I don't change out my stuff on an HOURLY basis! :thumbsup:

Phil C
04-07-2006, 10:14 AM
It is all the Fat Cat's fault.

JasperDog94
04-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Want to pull up records of previous summers in the 80's and 90's when they WEREN'T making a profit? You can always look at one particular set of numbers and use those to tell a story...but trying looking AT THE BIG PICTURE (new concept I know!) and you might find something totally different than what you first thought. Let's see....the highest gas prices were when....let me think.....oh yeah!!! LAST THIRD QUARTER!!!! That's why I used those numbers.

JasperDog94
04-07-2006, 11:34 PM
A large part of the problem is also the enviornmentalist wackos. They won't let us drill of the coast of Florida, California, or in the arctic.

Also the oil companies haven't built a new refinery in over 20 years. Now tell me that makes any sense.

Emerson1
04-08-2006, 10:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060407/ap_on_bi_ge/barnett_shale_bizspotlight