PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Woman Beaten At Baby Shower

ILS1
04-05-2006, 05:28 PM
SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- An argument at a baby shower escalated into a brawl in which one man was shot and the pregnant guest of honor was beaten with a stick, police said.

Three people were arrested after the fight, described by police as a "baby shower gone bad."

Authorities said the shooting victim, Aristotle Garcia, got into a fight with a man who is dating his ex-girlfriend. The argument, over whether the woman let their 5-year-old daughter drink beer, escalated and drew in two other people -- Jazz Rivas and Juan Velazquez, said Police Lt. Cheryl C. Claprood.

When the baby shower's hostess tried to intervene, Rivas began hitting some of the guests, including the 22-year-old mother-to-be, with a large stick, she said.

Velazquez fired a gun in the air, then fired it into the crowd, hitting Garcia in the stomach, according to police. Garcia, 26, was in stable condition at Baystate Medical Center. The mother-to-be, who was seven months pregnant, was treated after the incident Saturday and released.

Velazquez, 19, was arrested Tuesday and charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday and was ordered held on $100,000 bail.

The man Garcia was initially fighting with, Antonio Santiago, 25, pleaded not guilty to similar charges Tuesday and was ordered held on $50,000 bail.

Rivas, 22, pleaded not guilty to three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and one count of assault and battery on a pregnant female. His bail was set at $10,000.

Story Link (www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/05/baby.shower.ap/index.html)

bullfrog_alumni_02
04-05-2006, 10:25 PM
morbid.

3ABirdMan
04-06-2006, 07:31 AM
THAT'S what happens when men go to baby showers!:eek:

KingRob
04-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Just when you think you've heard it all!!:eek:

Bearkat
04-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by ILS1

The argument, over whether the woman let their 5-year-old daughter drink beer, escalated and drew in two other people --

Story Link (www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/05/baby.shower.ap/index.html) [/B]

They start young in Mass.

Bullaholic
04-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Everytime I read a story like this I get mad. Where in the world has the the pride and honor of holding the title "man" gone with some of our young men? Beating pregnant women is right up there with molesting children. I hope some of our older males will step up and take control of some of these young men and provide them with positive role modeling for becoming a man in our society and do what is necessary to see that violent young men such as this learn the error of their ways. We must "walk our talk" and see that our young men follow.

Bandera YaYa
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Simply amazing........a 19 yr old brings a gun to a baby shower...oh, I'd love to hear his family's rationale for that one! We are living in a world where kids are not being told what's right and what's wrong and instead they are imitating what they see their parents doing.....I see these crimes every nite on the local news. Then at the court appearances for these criminals, parents are shown pleading that their kid "is good, blah blah blah..".....yeah right, good in what way? A good aim, a good robber, a good car jacker, a good molester, a good murderer, a good drop out.....just what????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

3ABirdMan
04-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Simply amazing........a 19 yr old brings a gun to a baby shower...oh, I'd love to hear his family's rationale for that one! We are living in a world where kids are not being told what's right and what's wrong and instead they are imitating what they see their parents doing.....I see these crimes every nite on the local news. Then at the court appearances for these criminals, parents are shown pleading that their kid "is good, blah blah blah..".....yeah right, good in what way? A good aim, a good robber, a good car jacker, a good molester, a good murderer, a good drop out.....just what????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hey, YaYa.....

Can you post this same reply under the emenem thread?

Bandera YaYa
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
Hey, YaYa.....

Can you post this same reply under the emenem thread? I don't approve of his so called music.....promotes too much violence and woman degrading. But, I do have to say I admire his dedication to his young daughter....how the two go hand in hand, I dunno. As parents, all we can do is take care of our own, so in that respect, he is trying to be a good parent. Plus, he's young....he has everyone around him telling him how great he is, how much money he can make, etc., so hopefully, one day he will realize he has some degree of responsibility concerning what he sings about.