PDA

View Full Version : Question for the fantasy baseballers out there...

big daddy russ
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Who would you pick up? I need power, these are my top choices until Delmon Young gets called up.

-------------------------------------------------
Frank Thomas: Can still knock the ball out of the park. Even at his age, a .300/40/100 season isn't out of the question.

Biggest negative: injury factor, and he's old. Will he be live long enough to hit all those homers? Will he go most of a season without a major injury? Will he take his Geritol? If I could get 130 games out of him, I'd be happy.

Biggest positive: he's an Auburn alum.

Phil Nevin: Was a forgotten man during his last few years in San Diego's Petco Caverns. Injuries have robbed him of at bats the last four years, and the lone "healthy" season he's had he could "only" manage 26 homers and 105 RBI, and that was in one of the most infamous pitcher's parks in the majors.

Biggest knocks: Another injury concern. Can he put it together for a full year or has the game passed the 36-year old by?

Biggest positive: Going from Petco to Arlington. There's no question that Nevin can hit for the same numbers as Thomas, and now he's playing in a dream of a hitter's park. Oh, and I forgot to mention he's hitting in a prime spot... fourth in the order with Hank Blalock behind him for protection.

Aaron Boone: He was one of the cornerstones of my fantasy team back in '03. Scored 92 runs, knocked in another 96, belted 24 dingers and stole 23 bases. Then he got hurt and has sucked ever since.

That is, until now.

Three years after he went down, Boone's finally healthy again and has started the season with a bang. Could he regain the form he had for a couple of years... you know, the one where he averaged about .275 with 90 R, 25 HR, 100 RBI and 25 SB?

Biggest knock: How much speed has he lost in those three years? Without those 25 SB is he really worth picking up and starting over Adrian Beltre?

Biggest positive: He was just rounding into form and hitting his stride before that injury. Boone was a late bloomer that had just come into his own and still hadn't hit his peak. Even though he's 32, he is a late bloomer.

Other: And please include a name.

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Also remember that Thomas is playing in Oakland which is NOT a hitters ballpark.

big daddy russ
04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Also remember that Thomas is playing in Oakland which is NOT a hitters ballpark.
I forgot about that.

Who did you vote for and why?

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I forgot about that.

Who did you vote for and why?

I voted Nevin.

Reasons
- He is in Texas not San Diego. Every hitter gets better in the ballpark.
- Thomas has been constantly hurt the past few years and is now playing in Oakland for a team that may be very good but won't put up a lot of runs. Assuming he stays healthy, he won't have the same RBI opportunities as Nevin (assuming Nevin stays at #4) because of the guys in front of him.
- Aaron F***'n Boone...yeah I'm a Red Sox fan! :p I'm a Rangers fan as well...this is what happens when the dad's family is from North and West Texas and all of my mom's is outside of Boston and throughout New England.
- I don't know the other comparable players that are available in your league so it's hard to speculate on any of them.

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Nevin had one hell of a spring and look's like it may have carried over to the regular season one game 5 rbi's and a homerun .

big daddy russ
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Here's my league.

link (http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/174450)

I know Mike Jacobs, Jeromy Burnitz, Austin Kearns, Reggie Sanders, and Matt Murton are still available. I also know that Brian Anderson is still there... I was thinking about him on the same lines as the others, but Guillen yanked him the other day against a right-handed pitcher. Is that going to happen everytime the Sox go up against a righty?

Keith7
04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
nevin had a homer and 5 rbi's lastnight.. i think he's tryin to answer this debate for u

Whsdogs
04-05-2006, 08:00 PM
phil nevin buddy...hes turning it up a notch man