PDA

View Full Version : Texas picks up 5 Star QB commit from Fla.

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
John Brantley just committed to UT and say's he will redshirt his first year .

JasperDog94
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
What position?

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Quarterback

mrescape43
04-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Where is he from?

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Where is he from?

Florida! :p

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
He is from Oscala, Florida ---The Florida recruiting sites cant believe he left the state . Nice pick up for the Horn's :clap:

I listened to the radio broadcast a few minutes ago . He seem's to have a good head on his shoulders and so does his family .His visit to Austin a couple a weeks ago blew him away and he said he knew right then where he was going to play football .He also stated he will redshirt his freshman year at UT.

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Here is what Scouts Inc. has up on ESPN's site. It's a month old but notice that it doesn't even list Texas a school that he is considering...

Scouts Grade: 80
Considering: 1-Florida , 2-Georgia , 3-Georgia Tech , 4-North Carolina State , 5-Oklahoma
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluation: Brantley is a very polished and poised passer. He is a guy with nice size, he has a very good arm and he is a smart guy that plays with a lot of confidence. He is what you would call a pocket passer that is comfortable when he has to throw on the run. He is a very good play action passer and deep ball thrower. Although he doesn't possess elite arm strength, his timing and touch downfield set him apart. He will step up and make all the throws that you need to and he is probably just as effective in the short to intermediate passing game as he is on deep balls. He has good overall athletic ability and good feet, he is more of a guy that likes to move around a little bit in the pocket if he has to and when he gets out of the pocket, he is adept at making throws on the run to his right and left. He at times will show inconsitent mechanics. He tends to "cup" the ball and will wind up a little when he feels he needs to get some heat on it, but then on other throws, he shows a quick, precise release and can really get rid of the ball quickly. One of the things he does best is keep his eyes downfield in the face of the rush. His pocket presence, poise and ability to anticipate is excellent. He goes through progressions and rarely forces throws he shouldn't. He will take a hit, he is not afraid to stay in the pocket and make all of his throws, and as mentioned above he is a good ball handler that is adept at play fakes and he is fundamentally sound in terms of his drop, set and release.

Notes: No notes available at this time.

mrescape43
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
:rolleyes: I guess I should pay more attention to what I am reading! :D

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
oh and he is listed at 6'3" and 183 lbs

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
He is from Oscala, Florida ---The Florida recruiting sites cant believe he left the state . Nice pick up for the Horn's :clap:

This after picking up a commitment from Chiles who is also a rivals 100 player but as an athlete . But was told by UT coach Mack Brown he could have a shot at the QB position per rivals.com .

turbostud
04-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Home > Bevo Beat > Archives > 2006 > April > 05 > Entry

Top QB prospect commits to Texas
By Staff | Wednesday, April 5, 2006, 03:09 PM

John Brantley, considered the best quarterback recruit in Florida and one of the best in the nation, committed to Texas on Wednesday afternoon.

“I won’t let you down, coach,” Brantley promised Longhorn coach Mack Brown during his news conference at Trinity Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla.

His commitment is nonbinding at this point. Brantley, who is finishing up his junior year of high school, will sign a national letter of intent next February as part of the class of 2007.

Brantley’s father said that Longhorn coaches had promised that Brantley will be redshirted his freshman season. That was an appealing option for Brantley’s growth and improvement, the father said.

Phil C
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Horay! Welcome to Austin Mr. Blantley! Good news indeed! Hook 'em!

JasperDog94
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Man, times sure have changed. Either that or I just don't remember a bunch of players commiting before they even start their senior year.

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Brantley’s father said that Longhorn coaches had promised that Brantley will be redshirted his freshman season. That was an appealing option for Brantley’s growth and improvement, the father said.

Wow...you sure don't hear that out of a lot of kids these days...

Cameron Crazy
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
will he take mccoy/Snead qb spot next year?

Emerson1
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Not likely, McCoy will have had 2 years of experience and Snead with 1 1/2. Unless he can come in and just blow both of them away during spring practices assuming he graduates early.

Gobbler Fan
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
One of the reason's he came to Texas is that they told him he could redshirt his freshman year.So it will be a couple of years before he even see's the field at Texas .The kicker is that his family had Florida Gator ties his Uncle was a stud LB for them and his dad also played for the Gator's .<all this is from orangebloods.com

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
One of the reason's he came to Texas is that they told him he could redshirt his freshman year .So it will be a couple of years before he even see's the field at Texas .The kicker is that his family had Florida Gator ties his Uncle was a stud LB for them and his dad also played for the Gator's .

Those National Championships can sure help with "out of territory" recruiting! ;) Mack Brown has gone from being a master recruiter to being a master recruiter with the best possible ammunition on his ring finger...on his right hand that is! ;)

turbostud
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
He is only a junior this year so he will still have his senior year and his redshirt year before he plays. He can also change his mind.

Rivals Link (http://texas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=43257)

BTEXDAD
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
this all sounds good for the horns, but I'll withhold judgement till the Chief weighs in.

Adidas410s
04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
this all sounds good for the horns, but I'll withhold judgement till the Chief weighs in.

yeah cuz then it will sound like...well yeah! :p

big daddy russ
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
You're right, btex. We need an official source before we should trust this story.