PDA

View Full Version : Do you make them finish the season.....

softball_mom
04-05-2006, 07:37 AM
if their unhappy. I believe if you start you finish. But is it the best for everyone???

neck_06
04-05-2006, 07:39 AM
finish, i know the situation........finish, then decide on next year.

Old Dog
04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
FINISH or quitting becomes a habit!

clayton7
04-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Dont quit...Learning to quit now could result in quitting later in life when it really counts.

clayton7
04-05-2006, 08:27 AM
You beat me to it Old Dog!

smustangs
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
finish you owe it to the rest of the players on your team to finish

3ABirdMan
04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Build perserverance and character.

You don't want them to quit:
- HS
- College
- marriage
- parenting
- working

None of them are easy, for whatever reason. I have no clue as to the details, but learning to stick by your decisions, even when it sucks, helps you make better decisions next time. And if this is out of her control, well, life is kinda like that sometimes, for ME as well as HER as well as YOU.

(my 2 cents)

Phil C
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by softball_mom
if their unhappy. I believe if you start you finish. But is it the best for everyone???

Is this High School or Little League?

softball_mom
04-05-2006, 09:07 AM
High School

Phil C
04-05-2006, 09:26 AM
I was only curious but I agree with what has been said about quiting. Not only to themselves but to the teams that have exercised good faith by having you on their schedule.

LH Panther Mom
04-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Unless there are extenuating circumstances, it's generally best for anyone to finish what they started.

olddawggreen
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, make them finish. There will be many times in their life that they would rather not have to continue. Once you start quiting its hard to stop.:)

Bullaholic
04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
SBMom.....I'm with everybody else---better to not let a kid quit, if you are able to make them see the "light" in a good way. You might try renting or buying a movie like "The Power of One" to let your daughter see the difference a person can make if they don't give up.

injuredinmelee
04-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
FINISH or quitting becomes a habit!

Short, sweet, and cuts to the bone. Very good point!!!

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Unless there are extenuating circumstances, it's generally best for anyone to finish what they started.

I would argue especially when there are extenuating circumstances. That's all life really is - extenuating circumstances. People will broaden their definition of "extenuating" if given the loophole.

Bullaholic
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I would argue especially when there are extenuating circumstances. That's all life really is - extenuating circumstances. People will broaden their definition of "extenuating" if given the loophole.

SWMustang....I agree with your strict dedication to task policy, but I think LHPMom is referring to circumstances which are beyond the control of a child which are so serious that the child has no chance to perform normally on the team. If a child is out there playing only for their parents' sake, and not of their own volition, and is miserable, it is a bad situation which can have bad consequences for everybody involved. The "root" of the child's problem must be found and corrected before any lasting solution will be found.

Gobbla2001
04-05-2006, 12:44 PM

whoa... proffesor SWM is in this house...

keep it simple

Gobbla2001
04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
whoa... proffesor SWM is in this house...

keep it simple

And don't make her do anything... encourage her to do the right thing and not quit... gotta make decisions on their own sometime...

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
SWMustang....I agree with your strict dedication to task policy, but I think LHPMom is referring to circumstances which are beyond the control of a child which are so serious that the child has no chance to perform normally on the team. If a child is out there playing only for their parents' sake, and not of their own volition, and is miserable, it is a bad situation which can have bad consequences for everybody involved. The "root" of the child's problem must be found and corrected before any lasting solution will be found.

Let me clarify - If the kid made a decision to participate in something - on their own free will - they should stick it out. I've never pushed my son to participate in anything. All I've ever asked of him is to live up to his committments that he made to other people.

Certainly parents living vicariously through their children is a problem in society, but a bigger problem are young adults who want to bail out every time the going gets tough.

Bullaholic
04-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Let me clarify - If the kid made a decision to participate in something - on their own free will - they should stick it out. I've never pushed my son to participate in anything. All I've ever asked of him is to live up to his committments that he made to other people.

Certainly parents living vicariously through their children is a problem in society, but a bigger problem are young adults who want to bail out every time the going gets tough.

You sound like a good parent with a sense of reason, SWMustang. Unfortunately, I've seen some of those parents over the years that expect their kids to live to up to a much harder and perhaps more unrealistic "standard" than the other kids. And I have seen parents go overboard the other way and think their kids were above the rules and should be given anything they want and be handled with "kid" gloves or there was hell to pay. Anybody in any town who has been around kids and athletics for a while has seen both of these situations.

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You sound like a good parent with a sense of reason, SWMustang. Unfortunately, I've seen some of those parents over the years that expect their kids to live to up to a much harder and perhaps more unrealistic "standard" than the other kids. And I have seen parents go overboard the other way and think their kids were above the rules and should be given anything they want and be handled with "kid" gloves or there was hell to pay. Anybody in any town who has been around kids and athletics for a while has seen both of these situations.

I've seen those parents too and I find it revolting.

neck_94
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
23-1 why quit?

DU_stud04
04-05-2006, 02:40 PM
i quit highschool football, and it has haunted me ever since, if i regret anything in my life, that would be it, quiting is never the answer

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i quit highschool football, and it has haunted me ever since, if i regret anything in my life, that would be it, quiting is never the answer

I'll bet most people on this board have quit something that they later regretted.

DaHop72
04-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I'll bet most people on this board have quit something that they later regretted. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

softball_mom
04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by neck_94
23-1 why quit?
She has decided to finish the season. I'm proud of the decision she made. It doesnt surprise me....thats the type of kid she is. 23-1 record has nothing to do with it......winning isnt everything!!!!

BullFrog Dad
04-06-2006, 09:18 AM
I'll bet most people on this board have quit something that they later regretted. Drinking.

Bullaholic
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
She has decided to finish the season. I'm proud of the decision she made. It doesnt surprise me....thats the type of kid she is. 23-1 record has nothing to do with it......winning isnt everything!!!!

Softall_mom....I'm really glad your daughter decided to finish the season---she'll look back one day and say, "Wow-I almost quit, but I didn't---man am I glad." I wish her and her team the very best , and pat her on the head and tell her I think she is a pretty good kid for hanging in there during the "rough" times. The sun always comes out and "shines" after every storm.

Johnnypaycheck
04-06-2006, 09:26 AM
winning isn't everything?

it's a heck of a lot more fun to win than to lose...

sports is so good for kids...teamwork, getting a long with others, learning to respect elders, etc...

its sad that kids quit or want to quit at the first sign of things not going right for them...

and i am glad she is sticking with it...for herself and for her coaches and teammates...

neck_94
04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
23-1 record has nothing to do with it......winning isnt everything!!!!

my point was...you just dont hear of too many kids that want to quit a great team.

and the winning thing.... well....

LH Panther Mom
04-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Very true. I guess I should've specified that (TO ME) the extenuating circumstances would be of the extreme or unusual nature. (One that popped into my mind was the hazing incident at Donna....)

Softball mom, much kudos to your daughter for staying with it. :)

softball_mom
04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck

its sad that kids quit or want to quit at the first sign of things not going right for them...

It had nothing to do with things not going her way!!! She is a TEAM player!!! And a very big part of the team!! Its just sad people care more about the game than others feelings!!!!!

CenTexSports
04-06-2006, 10:15 AM
When my youngest was a senior playing football, the team was going through a rebuilding program. Several younger players were ahead of him even though they were not any better. He wanted to quit but I asked him to stay since he started. He stayed and even though he did not get to play much, I think he is glad he stuck it out.

neck_94
04-06-2006, 10:16 AM
a very big part of the team!!
understatement...

HUGE part of the team

Phil C
04-06-2006, 10:48 AM
It is hard to believe that anyone would want to quit a team at 23 - 1 but I guess it has happened.

Txbroadcaster
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I know nothing of this situation, but for all those saying not to quit and all that. Well it sounds good, and I agree a kid should not quit something the first sign things are not going there way, BUT...

If what ever activty they are doing is effecting other aspects of there life to the point where they are not doing ANYTHING well, then they need to decide what is best for them OVERALL. To me that is better than learning a lesson on sticking it out IMO. A lesson can be great, but if the lesson hurts that person overall, then IMO it is a hollow lesson.

pancho villa
04-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Don't worry about others. Take care of your busness and everything will be fine. And don't listen to other parents. Softball parents are the worst I have ever heard.

AP Panther Fan
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
It had nothing to do with things not going her way!!! She is a TEAM player!!! And a very big part of the team!! Its just sad people care more about the game than others feelings!!!!!

Congratulations to your daughter. Doing what's best (and understanding why) is probably far more difficult for her than opting out. :)