PDA

View Full Version : Carter: Marijuana had role in release

kepdawg
04-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Carter: Marijuana had role in release

06:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 4, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Quincy Carter, the last quarterback to lead the Cowboys to the playoffs, on Tuesday said that marijuana use played a role in his abrupt release from the team before the 2004 season.

Carter spoke to The News after signing a one-year deal with an option to join Montreal of the Canadian Football League.

“I made a mistake in the past. That mistake was for marijuana. I’m excited about getting a fresh start with Montreal and I want to put the things in the past behind me,” Carter said. “When you walk around and people think you’re on cocaine or bipolar, it hurts. None of that was the case.

“I had some issues, but I’ve worked on them and I’m happy about it.”

After his release from the Cowboys, the NFL Players Association filed a grievance on Carter’s behalf. That grievance is still unresolved.

Carter is eager for a fresh start.

“This is the best way for me to get my career started and show how serious I am about playing the game I love. For me, I have to play football. It’s been my life and my passion,” Carter said. “I’m happy right now. I’m proud of picking myself up, and now it’s time for me to go on with my career and show the NFL that I’m a playoff-caliber quarterback and a starter in the NFL.

“For now, my career has taken me in other directions. At the end of the season, if anyone wants me, I’m free to go. If not, I’ll explore all of my options.”

Carter said he will spend the rest of the CFL’s off-season in Canada preparing for the upcoming season, which begins at the end of May.

Eugene Parker, Carter’s agent, said he’s glad Montreal general manager Jim Popp gave Carter an opportunity to prove he can be a productive quarterback.

“It’s a situation that Quincy definitely wanted to take advantage of because they have one of the top programs in the league,” Parker said. “Jim has done his homework. He knows about Quincy.”

Carter, a second-round pick by the Cowboys in 2001, had the best season of his career in 2003, passing for 3,302 yards with 17 touchdowns and 21 interceptions as Dallas advanced to the playoffs for the first time since 1999. It was coach Bill Parcells’ first season.

After his release from the Cowboys, he signed with the New York Jets and played in seven games. In his NFL career, Carter has completed 56.5 percent of his passes for 6,337 yards with 32 touchdowns and 37 interceptions.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
carter, as in quincy is spelled.......... L-O-S-E-R

Cameron Crazy
04-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Or P-O-T-H-E-A-D

Z motion 10 out on 2
04-04-2006, 11:56 PM
The guy could not throw a spiral to save his life. Sad that he was on drugs but that had nothing to do with inability to throw the ball.

If he was in the mafia his name would be Quincy "Ducks" Carter.

piratebg
04-05-2006, 02:19 AM
You guys think they need a new QB in Amsterdam?