PDA

View Full Version : McNair kicked off Titans property

turbostud
04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Could be a sign of things to come.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans told quarterback Steve McNair they don't want the NFL's 2003 co-MVP working out in their building, a move that signals his 11-year tenure with the team that drafted him may be nearing an end.

McNair was told to go home Monday when he showed up at the team's headquarters for the start of the third week in the Titans' offseason conditioning program. The team's general counsel had called the quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, earlier Monday and informed him McNair would be told to leave.

The Titans did not immediately have any comment Tuesday, and general manager Floyd Reese and coach Jeff Fisher were in Los Angeles following a private workout of Matt Leinart, the former Heisman Trophy winner and Southern California quarterback.

Cook did not immediately return telephone messages left by The Associated Press on Tuesday.

But he said Monday night that he's not sure McNair would want to go back now that he's been thrown out.

"A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life," Cook told The Tennessean newspaper.

"They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team."

McNair is due $9 million in salary in 2006, currently his final season with the Titans. But his salary cap number is $23.46 million, and the Titans may not want to risk the liability if McNair is hurt on their property.

The Titans hold the No. 3 pick overall in the draft, the same spot in which they took McNair in 1995. They have been busy studying top prospects Leinart, Vince Young of Texas and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt in recent weeks.

STANG RED
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Looks like their taking a page out of Jerry Jones book of how to treat players they are finished with.:thinking:

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Dude. The locks on the doors have been changed. You've been kick out.:doh:

Highschoolfan78
04-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Thats ridiculous.. He deserves more respect than that. Its ok though.. the Titans won't have it all turned around by next season. He probably shouldn't want to play another losing year with them.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Looks like their taking a page out of Jerry Jones book of how to treat players they are finished with.:thinking: What are you talking about?

STANG RED
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What are you talking about?

If you havent seen JJ treat players/coaches with the same kind of disrespect, then you just havent been paying attention.

STANG RED
04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Thats ridiculous.. He deserves more respect than that. Its ok though.. the Titans won't have it all turned around by next season. He probably shouldn't want to play another losing year with them.

Thats true, but they should have at least shown him some respect.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
If you havent seen JJ treat players/coaches with the same kind of disrespect, then you just havent been paying attention. You said players and I'm just trying to figure out who he's disrespected. Trust me, I'm no Jerry Jones fan. I just don't know who you're talking about.

Phil C
04-04-2006, 01:20 PM
I sure hope the Titans don't get Vince Young. I wish Houston would draft him but I would rather he go to the Eagles or Redskins than to the Titans. :eek:

Adidas410s
04-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I sure hope the Titans don't get Vince Young. I wish Houston would draft him but I would rather he go to the Eagles or Redskins than to the Titans. :eek:

come on now...you don't want him in the NFC East. He might get killed by the defenses!!! :p

Adidas410s
04-04-2006, 01:23 PM
They were saying ON Mike & Mike this morning that the reason they don't want him working out on the property is because of the insurance liability that it presents. Evidently if he is hurt on Titans property, they have to pay out his contract AS IS at the time of the injury. They are still trying to restructure his deal and until then don't want to take on the additional risk.

DaHop72
04-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
They were saying Mike & Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STANG RED
04-04-2006, 01:32 PM
They were saying Mike & Mike this morning that the reason they don't want him working out on the property is because of the insurance liability that it presents. Evidently if he is hurt on Titans property, they have to pay out his contract AS IS at the time of the injury. They are still trying to restructure his deal and until then don't want to take on the additional risk.

That may well be true, but it looks like to me, they could have asked him to sign a weiver that would have protected them in such a case. At least if they had done that, they would have put the ball back in his court to decide whether he wanted to do that or not.

Adidas410s
04-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

well at least I didn't spell anything wrong!!! Is that revision easier for you to read?

DaHop72
04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
well at least I didn't spell anything wrong!!! Is that revision easier for you to read? It had nothing to do with spelling, I was just proud that you were listening to Mike&Mike.:thumbsup:

DaHop72
04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
well at least I didn't spell anything wrong!!! Is that revision easier for you to read? That revision made you look angry, and anger is not becoming for a great guy like you.

Adidas410s
04-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
That revision made you look angry, and anger is not becoming for a great guy like you.

lol...well thanks Hops! Yeah when I am out of the house by 7AM then Mike & Mike is my only option. I go between that and some local drive shows in Dallas.

turbostud
04-04-2006, 03:41 PM
They were saying ON Mike & Mike this morning that the reason they don't want him working out on the property is because of the insurance liability that it presents. Evidently if he is hurt on Titans property, they have to pay out his contract AS IS at the time of the injury. They are still trying to restructure his deal and until then don't want to take on the additional risk.

http://www.espn.go.com/media/radio/2005/1014/photo/mikeleprechaun03_420.jpg