PDA

View Full Version : Canton cancels season opener against Gilmer

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 11:49 AM
CANTON-GILMER GAME, OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Canton athletic director and head football coach Lance Angel called me this morning to confirm the previously scheduled August 31st Canton-Gilmer game has been cancelled.

Canton Superintendent Dr. Jerome Stewart sent Gilmer I.S.D. an official letter of release from the game on Monday afternoon.

Canton AD and head football coach Lance Angel told me, "It's in the best interest of Canton I.S.D. for us to move into a different direction with our schedule".

Canton defeated Gilmer in the second-round of the Class 3-A Division II state playoffs a year ago, 61-58. It was the third-highest combined total of points in a Texas high school football playoff game.

One week ago today, Canton's two-time all-state quarterback, G.J. Kinne enrolled at Gilmer High School, a day after withdrawing from Canton High School.

Kinne, a junior, was at Southern Cal's "Junior Day" over the weekend, and is among the most highly-recruited athletes in Texas.

Gilmer AD and head football coach Jeff Traylor reacted to the cancellation by saying, "Obviously, we're extremely disappointed because our kids we're looking forward to a rematch. Canton has their reasons for doing what's best for their school district, and now I'll try and find another game, although it's very late in the process to get that done."

The Gilmer-Canton game was supposed to be the opening game of the 3rd-Annual East Texas Kickoff Classic at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler.

There has been speculation Canton will replace Gilmer on their schedule with Tyler T.K. Gorman during the Brook Hill Kickoff Classic in late-August.

Smoaky

DaHop72
04-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie

Canton athletic director and head football coach Lance Angel called me this morning to confirm the previously scheduled August 31st Canton-Gilmer game has been cancelled.

Canton Superintendent Dr. Jerome Stewart sent Gilmer I.S.D. an official letter of release from the game on Monday afternoon.

Canton AD and head football coach Lance Angel told me, "It's in the best interest of Canton I.S.D. for us to move into a different direction with our schedule".

Canton defeated Gilmer in the second-round of the Class 3-A Division II state playoffs a year ago, 61-58. It was the third-highest combined total of points in a Texas high school football playoff game.

One week ago today, Canton's two-time all-state quarterback, G.J. Kinne enrolled at Gilmer High School, a day after withdrawing from Canton High School.

Kinne, a junior, was at Southern Cal's "Junior Day" over the weekend, and is among the most highly-recruited athletes in Texas.

Gilmer AD and head football coach Jeff Traylor reacted to the cancellation by saying, "Obviously, we're extremely disappointed because our kids we're looking forward to a rematch. Canton has their reasons for doing what's best for their school district, and now I'll try and find another game, although it's very late in the process to get that done."

The Gilmer-Canton game was supposed to be the opening game of the 3rd-Annual East Texas Kickoff Classic at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler.

There has been speculation Canton will replace Gilmer on their schedule with Tyler T.K. Gorman during the Brook Hill Kickoff Classic in late-August.

Smoaky How very sad.

Whsdogs
04-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
How very sad.

indeed..

Gobbla2001
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Would suck to have to play a game against such a great player your team once played along side of... could be a good move...

RMAC
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
That sucks, but who's to say that these 2 teams won't be meeting again this year.

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
That sucks, but who's to say that these 2 teams won't be meeting again this year. Yeah I would rather see them face off in the playoffs...Its fun to see too great teams face off early in the playoffs.

DaHop72
04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
That sucks, but who's to say that these 2 teams won't be meeting again this year. And that's the middle brother talking.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

Aesculus gilmus
04-04-2006, 12:32 PM
That sucks, but who's to say that these 2 teams won't be meeting again this year.

I'll say it because I don't imagine there's any way Canton will be a "big school" even if it does make the playoffs. It has the second-lowest enrollment number in its district.

Gilmer has the highest enrollment number in its new district.

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I'll say it because I don't imagine there's any way Canton will be a "big school" even if it does make the playoffs. It has the second-lowest enrollment number in its district.

Gilmer has the highest enrollment number in its new district. That a way to be the bearer of bad news:clap: :clap:

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 12:37 PM

Gilmer has the highest enrollment number in its new district. he's right. can't happen this year for sure.

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 12:40 PM
he's right. can't happen this year for sure. Was Gilmer ever a 4A school?

Aesculus gilmus
04-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Yep. In 1996-97. Before that when the classes ended at 4A, we were 3A for more than a decade, from the late 1960s until around 1980.

Our enrollment is only 668, so there's no chance we'll go back up barring some sort of Mount Pleasant-style inundation of poultry industry workers with lots of niņos and niņas.

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Yep. In 1996-97. Before that when the classes ended at 4A, we were 3A for more than a decade, from the late 1960s until around 1980.

Our enrollment is only 688, IIRC, so there's no chance we'll go back up barring some sort of Mount Pleasant-style inundation of poultry industry workers with lots of niņos and niņas. :confused: poultry???:confused:

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
This is probably for the best.

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
:confused: poultry???:confused: it's an east texas thing:D

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 12:52 PM
it's an east texas thing:D Yep. Pilgrim's Pride right?

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Ahhh ok..Us up here in the North have...oil??? I guess that and the best football programs in the State...:inlove:

Aesculus gilmus
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
You know, there's one other nightmare scenario. And that's if the Legislature ever starts consolidating schools. We have a number of small school districts bordering Gilmer that might not survive the cut.

scrappy05
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM

Our enrollment is only 688, IIRC, so there's no chance we'll go back up barring some sort of Mount Pleasant-style inundation of poultry industry workers with lots of niņos and niņas.

you would know exactly what he is talking bout if you have been to mt pleasant in the last 10 years. for people that have to visit mt pleasant or live in that area they can thank pilgrim's pride for the abundance of non-english speaking people in the area.

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by scrappy05
you would know exactly what he is talking bout if you have been to mt pleasant in the last 10 years. for people that have to visit mt pleasant or live in that area they can thank pilgrim's pride for the abundance of non-english speaking people in the area. yep, i think thats a politically correct way of putting it.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I think all job application in the US should have an English proficiency exam attached. If you can't speak English, go take a class and come back when you can.

(stepping off soap box)

Whew! I feel better now.

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
yep, i think thats a politically correct way of putting it. Somebody had to say it....

SWMustang
04-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by scrappy05
you would know exactly what he is talking bout if you have been to mt pleasant in the last 10 years. for people that have to visit mt pleasant or live in that area they can thank pilgrim's pride for the abundance of non-english speaking people in the area.

You see a problem with that... I see an opportunity. Mt Pleasant soccer should be rocking pretty soon.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
You see a problem with that... I see an opportunity. Mt Pleasant soccer should be rocking pretty soon. whoopie...we're good in a communist sport...

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 01:13 PM
say what you will, but mt. pleasant used to be a force in all sports. i saw on another site that the soccer program is doing well these days.

SWMustang
04-04-2006, 01:16 PM
say what you will, but mt. pleasant used to be a force in all sports. i saw on another site that the soccer program is doing well these days.

told ya!

lostaussie
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
told ya! i think i was replying when you posted that. i started laughing when i read it.:)

Ranger Mom
04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think all job application in the US should have an English proficiency exam attached. If you can't speak English, go take a class and come back when you can.

(stepping off soap box)

Whew! I feel better now.

I agree 100%

NateDawg39
04-04-2006, 01:44 PM

(stepping off soap box)

Whew! I feel better now. Watch it!!! Someone might protest over what you just said!!!:(

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Let em protest.:rolleyes::)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
04-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Canton probably withdrew from the game so that some of their players won't hurt G.J. out of bitterness towards his abandoning of them.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Canton probably withdrew from the game so that some of their players won't hurt G.J. out of bitterness towards his abandoning of them. I think you've said what most of us are thinking.

icu812
04-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Gilmer will go big school in their new district. Canton cannot go big school in their district. Personally, I wouldnt be surprised if Canton didnt make the playoffs this year.

AP Panther Fan
04-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Personally, I wouldnt be surprised if Canton didnt make the playoffs this year.

I hope they win it all.:)

SWMustang
04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I hope they win it all.:)

I don't. The whole town has been so non chalant about Jr's safety.

FootballChik98
04-04-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't. The whole town has been so non chalant about Jr's safety.
What makes you think that?

SWMustang
04-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
What makes you think that?

That's what I drew from Mom's letter that has been posted. Shame on the Canton people..

AggieJohn
04-04-2006, 06:28 PM

Smoaky

Liberty v. Stafford takes the number 2 spot, back in 99 i think

JasperDog94
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
That's what I drew from Mom's letter that has been posted. Shame on the Canton people.. Remember, there are two sides to every story.

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Remember, there are two sides to every story.

I'd love to hear that other side...

44INAROW
04-05-2006, 03:17 PM
DANGIT I was going to keep quiet....

JasperDog94
04-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
oh I wanna make some comments...... I am trying to stay out of this.......... but WHY is it the town folks responsibility? maybe keeping his NAME AND ADDRESS OFF THE INTERNET WEBSITE would be a start - but that is a family decision.

DANGIT I was going to keep quiet.... I just don't trust the mom. She says one thing and then tried to change what she meant by the statement. This has never been about safety. That's just an excuse. (IMHO)

SWMustang
04-05-2006, 03:31 PM
DANGIT I was going to keep quiet....

I agree with you. I thought maybe I could bait the Canton folks to defend their honor, but that didn't happen.

mrescape43
04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
I just don't trust the mom. She says one thing and then tried to change what she meant by the statement. This has never been about safety. That's just an excuse. (IMHO)

You are right. Everyone knows it is about athletics. Her statement was straight and to the point. She is trying to do some damage control with her later statements

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
You are right. Everyone knows it is about athletics. Her statement was straight and to the point. She is trying to do some damage control with her later statements

It's called CYA....she certainly is an effective letter writer though...;)

mrescape43
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
It's called CYA....she certainly is an effective letter writer though...;)
With all at stake in this I wouldn't be surprised if she had consulted with an attorney about contents of her letter.

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
With all at stake in this I wouldn't be surprised if she had consulted with an attorney about contents of her letter.

You're probably right.

I had a whole bunch of sarcastic stuff in this post I just edited out...

You know how the "poor" family is so tired of the attention? I think I am tired of giving them any of mine.:D

44INAROW
04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I just don't trust the mom. She says one thing and then tried to change what she meant by the statement. This has never been about safety. That's just an excuse. (IMHO)

oh just to clarify something.. I meant HIS Website, not this one...

and I honestly believe the safety issue is a very convenient excuse - if I was in fear for my child's life, I'd of left LONG time ago and FAR FAR away........

JasperDog94
04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
oh just to clarify something.. I meant HIS Website, not this one... I gotcha.:)

Ranger Mom
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
I honestly believe the safety issue is a very convenient excuse - if I was in fear for my child's life, I'd of left LONG time ago and FAR FAR away........

DITTO....DITTO....and DITTO!!!!:devil: