PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Park Baseball

hawkfan
04-03-2006, 12:37 PM
there is a thread on The Old Coach that the Iowa Park job might be open. Anybody know anything? I figure GreenMonster would be in the know

Macarthur
04-03-2006, 12:40 PM
I have heard that Furman is giving strong consideration to retiring from coaching after this season.

injuredinmelee
04-03-2006, 12:49 PM
where is Darryl Fraizer at now?

Macarthur
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Good question. I think his son is playing for Burk.

injuredinmelee
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
all of the Wylie coaches know him. They used to play softball against and with him. I will try and see if one of them knows.

GWOOD
04-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I have heard that Furman is giving strong consideration to retiring from coaching after this season.

When Iowa Park was in Midland for the West Texas Classic last month, the rumor was that this was his last year. It seemed to me that players and parents were aware of this? True or just a rumor?

Macarthur
04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
When Iowa Park was in Midland for the West Texas Classic last month, the rumor was that this was his last year. It seemed to me that players and parents were aware of this? True or just a rumor?

Yes. It has been common knowledge. I have not heard if it's definitive. I've just heard he's strongly considering just teaching.

GreenMonster
04-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes. It has been common knowledge. I have not heard if it's definitive. I've just heard he's strongly considering just teaching.

What he said. I don't think this one will come open though, if Fuhrman leaves that is. Assistant Michael Swenson is very capable of keeping this program at the top. As for Darryl Frazier, he lives in Burkburnett and is/was on the football staff over there. May be in the junior high over there. Still drives his old Jeep that he bought new in like 1982. The auto mech class over in Burk gave it a nice overhaul a couple of years ago and it is now bright yellow in color and last time I talked to him it was running really good.

Macarthur
04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What he said. I don't think this one will come open though, if Fuhrman leaves that is. Assistant Michael Swenson is very capable of keeping this program at the top. As for Darryl Frazier, he lives in Burkburnett and is/was on the football staff over there. May be in the junior high over there. Still drives his old Jeep that he bought new in like 1982. The auto mech class over in Burk gave it a nice overhaul a couple of years ago and it is now bright yellow in color and last time I talked to him it was running really good.

I thought Darden was the higher assistant as far as seniority? Also, I loved that jeep when I was in school so that tells you how old that car is!

GreenMonster
04-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I thought Darden was the higher assistant as far as seniority? Also, I loved that jeep when I was in school so that tells you how old that car is!

Darden should be finishing up his Masters and getting his Principal Certificate soon. I was told that he would probably be looking for an Assistant Principal job for this next year. My opinion, and my opinion only here, is that Fuhrman will try to keep the baseball job so long as he can get out of football. If he can teach and have baseball as his only athletic duty I think he will stay on. Coach Clark was allowed the opportunity to get out of football and keep the basketball job a couple of years ago. These guys are getting burned out from all the years of 80 hour weeks. Add in the fact that Fuhrman's kids are junior high age and competing in athletics there and you have to assume he'd like to be a parent for a change instead of the coach. Whatever he decides I will wish him the best. I have lots of love for that man.

GreenMonster
04-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
there is a thread on The Old Coach

I just read that thread. That guy is a moron evidently because none of what he has posted there other than his question of the baseball job potentially being open is anywhere close to being correct. There are no reassignments going on and unless the DC chooses to leave I don't see him going anywhere. His defenses have been very solid ever since he returned. All of the teams have made the playoffs so far this year, both boys and girls. Baseball is well on the way to making the playoffs and the softball team should make it as well. Anyone that reads The Old Coach, disregard what is being said there because it simply isn't true.

Cameron Crazy
04-03-2006, 07:55 PM
The chief is taking that job....

hawkfan
04-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I just read that thread. That guy is a moron evidently because none of what he has posted there other than his question of the baseball job potentially being open is anywhere close to being correct. There are no reassignments going on and unless the DC chooses to leave I don't see him going anywhere. His defenses have been very solid ever since he returned. All of the teams have made the playoffs so far this year, both boys and girls. Baseball is well on the way to making the playoffs and the softball team should make it as well. Anyone that reads The Old Coach, disregard what is being said there because it simply isn't true.

I just read what you wrote on there and loved it. You can back me up here Green Monster. When I did my student teaching there I realized nothing had changed from when I was in high school there. The coaches are nothing but class individuals that want to win and see the students do well. That is speaking first hand as a student-coach working with athletics on a daily basis. I don't know where that guy was getting his info but he needs to check his sources. With all the successes there, both boys and girls sports, I don't see how any coach would want to leave unless a job opened up that they could not pass on.

VWG
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
I just read what you wrote on there and loved it. You can back me up here Green Monster. When I did my student teaching there I realized nothing had changed from when I was in high school there. The coaches are nothing but class individuals that want to win and see the students do well. That is speaking first hand as a student-coach working with athletics on a daily basis. I don't know where that guy was getting his info but he needs to check his sources. With all the successes there, both boys and girls sports, I don't see how any coach would want to leave unless a job opened up that they could not pass on.

One thing that makes a coach jump ship...... MONEY.
The more they make, the more goes in for the teacher retirement.
Not to say this guy is leaving, but I know that coaches will leave any job for enough cash. It helps the retirement fund later on.

GreenMonster
04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by VWG
One thing that makes a coach jump ship...... MONEY.
The more they make, the more goes in for the teacher retirement.
Not to say this guy is leaving, but I know that coaches will leave any job for enough cash. It helps the retirement fund later on. VWG, we lost our previous DC to a district rival 40 miles to the NW on 287 for more money and less classes. Can't blame him, IP chose not to match the offer. The new DC was one of his proteges that played under him in Wimberley, coached under him in IP, and then followed Coach Nelms to Wimberley for a couple of years before returning to replace his mentor. Upon his return he changed defensive fronts and went to a much more aggressive attacking style with the LB's and it has worked out very well for the Hawks.

Chief Ohera
04-04-2006, 12:57 AM
chase wright????????????????

injuredinmelee
04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
never mind ill let it go.

injuredinmelee
04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I think your old dc left because of something to do with his track responsibilities.

Macarthur
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
chase wright????????????????

Is there a question?

VWG
04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Is Chase Wright still playing pro ball?

Macarthur
04-04-2006, 01:39 PM
yes, he's at the yankee's carolina team, AA, I think.

I think this is a critical year for Chase. He's 24, i believe, and when prospects get on the other side of their 20s and they haven't made it up to AAA, most have to make a tough decision.

GreenMonster
04-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I think your old dc left because of something to do with his track responsibilities.

Yeah, that was a big factor as well. He kind of got the shaft on that whole deal. Injured, when is Monica and Jonathan's kiddo due to arrive? Any idea?

injuredinmelee
04-04-2006, 02:16 PM
in April. We tried to get Jon to go to the Shell with us but he isnt allowed to leave town that month.
It will never be the same again my man never again i try to tell him.

VWG
04-04-2006, 03:25 PM
You're right about being 24 and still in double A. If Wright is still hanging around double A past 25 that isn't a good sign.
People think that is a glamorous lifestyle but it's not. The average monthly salary for a AA player is like $1,000 per month. Not a week, but a month. The only money pro ballplayers make is on their signing bonus, or unless they do make it into the majors.

A buddy of mine from Birmingham, AL. tried to work his way up through the minors as an umpire. The grind of road trips and very low pay scale ate him up. He quit after about 6 years.