PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Ok, the season starts today for the Astros. What is everyone thinking about their chances of returning to the series this year after the loss of Bagwell and Clemens?
I personally think they can make it back, but I want to see how the new pitchers in the starting rotation can handle the pressure. Wandy has potential as a pretty good lefty, and Bucholz is a rookie but apparently has a wicked curve.

Maroon87
04-03-2006, 11:53 AM
After the last couple of years I'm never gonna say they can't do it. They made all the "experts" look stupid last year, the ones who said they couldn't get to the playoffs without Beltran...:rolleyes: I think they've got another run in 'em!:cool:

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I still think you'll see Roger in an Astros uniform before the season is over.

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I wish they were gonna do the ring ceremony tonight when I'm at the game versus tomorrow night.:(

Gobbla2001
04-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Gettin' back to the series is not important... apparently winning the Silver Boot would be the biggest accomplishment out of those two...

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
according to "you know who";)

SWMustang
04-03-2006, 01:21 PM
I think Clemens will be back also. the lineup should be improved with the addition of Preston wilson and all the playing time the younger kids got last year. I think the big question mark is the pitching. I swear if it's not the playoffs, you don't know what Brandon Backe is going to give you. I think Wandy has secured the #4 spot - as unimpressed as I was at times - he still won 10 games last year.

It's opening day! All is well riht now.

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree. Today is like a holiday for me. I am decked out head to toe in my Astros jersey, world series hat, and accesories. I think we see the rocket pitch for houston again too. He is set up perfectly for it. He pitches from May to playoffs and still gets to stay home and watch his kids. The only thing that bothers me about Wilson is that he is only for contact and not consistency. But anything is an upgrade from how the bats were swinging last year I guess.

SWMustang
04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't think the rest of the division did much to better themselves. The cards will have a good team (what else is new) with a healthy Rolen, Edmunds and Pujols. I think they have a better rotation than the stros's (at the back end). We'll see. I give the stros a punchers chance at the division and a great shot at the wild card again.

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
He pitches from May to playoffs and still gets to stay home and watch his kids. I think it will be more like June, even possibly after the All Star break.

big daddy russ
04-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Everyone else seems to forget that Berkman's had a tough run the past couple of years. When he's healthy and producing he's a .330/35/110 type of player and the 'Stros offense is considered "dangerous."

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Let's go Astros
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let's go Astros
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

big daddy russ
04-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Oh, and Berkman's in his prime right now. He just turned 30, so he'll be one of the top hitters in the league again this year.

Batting Stats:

YR.....AVG/HR/RBI

'01... .331/34/126
'02... .292/42/128
'03... .288/25/93
'04... .316/30/106
'05... .293/24/82

OK, so maybe not a .330-type player, but definitely a .310 or better.

Career Averages (per 162 games):
5.6 yrs. .302/32/110

Adidas410s
04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Well Kevin Millwood looked good for the Rangers today...for 3 and 2/3 innings at least!!!

At least we are making a game of it.

Boston 5
Texas 2

End of 6th

Adidas410s
04-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Boston 5
Texas 2

End of 6th

Make that:

Boston 6
Texas 2

2 outs in top of the 7th...

I flipped over to yahoo only to find out that ESPN's GameCast is running almost half an inning behind!!! :eek: Their new setup looks pretty but still runs on about a 10-minute delay! :mad: Oh well...back to bland Yahoo!

big daddy russ
04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
YEAR... AVG/HR/OBP/R /SLG

2003... .263/191/.336/805 /431
2004... .267/187/.342/803 /.436
2005... .256/161/.322/693 /.408

Notice anything about the run production? Kinda hard to produce when your two biggest sluggers are injured. Ensberg did a nice job of stepping in and Biggio was Biggio, but it's hard for those two to do everything.

I have a feeling that this year, Taveras (who's only 24 years old) will cut down on those 103 K's, become more disciplined at the plate, and wind up with a .375+ OBP. That'll give them a true leadoff man. Combine that with the fact that they have a great hitter in the two-hole (Big), one of the best pure hitters in the league at three (Berkman), good protection for Berkman with Ensberg, a solid number five hitter with some speed in Preston Wilson, and another heavy bat in Jason Lane late in the order, and they have the makings of a great offense.

Oh, and one more thing... who thinks that Chris Burke has the chance to develop into a great clutch hitter late in the order, because I do.

Ranger05
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
I agree with chris burke he impressed me with his bat speed and ability to make contact with the ball. I hope he will stay in astros uniform his entire career like craig biggio will probably end up doing. On another note Biggio is 205 hits away from 3000 hits for his career he should reach it next season unless he somehow manages to go on a tear this season last year he hit .264 with 156 hits on 590 AB.

Adidas410s
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Oh, and one more thing... who thinks that Chris Burke has the chance to develop into a great clutch hitter late in the order, because I do.

I do too!!!

JasperDog94
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Well, it's time to go home, change, and get my game face on!

GO STROS!!!:)

BreckTxLonghorn
04-03-2006, 04:12 PM
I think Clemens will come back to Houston for the stretch run if they are anywhere close to contention. But don't be surprised if he becomes a hired gun to come in mid-late july for a team that's in it.

Also, it was kinda interesting to see him at Rangers' opening day, wasn't it?

Adidas410s
04-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I think Clemens will come back to Houston for the stretch run if they are anywhere close to contention. But don't be surprised if he becomes a hired gun to come in mid-late july for a team that's in it.

Also, it was kinda interesting to see him at Rangers' opening day, wasn't it?

He was??? Nice!!! I heard something about how Tom Hicks had offered him his jet to get him around between games and even take him to the Masters. Clemens said he would consider it because he has never been able to attend the Masters due to always playing baseball in April!!!

and the plot thickens!!!

turbostud
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Anyone watching Braves/Dodgers on ESPN? The Braves are killing the Dodgers. The Dodgers had 2 errors in the first inning of their opening game at home. What a way to start the season.
Adam LaRoche and Andruw Jones have homers.

Albert Pujols already has 2 homers in the Cardinals opener.

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 04:36 PM
I agree with Burke becoming a great player. He really showed he could handle the pressure as well in that eighteen inning game against the Braves. I also think Taveras could be really good at the 2 spot. It will be interesting to see what all has changed tonight. I cant wait to see how Oswalt is doing now that everyone knows he is a great pitcher. He's my boy. Im wearing his jersey right now so maybe it will be good luck.

sahen
04-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
YEAR... AVG/HR/OBP/R /SLG

2003... .263/191/.336/805 /431
2004... .267/187/.342/803 /.436
2005... .256/161/.322/693 /.408

Notice anything about the run production? Kinda hard to produce when your two biggest sluggers are injured. Ensberg did a nice job of stepping in and Biggio was Biggio, but it's hard for those two to do everything.

I have a feeling that this year, Taveras (who's only 24 years old) will cut down on those 103 K's, become more disciplined at the plate, and wind up with a .375+ OBP. That'll give them a true leadoff man. Combine that with the fact that they have a great hitter in the two-hole (Big), one of the best pure hitters in the league at three (Berkman), good protection for Berkman with Ensberg, a solid number five hitter with some speed in Preston Wilson, and another heavy bat in Jason Lane late in the order, and they have the makings of a great offense.

i think we r gonna be better but for any strikeouts that Taveras avoids this year Preston Wilson will make up for....i like his bat when he hits the ball its normally a hit, problem is when he doesnt get a hit he strikes out, a lot.....

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i think we r gonna be better but for any strikeouts that Taveras avoids this year Preston Wilson will make up for....i like his bat when he hits the ball its normally a hit, problem is when he doesnt get a hit he strikes out, a lot.....

Thats what I was talking about earlier. I have a feeling our strikeout count will be really high here at the beginning until the new members of the team really get comfortable.

big daddy russ
04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think Wilson's K's will be as much of a problem as Taveras.' Wilson was brought in to protect Ensberg, and the way I see it, the increase in Ensberg's production will more than make up for Wilson's failure to get on base.

GWOOD
04-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Gettin' back to the series is not important... apparently winning the Silver Boot would be the biggest accomplishment out of those two...

LOL...I remember that conversation last Fall. National League Champs but.......2nd best team in Texas!

GWOOD
04-03-2006, 05:44 PM
This year I am going to keep quiet about the Astros. Last year, I was so frustrated that they did not make a deal for another hitter in the lineup before the trade deadline. I was certain that we could not take the Cardinals without another hitter in the lineup--even as good as our pitching staff was. Boy, did they prove me wrong! Don't make any judgments on those Astros until early August.

sahen
04-03-2006, 06:58 PM
i hate waco....they blacked out the rangers game earlier today (showed espnu instead) and on foxsports who i presumed made them black it out, they showed college baseball....i thought ok, no big deal im an astros fan.....so tonight i turn it on foxsports, no astros, nope they r showing poker instead!...they have alternate channels for the astros in waco the past 2 years, but no luck there either.....i go to tvguide.com and it looks like they rnt gonna show any of the astros games in teh first 2 series (didnt look past that)...so basically the tv blacked out any opening day games for teams in the state of texas? ***?....too bad im not from cali i could have watched all their teams play opening day today....

then i calm down and think ok, i'll just listen on ktrh.com, last year it was a little bit behind but thats ok being that im not watching it...yup way to go mlb.com! u cant listen to it over the net anymore (unless if u want to pay mlb.com 14.95 for the whole year, no one game option, good lord r they getting greedy or what?)...luckily i found a radio and have the game on for now, but this is ridiculous...no astros on tv in waco?? apparantly making it to the world series was their downfall, the waco cable stations think the waco pop. dont care the astros now....and since the rangers bascially suck they dont show them either? i guess i can watch the braves (::throws up:: ) and whatever they choose to show on espn (barry bonds, ::throws up more:: )....pathetic

SWMustang
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
i hate waco....they blacked out the rangers game earlier today (showed espnu instead) and on foxsports who i presumed made them black it out, they showed college baseball....i thought ok, no big deal im an astros fan.....so tonight i turn it on foxsports, no astros, nope they r showing poker instead!...they have alternate channels for the astros in waco the past 2 years, but no luck there either.....i go to tvguide.com and it looks like they rnt gonna show any of the astros games in teh first 2 series (didnt look past that)...so basically the tv blacked out any opening day games for teams in the state of texas? ***?....too bad im not from cali i could have watched all their teams play opening day today....

then i calm down and think ok, i'll just listen on ktrh.com, last year it was a little bit behind but thats ok being that im not watching it...yup way to go mlb.com! u cant listen to it over the net anymore (unless if u want to pay mlb.com 14.95 for the whole year, no one game option, good lord r they getting greedy or what?)...luckily i found a radio and have the game on for now, but this is ridiculous...no astros on tv in waco?? apparantly making it to the world series was their downfall, the waco cable stations think the waco pop. dont care the astros now....and since the rangers bascially suck they dont show them either? i guess i can watch the braves (::throws up:: ) and whatever they choose to show on espn (barry bonds, ::throws up more:: )....pathetic

You got the screw job today. I stil get pissed they won't show the home games on Sunday on TV.

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 09:31 PM
(barry bonds, ::throws up more:: )....pathetic

Did you see where a Padres Fan threw a syringe onto the field in front of Barry during the game?

sahen
04-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Did you see where a Padres Fan threw a syringe onto the field in front of Barry during the game?
no....i didnt watch it....i listened to the astros on the radio and watched something else....

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, I only saw it on the highlights on baseball tonight. I thought it was funny, but kinda scary seeing as the guy got a SYRINGE past security. lol

Maroon87
04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
no....i didnt watch it....i listened to the astros on the radio and watched something else....

I already miss Alan Ashby...:(

kepdawg
04-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Yankees taking it to the A's.

13-1 in the 5th

Bulldog_12
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Yankees taking it to the A's.

13-1 in the 5th

There were several games like that today. I thought most teams pitch their ace on opening day. Cubs and cards killed their opponents.

kepdawg
04-03-2006, 11:21 PM
There were several games like that today. I thought most teams pitch their ace on opening day. Cubs and cards killed their opponents.

Zito started for Oakland. He gave up 7 and didn't make it out of the 2nd inning. A-Rod hit a grand slam off of him.

JasperDog94
04-04-2006, 08:00 AM
They didn't show the Stros game in the Beaumont area either. My dad said he looked for the game, but no luck.:(