PDA

View Full Version : Stephan Mcgee: Superb Vision

bd0707
09-13-2003, 03:45 PM
I have not missed a Burnet football game in the last six years. With that said, it is obvious Burnet's had some highs and lows. The passing of the coach Abernathy era and the re-inventing of program that was stagnant since the 91 season. Head coach Bob Shipley came home came home with a plan, build an infrastructure from the ground up. Based in strength, desire, commitment, and founded in trust, goals set for this team may or may not come to fruition. If the Burnet Bulldogs attain their objective they will have earned it, if they don't it will not be for lacking any of the qualities mentioned.
With the infrastructure in place, a game plan was needed. Had Burnet's current roster fallen into the lap of coach Abernathy, great talents like Patrick Miller, Mason Templeton,(both 03 grads) Cody Warner, and Jordan Shipley may gone unnoticed, they may have been just average players on an average team. Stephan Mcgee may have been just another Qb running the option. Thank goodness the stars just didn't line up that way, instead by some measure of destiny the right coach for the right roster of players met to each others benefit.
Last night at the Killeen Shoemaker vs. Burnet game it occurred to me that this is a special time for the fans of Burnet, what we are watching will be remembered by all watching for some time to come. Sure the running backs and wide receivers are a sight to behold and an offensive line that is almost always out sized by their opponent yet seem to provide gaps for their backs and protection for their Qb. The defense that is young and smaller than their opposition, but contain them anywhere on the field, already in this young season have several goal-line stands.
At the very heart of this team stands Stephen Mcgee, truly a sight to behold. Having watched every other opposing Qb for these last six years I have not seen another Qb that comes close to the talent of this young man. He possesses an uncanny degree of poise and a remarkable vision of the field. He seems to see a play unfold as well or better than an offensive coordinator sitting in a press box. You know how sometimes when your watching a game in person or on tv ,it doesn't matter which or at what level, you find yourself saying the Qb should have done this or he should have done that, last night it occurred to me that I never find myself second guessing this guy. If it is a busted play he doesn't force the issue creating mistakes. This as a result keeps interceptions very minimal. I don't know his career stats,( if anyone does please post)but I'm sure his stats will hold that to be true. He is not stuck on anyone as a primary receiver, if he has more than one receiver he always seems to pick the target that will produce the most yards gained after a reception. In last night's game against Shoemaker he threw balls on target into double coverage with pinpoint accuracy, he threw a pass to Shipley that had to be timed route all the way, it was obvious because the ball came in from an angle that you would have expected Shipley to be looking over his right shoulder but the ball was already airborne before Shipley ever looked over his left shoulder with his hands coming up at the same time for the reception. Shipley never had to adjust speed, he expected the ball to there and it was. Reminiscent of Montana to Rice. It will be fun to watch what this Quarterback does in the future, he is the real deal folks. I hope those who have watched him from the other side of stadium will offer an opinion on my assessment of some of Mcgee's talents.

Rabbit'93
09-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Wow comparing an 18 year old to Montana. Gutsy...but I like it.

HotDawg89
09-13-2003, 06:14 PM
I agree, that is a big statement to make, but McGee is unbelievably gifted. He has accuracy on 60 yard passes when he is standing sideways, on one foot, going down with 3 men closing in on him.
I've not seen anything like it on the HS level, ever. I hate to see that pair split up, (Shipley and McGee) but it will be fun watching them grow in their careers!

29x281
09-13-2003, 08:47 PM
"an offensive line that is almost always out sized by their opponent" -- bd0707

Let's not get carried away. Rollman is 285, Kennedy is 285, Trahan is 260 and Thomas is 265. Longoria is the only normal-sized human being in the group.

Gilmer Buckeye
09-13-2003, 08:48 PM
It's not too late for Shipley to change his mind and go to A&M, is it?

After today, I wouldn't blame him a bit. And I can see Franchione utilizing the duo's natural chemistry moreso than if the Ags were still stuck in the Slocum era.