PDA

View Full Version : Nice day on the backwaters of the Lavaca Bay (redfish)...

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
A friend took me out to the backwaters of the Lavaca Bay today in search of Redfish...

I caught a 29 inch (had to use my tag), a 27 3/4", a 27 1/4", a 22", another 22", a 20 3/4" and a 19"...

He caught a 29 inch (he tagged), around a 27 3/4", another 27 1/4", another 22", two 21"ers and around a "19 ...

got to the spot at around 7:00, had our limit of 6 keepers at around 7:35, left the fish while they were still biting at around 8:45....

We kept the two 29's, a 27 3/4, two 22's and one of the 21's... the other three 27-rangers were still alive by the time we ran out of our bait and the ones that took their place were expired, so we kept the dead ones and let the bigger ones that were still alive go...

Kick-butt... best day of "quality" fishing I've ever had...

big daddy russ
04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
My gawd, wanna take me fishing?

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
My gawd, wanna take me fishing?

I met the guy about two weekends ago through my ex-girlfriend and her friend... she said the dude played guitar a lot (which I do) and had a semi (And I mean semi) studio in his house... so I had been over there jammin' almost every night (After survivor, of course)... we end up talking about fishin' and he tells me about his spots... I personally thought he was just talking a big game... but he was dead-nuts real as I found out today...

Gotta have a flat-bottom boat (And I mean flat) to get to these spots... water is 4 inches deep at some spots... gotta try and keep the engine in the channel while the front of the boat is scrapin' land while weaving through those cuts... it was wicked...

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
gotta try and keep the engine in the channel while the front of the boat is scrapin' land while weaving through those cuts... it was wicked...

and you must be at full speed... that alone was a blast...

44INAROW
04-01-2006, 02:26 PM
sounds like a successful day for sure...... Did you take any pics?

big daddy russ
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
and you must be at full speed... that alone was a blast...
One of my best friends from Aransas has a 21' Explorer that we do that kind of stuff in. It's wicked when you're traveling through tall grass and weeds.

sinton66
04-01-2006, 04:31 PM
If you did that well in a shallow back bay, you had to have been using live bait.

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
If you did that well in a shallow back bay, you had to have been using live bait.

Fresh crab, cut up into about 4's...

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
sounds like a successful day for sure...... Did you take any pics?

took 3 on this disposable I had had... just pictures of the 6 we kept just before cleanin' 'em...

sinton66
04-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Fresh crab, cut up into about 4's...

Wow, I've never had that kind of luck on cut bait. I've destroyed runs on artificial lures when they are running and biting, but never on cut bait.

Gobbla2001
04-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow, I've never had that kind of luck on cut bait. I've destroyed runs on artificial lures when they are running and biting, but never on cut bait.

I never use cut-bait myself... just luers, live finger-mullet/croker and maybe some live-shrimp... then again I've never caught fish like this... I always catch the rats, I never fish for keep I fish for fun... but this guy has been going out to this place his whole life with family etc... so I guess he knows what he's doing... I got out there and wanted to pop a golden spoon on my light-tackle reel while waiting for a bite on the crab that was sitting on the bottom... reeled that big boy in and decided light tackle wasn't the thing to do this morning ha...

big daddy russ
04-01-2006, 07:18 PM
No kidding. I don't even use lures unless it's winter, I usually stick to mullet, croaker, and live shrimp... or if we're just going for reds I'll save a little money and get some fresh dead shrimp. But then again, I usually don't catch anything like that.

sinton66
04-01-2006, 07:28 PM
My brother and I had a killer nite years ago at the Nueces Bay Power Plant out on their pier. The bay was covered in bait fish and the reds and specks were running that channel. I swear they would have hit anything you threw at them that night. That was back before there was a limit, and we did VERY well that nite. The largest was 9-1/2 lbs., and the smallest was 5-1/2 lbs. And, there were over a hundred of them.;)

big daddy russ
04-01-2006, 08:10 PM
My brother and I had a killer nite years ago at the Nueces Bay Power Plant out on their pier. The bay was covered in bait fish and the reds and specks were running that channel. I swear they would have hit anything you threw at them that night. That was back before there was a limit, and we did VERY well that nite. The largest was 9-1/2 lbs., and the smallest was 5-1/2 lbs. And, there were over a hundred of them.;)
That sounds like fun.

On a side note, have you ever been out to the end of the jetties when the kingfish are there? Never been, but my buddy with the Explorer and I are supposed to go this summer if the seas are smooth enough. Two and four years ago we were supposed to go, but Poseidon didn't cooperate.

sinton66
04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I've never caught a kingfish. My brother has. I really like the bull reds and specks for their fight.

Old Green
04-02-2006, 05:25 PM
When is the fish fry ?:thinking: :D