PDA

View Full Version : Canton wants to cancel Gilmer game

Buckeyeman
03-31-2006, 07:14 PM
According to Smoaky.com the Canton ISD is trying to cancel it's game with Gilmer scheduled to be played in Tyler

FootballChik98
03-31-2006, 07:15 PM
I saw that as well. I was looking forward to this game. I don't really understand why they want to cancel.

Aesculus gilmus
03-31-2006, 07:23 PM
I had heard that Gilmer wanted to play Celina in the East Texas Football Classic if only Canton would agree to back out. I heard this after Coach Kinne left for Baylor. It was he who was "jonesing" for the matchup to begin with. He called in to Smoaky's radio show one day challenging Gilmer to play Canton in the ETFC.

I just looked at the Celina Bobcats site and it hasn't been updated for 2006 yet, so I don't know if this would even be possible.

Oh well. There's always Pine Tree. But, if past years are any indication, there won't be anything "classic" about it.

lostaussie
03-31-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by FootballChik98
I saw that as well. I was looking forward to this game. I don't really understand why they want to cancel. my opinion is that they just want to move ahead. with all the press this has garnered, just think if they were getting ready to play. IMO neither school really wants to deal with all of this. it might be better to find another team and move on.

lostaussie
03-31-2006, 07:40 PM
here is the rundown from smoaky

Canton vs. Gilmer Season Opener---Negotiations Underway to Cancel Game

Smoaky.com has learned Canton ISD is negotiating with Titus Sports Marketing to cancel their scheduled season opening game against Gilmer on August 31st at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler.

All this comes in the wake of the transfer of two-time all-state quarterback G.J. Kinne from Canton to Gilmer.

Canton athletic director and head football coach Lance Angel told me there were meetings today between CISD and Titus Sports Marketing, and there could be a decision before the end of the weekend.

Dave Stephenson of Titus Sports Marketing, representing TISD and The East Texas Kickoff Classic said Canton ISD would "get back him" sometime soon on their final decision.

The Canton-Gilmer game was scheduled to open the three-day East Texas Kickoff Classic on Thursday, August 31st at TMF Rose Stadium.

The other games include:
Thursday, August 31st: Gilmer vs. Canton (?)
Friday, September 1st: Lake Highlands vs. Tyler Lee
Saturday, September 2nd: Whitehouse vs. Forney
Saturday September 2nd: Texas High vs. John Tyler

Smoaky

gtownpoke
03-31-2006, 08:26 PM
does anyone from the celina area know if they have their schedule set by now? that would be a great game to see... Hey welcome back to 3A!!

Aesculus gilmus
03-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Gilmer versus Celina might REALLY LIVE UP to the "classic" billing.

If I am not mistaken, gtownpoke was playing for the Buckeyes the only other time we ever played them, in the Area round of the playoffs in 2003.

He'll have to refresh my memory on the score. As I recall Celina made a somewhat respectable showing, but was no match for the Buckeyes.

gtownpoke
03-31-2006, 08:47 PM
You're exactly right! I dont remember the score but I do remember they played harder than anyone I remember going up against. They fought to the very end and had a lot of class. We just had too much speed for them and made a lot of big plays. I know our coaches were trying to get ahold of the Celina coaches when they were scheduling but got a little bit of a cold shoulder. Hopefully things will work out though. If not maybe Jasper or someone like that.. that would be nice as well. Not that I would get to see it because we have a thursday night game to open the season @ Tulsa.

injuredinmelee
03-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
You're exactly right! I dont remember the score but I do remember they played harder than anyone I remember going up against. They fought to the very end and had a lot of class. We just had too much speed for them and made a lot of big plays. I know our coaches were trying to get ahold of the Celina coaches when they were scheduling but got a little bit of a cold shoulder. Hopefully things will work out though. If not maybe Jasper or someone like that.. that would be nice as well. Not that I would get to see it because we have a thursday night game to open the season @ Tulsa.

Where are you playing at now?

gtownpoke
03-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Im an equipment manager for SFAs football team

Gobbla2001
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
seems to me that it'd be a smart move to avoid any problems...

Txbroadcaster
03-31-2006, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
. I heard this after Coach Kinne left for Baylor. It was he who was "jonesing" for the matchup to begin with. He called in to Smoaky's radio show one day challenging Gilmer to play Canton in the ETFC.
it.

Coach Kinne told me in week 10 of the regular season before we broadcasy their final regular season game that they were in talks to play Gilmer in the ETFC, this happened way before they met up in the play-offs.

lostaussie
03-31-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Coach Kinne told me in week 10 of the regular season before we broadcasy their final regular season game that they were in talks to play Gilmer in the ETFC, this happened way before they met up in the play-offs. you are probably right. but he did call us out on a very popular radio talk show. anyway, i think it is best we all move on. we shall see.