PDA

View Full Version : Thsca Announces 2006 Hall Of Honor Inductees

kepdawg
03-31-2006, 02:34 PM
THSCA ANNOUNCES 2006 HALL OF HONOR INDUCTEES

The Texas High School Coaches Association proudly announces the 2006 Inductees into the THSCA Hall of Honor. These inductees will be honored at a luncheon on Wednesday, August 2, 2006 in Austin at the Hilton Hotel at 1:00 pm. Tickets will be $20.00.

The inductees are:
Randy Allen
Allen began his coaching career at Bryan HS. His first head coaching job was at Ballinger where he was named “Coach of the Year” four out of five years for leading the Bearcats deep into the playoffs. Next stop was Brownwood following the legendary Gordon Wood. He was named “Coach of the Year” four times. He returned to his alma mater, Abilene Cooper, where he led the Cougars to the state finals in 1996. Allen took over the tradition-rich Highland Park head coaching job in 1999. The 2003 Scots were state semifinalists with a 13-2 record and they won the Class 4A Division I state championship in 2005. Allen has served as president of the THSCA and also coached the North THSCA All-Stars.

Marty Criswell
Criswell started his coaching career as an assistant at Dickinson in 1972-1976 and at Texas City from 1976-77 before going to Corsicana as offensive coordinator 1977-1980. Coach Criswell was athletic director and head football coach at Denison from 1981 through 1991. While at Denison, Criswell’s teams won seven District Championships, had a twenty-nine game winning streak, and won the 1984 AAAA State Championship. He then accepted the athletic director/head football coach position at Bryan in 1992, succeeding former THSCA President and Hall of Honor Coach, Merrill Green. Coach Criswell and his staff led the Vikings to six play-off appearances, including four district championships. He coached the 1985 Texas Oil Bowl Team, the 1986 THSCA North All Star Football Team and the Texas-California Shrine All Star Game in 1998. Criswell served on the Board of Directors of the THSCA from 1989-1992 and served as President for 2000-01.

Robert Hughes
Robert Hughes graduated from high school in Sapula, OK in 1947. Due to his height of 6 foot 6 inches, Hughes was forced to play basketball. After graduation he served in the United States Army and then attended Texas Southern University on a basketball scholarship. Hughes was drafted by the Boston Celtics but an injury cut his career short. He returned to Oklahoma and graduated with a BS degree from the University of Tulsa in 1958. Hughes worked as a mechanic at Douglas Aircraft in Fort Worth when he was recruited by a former coach to lead the basketball team at I.M. Terrell High School, where Fort Worth’s black students attended. He remained at Terrell from 1958 until they closed it down in 1973. I.M. Terrell reached the state tournament in the PVIL 6 times and won the PVIL basketball championship 3 times (1963, 1965 and 1967). They lost the state finals in 1966. Leaving I.M. Terrell after it’s closing; Hughes went to Fort Worth Dunbar HS where he remained for 32 years. Dunbar reached the state tournament in the UIL 12 times and won the UIL 4A State Basketball Championship in 1993 and 2003. Coach Hughes coached 38 of his 47 teams to the postseason. He won 5 State Championships, finished 2nd on 4 occasions and made it to the state tournament a total of 18 times. His last 30 teams made it into the state play-offs. Robert Hughes became the nation’s winningest high school basketball coach with victory number 1,275 and in 2005 his last Dunbar team reached the state play-offs for the 30th consecutive year. Coach Hughes was named National High School Coaches Association Boys Basketball Coach of the Year in 2005.

George Kirk
George Kirk’s coaching stops include the following: Diamond Hill-Jarvis High School; Temple High School; C. H. Yoe High School, athletic director, head football coach and head track coach; Littlefield High School as athletic director and head football coach; Palo Duro High School as head football coach; Baylor University as assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and backfield coach; Plainview High School as athletic director and head football coach; Klein High School as assistant athletic director and head football coach. His coaching record is 179-83-12 for 2A, 3A, 4A and 5A. His record at Klein is 89-43-5.
Kirk's honors include: District 3AAA Coach of the Year West Texas AAAA Coach of the Year; District 3AAAA Coach of the Year (2 years) Greater Houston Area Coach of the Year ; District 4AAAA Coach of the Year (3 years) Greater Houston Northwest Coach of the Year ; District 16AAAA Coach of the Year (2 years) Scholastic Coach Magazine Select Circle Coaching Award; District 15AAAA Coach of the Year (2 years) South All-Star Football Selection Committee, 5-A; Panhandle Coach of the Year; Chairman of the South All-Star Football Selection Committee.

Jim Slaughter
Coach Slaughter’s first coaching job was at Boswell High School in Saginaw, Texas. After leaving Boswell in 1971, Slaughter had coaching stints at Colorado High School and San Angelo Lake View High School, where he was head football coach and athletic coordinator for nine years. During his career at Lake View, his football teams acquired two district championships, four spots in the playoffs, and six first or second place finishes. In 1987, Coach Slaughter moved to Corpus Christi Carroll as the head football coach and athletic coordinator. During his five seasons at Carroll, he amassed three district championships, three bi-district championships, had three 10-0 seasons, two 9-1 seasons, an Area and Regional championship, and compiled a five-year record of 55-7. Coach Slaughter accepted the head position at Lufkin in March of 1992 and is now the head coach at A&M Consolidated High School. He was awarded the “Tom Landry Coach of the Year Award” in April of 1992. Slaughter served on the THSCA Board of Directors from 1984-1987 and was the THSCA President for 1992-1993.

injuredinmelee
03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
Im still not nominated? Wow i know i haent ever done cap but come on show a brutha from the east side of the BG some love.

Adidas410s
03-31-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Im still not nominated? Wow i know i haent ever done cap but come on show a brutha from the east side of the BG some love.

There's no love in the East Side...

vet93
03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Coach Allen was my head coach when I was at Ballinger. He has done well everywhere he has gone. Congratulations Coach Allen!

Adidas410s
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Coach Allen was my head coach when I was at Ballinger. He has done well everywhere he has gone. Congratulations Coach Allen!

gah don't hijack our thread! :p

injuredinmelee
03-31-2006, 05:42 PM
where you at Ballinger when Terry Strambler was there? I think he was a sr. the year Ballinger lost in Stamford to Iowa Park.

Buccaneer
03-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Coach Slaughter was the best coach ever in Corpus Christi.