PDA

View Full Version : NFL to limit endzone celebrations

Emerson1
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

If a player can't do it while running off the field (spiking/dunking) then it should be a 15 yard penalty. I hate the stupid celebration like the 'river dance' or any of the stupid ones steve smith/chad johnson do. Atleast TO's are sometimes funny, the ball signing and when he threw out balls to the crowd were the only decent ones the past few seasons.

GreenMonster
03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Let's not get too carried away on this. These guys are just as much professional "performers" as they are professional athletes. Face it, some fans watch the games just for little exhibitions like these. I like the NFL's prior stance on this. "We won't punish your team but we reserve the right to fine YOU if we determine your actions were a bit over-board. "

NateDawg39
03-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Politics screw everything up....

Emerson1
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Find me 5 people that watch an entire game just to see a stupid celebration.

whtfbplaya
03-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Find me 5 people that watch an entire game just to see a stupid celebration.

For how much?

AggieJohn
03-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
For how much?

EXACTLY in the No Fun League, that's all i watch for anymore

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
i agree with the league puting a stop to them, nothing needs to be said after a touchdown is scored, the scoreboard already says enough.

GreenMonster
03-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i agree with the league puting a stop to them, nothing needs to be said after a touchdown is scored, the scoreboard already says enough. This isn't Amature football, it's Professional football. The nation's current favorite sport. Why go and screw around with a winning formula. By the way, 5 people would be easy to find just line up about 15 random women and you could get 5.

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This isn't Amature football, it's Professional football. The nation's current favorite sport. Why go and screw around with a winning formula. By the way, 5 people would be easy to find just line up about 15 random women and you could get 5. i dont care if its peewee or professional. if your the best you dont need to flaunt it. all that shows is arrogance. i have little to no respect for those who have to show off when they score a touchdown. when VY scored the winning TD with 19 seconds left to play the game you didnt see him do some stupid excessive endzone dance. Emmitt smith never did end zone dances. great players at the level they played at, both got the job done and led their teams marvelously.

(disclaimer: VY hasnt played a single play in the NFL so its not right to just stick him in that bracket. i do however see him being one of the best players the league has ever seen and the way defenses play against the offense changing in the next 5-10 years due to VY's style of game play.)

mrescape43
03-30-2006, 10:02 PM
I think any celebration period should be automatic ejection.

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I think any celebration period should be automatic ejection. i think things like taking a knee is acceptable. but almost anything beyond that is out of line. it sets a bad example for the levels below and teaches subconciously to be unsportsmanlike and classless.

GreenMonster
03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i dont care if its peewee or professional. if your the best you dont need to flaunt it. all that shows is arrogance. i have little to no respect for those who have to show off when they score a touchdown. when VY scored the winning TD with 19 seconds left to play the game you didnt see him do some stupid excessive endzone dance. Emmitt smith never did end zone dances. great players at the level they played at, both got the job done and led their teams marvelously.

(disclaimer: VY hasnt played a single play in the NFL so its not right to just stick him in that bracket. i do however see him being one of the best players the league has ever seen and the way defenses play against the offense changing in the next 5-10 years due to VY's style of game play.)

Sorry dude, you also left out a disclaimer for the "Emmitt Smith Rule." You remember, the rule that penalizes players/teams for said player removing his headgear on the field of play. The removal of the helmet was infact a Touchdown celebration. Emmitt is/was a classy guy/player but even he celebrated. Previous NFL rules penalized players that had overly excessive TD celebrations and the NFL had a system of fining other players that managed to not draw a flag but still had excessive celebrations. I'm not condoning elaborate celebrations in any way but it is "Entertainment" and football is a very emotional game. Take away the celebrations and all you have left is a boring product.

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-30-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Take away the celebrations and all you have left is a boring product. if you have to have celebrations to enjoy the game...you need therapy more than anyone i know...and i didnt forget to put a disclaimer about smith, i didnt wanna write one. i was just puting my two cents about VY.

Emerson1
03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
So without TO, Steve Smith and Chad Johnson celebrating the NFL and all of football would be a boring product? Come on now buddy.

West22
03-30-2006, 10:34 PM
I THINK THAT TO CELEBRATE IS PART OF FOOTBALL OR ANY OTHER SPORT,WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHEN I HAVE SEEN DALLAS PLAYERS DO THEIR JIRATIONS WHEN THEY ARE GETTING THEIR BUTS BEAT.HOW DOES A TEAM CELEBRATE WHEN THE TEAM AS A WHOLE IS PLAYING TERRIBLE ???

bullfrog_alumni_02
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by West22
I THINK THAT TO CELEBRATE IS PART OF FOOTBALL OR ANY OTHER SPORT,WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND IS WHEN I HAVE SEEN DALLAS PLAYERS DO THEIR JIRATIONS WHEN THEY ARE GETTING THEIR BUTS BEAT.HOW DOES A TEAM CELEBRATE WHEN THE TEAM AS A WHOLE IS PLAYING TERRIBLE ??? i dont think any of us can honestly answer that question...since we arent affiliated with the team directly

Emerson1
03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
I having nothing against spiking the ball or something like the lambo leap. It's the pre-planned dances that take 20 second to do that are stupid.

and there is no way that 5 our of 15 randomley chosed women would tune into an entire football game just to see Chad Johnson river dance.

Matthew328
03-31-2006, 12:07 AM
personally i don't think the celebrations hurt anything....they are pretty funny if you ask me...when Chad Johnson took the pylon and took a putt that was hilarious...ohh well I am sure the players will figure out something to still have a funny end zone celebration..