PDA

View Full Version : Update on Cuero Track

crabman
03-29-2006, 10:22 PM
53rd Gobbler Relays Saturday

by Glenn Rea, Record Editor
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:49 AM CST

Six schools have committed to compete at the Jack Adcock Gobbler Relays Saturday. Field events are set to start at 9 a.m. at Gobbler Stadium. This is the 53rd year for the Gobbler Relays.

There is a strong possibility this year's relays will moved to Yorktown because repairs to Cuero's track may not be finished in time. However, that decision will likely be made after press time.

Gobbler track coach Victor Mathis reports the schools competing in the boys division include Skidmore-Tynan, Yoakum, Bastrop, Gonzales, Mathis, and Shiner.

Cuero is expected to repeat as champions of their own meet. The Gobblers have already taken four first place meet trophies since the season begin.

Looking at track leaders in south central Texas, Cuero has team members in the top three of seven events. In the immediate area, Gobblers can be seen in the top three of nine different events.

Coach Mathis, named track coach of the year for this area last year, is familiar with the talent he sees each day. Three of the young men on this year's team helped Cuero win state in 3A track last May. The Gobblers grabbed three gold medals plus the overall championship.

As talented as this group is, their accomplishments are even more impressive considering they basically have been training at other facilities while the CHS track has either been in disrepair or under construction.

Work on the track is expected to be complete by the start of the Gobbler Relays. If it isn't Coach Mathis expects the relays to be moved to Yorktown.

“They say they should be through Monday or Tuesday but it is supposed to rain,” he said, “so we have to wait and see.”

Coach Mathis has been taking his team to Yorktown to workout three to four days a week since the season began.

He had similar problems last year because the track needed repairs. “Last year we had to run on the grass because of the track problems,” he said. But not having use of the track may have more affect on field events than sprinters.

“Because our times are so fast,” Mathis said, “we have to cut our workout times because you don't want to peak too soon.”

The district meet is two weeks off and the regional meet is at the end of April. But the Gobblers have already posted some fast times.

“We ran our state final time (41.41 in the 400m relay) at our second meet,” Mathis said, “and that was running against 5A schools.”

“Our fastest time in the 800m relay is 1:27.78 which is very fast for this early,” he noted. Cuero's gold winning time at state last year was 1:26.69.

Mathis hopes his sprint relay team will break the CHS school record of 41.12 at the Gobbler Relays. “Hopefully we will beat that and be in the 40's baring any injuries or mistakes,” he said.

Also the Gobblers are fairly deep in talent. “What's amazing is we have to have runoffs just to see who's on the relays,” Mathis said. “That puts a smile on your face no matter what classification you're in.”

Going into the Gobbler Relays, here are the Cuero boys leading the area in their event:

€Kaeron Johnson, discus, 157-3 (Gobbler84)

€Avery Sheppard, high jump, 6-8 (sirsnagsalot)

€400m relay - Fabian Olguin, Stefon Hargrove, Corey Scott, Brandon James, 41.41

€Avery Sheppard, 110m hurdles, 14.90

€Hargrove, 100m dash, 10.54

€James, 200m dash, 21.59

€800m relay - Domingo Ruiz, Scott, Hargrove, James, 1:27.78

€Brent Jemelka, 300m hurdles, 38.93

€1600m relay - Courtney Williams, Brent Johnson, Ruiz, James, 3:24.97.

Schedule:

8 a.m. - coaches and workers meeting

8:45 a.m. - 3200m run, all divisions

Girls prelims - immediately after 3200m run

9 a.m. - boys field events begin

11:15 a.m. - girls field events begin, boys prelims

1:15 p.m. - lunch

2:30 p.m. - running finals (or 1 hour after prelims)

injuredinmelee
03-29-2006, 10:55 PM
just for my own personal knowledge was this article written for the school paper by a student?

BMOC
03-29-2006, 11:06 PM
The GREEN is back
and burnin' up the track.
(Literally)

neck_94
03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
I saw those turkeys at the sweeny meet,...

and let me tell you, they are AS ADVERTISED.

44INAROW
03-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Fingers crossed that we'll be able to have Gobbler Relays at Gobbler Stadium on Saturday.. The weather cooperated and allowed the striping to be done on Weds and the surveyor was there before 8AM today to make sure everything is official - I am sure Friday will be a busy day getting all the details ironed out.

Johnny Utah
03-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Our times are soooooo fast we have to cut down our workouts!!! Wow!!! Must be nice to have that type of speed problem.

Hupernikomen
03-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Those are some really nice numbers. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cuero double 2nd place at the State meet this year.

Old Green
03-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Fingers crossed that we'll be able to have Gobbler Relays at Gobbler Stadium on Saturday.. The weather cooperated and allowed the striping to be done on Weds and the surveyor was there before 8AM today to make sure everything is official - I am sure Friday will be a busy day getting all the details ironed out. Did the track pass inspection?:confused:

Old Green
03-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Did the track pass inspection?:confused: I passed by the track a little while ago. The surveyors were still working on it. It looks good though.

Gobbla2001
03-31-2006, 01:28 PM
I passed by the track a little while ago. The surveyors were still working on it. It looks good though.

I think what's taking so long is the cooling system that is being placed under the track... when Cuero runs on the track it heats up WAY over the temperature the track can withstand... so they decided to go with a cooling system to save more money in the longrun, no punn intended

44INAROW
03-31-2006, 02:51 PM
I passed by the track a little while ago. The surveyors were still working on it. It looks good though.

I think they'll get it done by tonight...... weather is cooperating and it looks to be a nice one tomorrow too :)

Macarthur
03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
who cares about Gobbler track!

;)

sicem74
03-31-2006, 03:40 PM
wow gobbler84 throws the disc wow is he a jr or senior

Old Green
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
wow gobbler84 throws the disc wow is he a jr or senior sophomore

44INAROW
04-01-2006, 07:15 PM
We had the track meet @ Gobbler Stadium on the brand new track (that not even Cuero had run on yet) and it went off without a hitch (and without several Varsity runners who either had food poisoning or a bad virus and some with minor injuries (praying minor anyway) We had some JV runners move up to run the relays with Varsity (due to other's illness etc) and they did GREAT jobs......

Cuero Boys won the Varsity Boys Division -

Avery Sheppard won HIGH POINT honors with 35 - (Sirsnangsalot)

Kaeron Johnson (Gobbler84) won the Discus

Cuero boys won all 3 Relays, both Hurdles, 100M dash, Discus, High Jump and otherfield events

Bastrop Varsity Girls, JV Boys and JV Girls won their divisions.. LOTS of speed and #'s for Bastrop.

Cuero JV Boys, JV Girls and Varsity Girls all came in 2nd in their divisions...... Nice showing

gobbler grad
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
just asking, but was the 100m. run in or around 10.4...hoping it was that Hargrove kid, too...guess we may have to wait til morning to read paper...:(

44INAROW
04-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
just asking, but was the 100m. run in or around 10.4...hoping it was that Hargrove kid, too...guess we may have to wait til morning to read paper...:(

I think it was 10.5 but I am not sure.... yes, it was Stefon.....

Highschoolfan78
04-02-2006, 02:11 AM
i think it was 10.56 but im not sure

gobbler84
04-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Hargroves official time was a 10.56.

Desmand Patton (Freshman), also of Cuero, got second in discus with a throw of 151'11

Jemelka leads the area in the 300 hurdles and has a great chance at going to state, but does anyone know why he scratched out of the finals?

44INAROW
04-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by gobbler84

Desmand Patton (Freshman), also of Cuero, got second in discus with a throw of 151'11

Jemelka leads the area in the 300 hurdles and has a great chance at going to state, but does anyone know why he scratched out of the finals?

I wondered that myself.........

Old Green
04-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Jemelka leads the area in the 300 hurdles and has a great chance at going to state, but does anyone know why he scratched out of the finals? I see that you increased your discus throw. 161-4. Keep up the good work.:clap:

lostaussie
04-02-2006, 12:24 PM
freshmen and sophs dominating in the discus. thats awesome. what ya'll feeding them guys down there? looks to be a long run of success for cuero track and field.

gobbler84
04-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I wondered that myself.........

Found out a couple of things for us Low Low!! BJ Melka didn't run the 300 hurdles be cause of groin problems! That makes him the 4th person this year! J.Reese is sick...got released from the hospital yesterday and is doing a lot better!

44INAROW
04-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Found out a couple of things for us Low Low!! BJ Melka didn't run the 300 hurdles be cause of groin problems! That makes him the 4th person this year! J.Reese is sick...got released from the hospital yesterday and is doing a lot better!

Thank you for the info KJ - sure hope B Melka is back ASAP as well as the others.

punt
04-03-2006, 01:33 PM
You can now see the results from the PVAMU meet on texastrack.com. Hempstead came in third overall and was the only 3A school at the meet.

They dropped the baton in the 4x100 so no time there. They did run a 41.48 the week before at Columbus.

Hope all the kids stay healthy and we can see Cuero against Hempstead at the state meet.

44INAROW
04-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by punt
You can now see the results from the PVAMU meet on texastrack.com. Hempstead came in third overall and was the only 3A school at the meet.

They dropped the baton in the 4x100 so no time there. They did run a 41.48 the week before at Columbus.

Hope all the kids stay healthy and we can see Cuero against Hempstead at the state meet.

Isn't it heart-wrenching when they drop the baton? OMG.. our Varsity Girls were running with last-minute runner substitutions in the sprint relay on Saturday and the baton was dropped on the last exchange and we were in 1st at that time. Oh well, seems it happens to all good teams at least once a year, so hopefully we have that behind us now :)

Jetlag
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by punt

Hope all the kids stay healthy and we can see Cuero against Hempstead at the state meet. Cuero is a storied program and deservedly so. I can imagine how those young men felt last year at the state meet. It has been a very long time coming for athletic success in Hempstead, other than basketball. Not, that the talent wasn't always there. Those young men are very humble with what they are achieving. They deserve every bit of it. Do you remember the movie "A FEW GOOD MEN"? Well it took a few good men to come to Hempstead (Ricky Sargent, Royce Hill, and Andre Crumedy) and work with our kids. Allow them to believe in themselves and realize that all thing are possible through hard work.

RdaleBoi08
04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
So Cuero Is Not Goin To The Texas Relays?...Thats a Shock

44INAROW
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by RdaleBoi08
So Cuero Is Not Goin To The Texas Relays?...Thats a Shock

hhmm I thought some were going...... not sure though, I'll check on that in the morning....

Gobbler Fan
04-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Cuero is not going to the Texas Relay's---they have the times to go but it is on the weekend of the 8th and our Distric Meet is on the 11'thand 12'th. Gotta be fresh for Distric ;)

gobbler84
04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Cuero is not going to the Texas Relay's---they have the times to go but it is on the weekend of the 8th and our Distric Meet is on the 11'thand 12'th. Gotta be fresh for Distric ;)

Also it's CHS prom!!