PDA

View Full Version : Davis brings football skills to basketball court

Cameron Crazy
03-29-2006, 03:42 PM
The then-16-year-old Davis, who checked in at 359 pounds at the time, got his massive frame in motion three consecutive times, sprinted 40 yards on grass and shocked everyone in attendance when did it in less than five seconds. It was phenomenal," LSU offensive coordinator Fisher recalled. "He ran a 4.9 three straight times. We couldn't believe what we were seeing."

According to one NFL scout, the average time for someone Davis' size is about 5.3 seconds.

"Ain't no doubt he'd be in the NFL if he had stuck with football," added Fisher. "I'd say he'd be a Hall of Fame left tackle or defensive lineman. You couldn't recruit a guy any better. He's that athletic."

But we'll never know since Davis shocked many when he gave up the sport prior to his senior season at University High in Baton Rouge after rushing for nearly 1,000 yards in his junior campaign.

Was he too big of a baby for the NFL?

"I just didn't have the same passion for football that I had for basketball," Davis said.

"In terms of Glen's legacy around here, he'll always be short-changed by people because he didn't play football," said his former basketball coach at University High, Ari Fisher. "Our school is a football school."

Davis was such a dominant force on the gridiron that parents of the opposing players used to leave the game in frustration and also in fear of what he could do to their kids.

"Glen is one of those rare athletes that comes along once every 20 years," said Dallas Cowboys defensive end and Baton Rouge native Marcus Spears, who was also a standout basketball player. "I just don't think he had the mindset to play football, though. I don't think he wants to play."

As you watch Davis run the court with amazing grace, agility and body control for someone his size, it's easy to fathom Big Baby rumbling downfield to pave the way for a running back or take out a defensive back. What's harder to imagine is that Davis played just about everywhere back in high school — tailback, tight end, offensive lineman, defensive lineman and even linebacker.

"When he was at our camp, he was playing some quarterback and shaking them," Fisher said. "We'd sit there and watch in amazement because he was so phenomenal athletically. He's as athletic as the little guys and the big guys can't stop him because of his quickness. He's got it all."