PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk football

wedo
03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Lets talk about football. Is there any news about anything out there?

District303aPastPlayer
03-29-2006, 10:34 AM
umm hello junior... read ALLLLLLLLLL the GJ Kinne threads..

LH Panther Mom
03-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Nothing definite yet, but there's a possibility that we'll have a QB change next season. :)

wedo
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
LH Panther MOM what school are you talking about?

mrescape43
03-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Snyder is going to have a Qback and backfield that consists of Jrs and all over 6' tall and probably all will be over 200# by fall.

Adidas410s
03-29-2006, 10:39 AM
I've moved to a "foreign land" in terms of me having any in-depth football knowledge. The only thing football related that I see is the Cedar Hill Longhorns stadium when I'm driving to and leaving work each day! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
03-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by wedo
LH Panther MOM what school are you talking about?
Liberty Hill

Bullaholic
03-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Bridgeport's QB, Ryan Durban, "hung" a cleat in a baseball game and broke his leg about 3 weeks ago. He has undergone surgery, and should be up and "throwing" by May. He should be fine in time for the season.

mrescape43
03-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Bridgeport's QB, Ryan Durban, "hung" a cleat in a baseball game and broke his leg about 3 weeks ago. He has undergone surgery, and should be up and "throwing" by May. He should be fine in time for the season.

I hope rehab goes well for him and he is 100% when this is over!

Adidas410s
03-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

OUCH!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

wedo
03-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Man that sucks!! I broke my leg right before my soph year and missed the whole season. i was just glad that i wasn't a senior. i feel his pain.

Bullaholic
03-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Thanks all for the well wishes. Ryan is a good kid with a lot of "spirit". He is the epitome of the "Little Engine That Could" story. Not too big, not too fast, but tough kid who "earned" his spurs, got knocked down a lot every year but "hung" in there and threw for 3583 yards last season.

wos fan1
03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
156 Days until kickoff! :mad:

SWMustang
03-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Lets talk about football. Is there any news about anything out there?

Sweetwater is good

wedo
03-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Sweetwater is good.

What was Sweetwater's record last year?

SWMustang
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
13-2

wedo
03-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Do yall have a lot coming back this year? 13-2 is damn good!!

Who did yall lose to?

injuredinmelee
03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
Sweetwater will be LOADED!!! It will be interesting to watch them. They get their rbs back who both tore it up last fall. They lost to Wylie and Tatum last year.

SWMustang
03-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Do yall have a lot coming back this year? 13-2 is damn good!!

Who did yall lose to?

3a DII State Champion Tatum - in the Semis of the playoffs and Abilene Wylie in our district. We're pretty loaded in the skill positions, but the o line and d-lines will have to be rebuilt. They should have a competitive team this year.

wedo
03-30-2006, 02:03 PM
How high do yall think Sweetwater will be in the preseason rankings?

Macarthur
03-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
13-2

Should have lost to IP. Damn, I'm still bitter about that one.

;)

injuredinmelee
03-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Iowa Park had that game in hand. I dont remember the particulars but I thought they had it won. It was well worth the drive to Stephenville for me.

smustangs
03-30-2006, 02:35 PM
i wouldnt be suprised to see sweetwater in the top 10 at all in this years pre-season polls

SWMustang
03-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

;)

I agree. Looked like IP thought the game was over with 4 minutes left to play.

smustangs
03-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I agree. Looked like IP thought the game was over with 4 minutes left to play.

haha do u blame em' we couldnt really do ne thing with the ball and they were pretty dominate all game long but u cant quit till the 48 minute buzzer rings

STANG RED
03-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur

;)

As well you should be! But you have to hand it to the Sweetwater players and coaches for not giving up, even when it looked like the game was out of reach. For them to come back and score 21 unanswered points in the last couple of minutes of the game was an incredable feat, you have to admit.
Momentum is a funny thing! Once it swings, sometimes its impossible to get it back.
You are correct though, IP should have won that game.

injuredinmelee
03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
you are right props to Sweetwater for the big comeback.

STANG RED
03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
For those who dont know the whole story on the Sweetwater vs. Iowa Park game. Here is the story. It was a 14 point come back victory, as opposed to 21, as I reported earlier. Sorry about that. But it was 3 unanswered TDs, including overtime.

Mustangs pull out miracle victory

By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor
STEPHENVILLE - It's said that great teams make great plays to win big games.

And while Sweetwater was anything but great for much of Friday's Class 3A, Division II regional playoff, the Mustangs got one great play after another down the stretch to pull off one of the most exciting playoff wins in school history.

A 1-yard run by quarterback Kendal Carrillo in overtime capped an incredible comeback from a 14-point deficit midway through the fourth quar-ter as Sweetwater defeated Iowa Park, 27-21, to advance to the state quarterfinals for the second straight year. The Mustangs (12-1) now face ei-ther Monahans or Bridgeport, who held their regional playoff on Saturday at Mustang Bowl. Complete details will be in Monday's paper.

Sweetwater found itself trailing 21-7 when Iowa Park's Drew Fulfer caught a 23-yard touch-down pass from quarterback Dustin Riley with 6:34 left in the fourth period. And though there was still time left for a comeback, it didn't ap-pear likely that the Mustangs could pull one off because they had been dominated by the Hawks in the second half.

Iowa Park (6-6), after all, had scored 21 un-answered points after trailing 7-0 at halftime.

But someone forgot to tell the Mustangs they didn't have a chance. With time running out on their season, they quickly set out to rescue it with a series of memorable plays that sent the game into overtime - and ultimately resulted in a sen-sational, dramatic win.

The comeback started with a 57-yard pass by starting quarterback Sonny Birdwell to Joseph Banyard that brought Sweetwater within seven, 21-14, with 5:17 to play.

“Everyone was pretty down, but that got us back in the game,” said Birdwell, who also com-pleted a 4-yard scoring pass to Banyard right be-fore halftime to give Sweetwater its 7-0 lead. “It changed the momentum.”

The defense then came to life, forcing a quick three-and-out and getting the ball back to the offense with 3:18 left. However, Iowa Park's de-fense also rose up and forced a three-and-out by the Mustangs to regain possession with just 2:21 to play.

The Hawks started at their 42 and got to the Sweetwater 49 on a pair of running plays, setting up third-and-1 - and putting themselves in po-sition to deliver the knockout punch.

But fate was on the Mustangs' side. Iowa Park was flagged for consecutive procedure penalties to make it third-and-11, and a fumbled snap and 3-yard loss forced the Hawks to kick it away. The punt went just 16 yards, giving Sweetwater yet another chance starting at its 46 with 1:20 left.

The Mustangs turned once again to Banyard, who gained 39 yards on three running plays to move it to Iowa Park's 15 with :51 showing. Skye Green gained seven yards to the 8, but then the drive stalled. Carrillo was held to a 1-yard gain on a third-and-3 run, but got out of bounds to stop the clock with just 12 seconds to play.

Then on fourth-and-2 at the 7, Carrillo rolled out and threw a strike to his tight end, Russell Clayton, in the end zone to pull Sweetwater within 21-20. That put the Mustangs - and kicker Parker Morrow in particular - in the very same situation they had faced the previous year in a heartbreaking 21-20 quarterfinal loss to Snyder. But this time, Morrow connected on the extra point to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Morrow said he didn't feel as much pressure this time. “We kept our heads up,” he said.

“It was the exact same situation as last year, but we pulled it off this time. I couldn't have done it without everyone doing their part.”

The touchdown pass to Clay-ton came on a fake bootleg.

“We'd called it before and it didn't go so well,” he said. “It was by far the biggest catch of my career.”

Iowa Park got the ball to start the overtime, but Riley's third-down pass was intercepted by Justin Adames to set the stage for Carrillo's game-winner.

Sweetwater was facing third-and-10 from the 25 when Car-rillo tip-toed down the sideline for a 16-yard gain to the 9. Ban-yard carried it to the 1, and two plays later Carrillo was able to sneak it over for the TD and set off a joyous celebration.

“It was just a gut check,” said head coach Kent Jackson, who like many of his players and fel-low coaches was quite emotion-al afterward. “A lot of people thought it was over - but I guarantee you no one (wearing) red suits did.

“When we had to have a stop in the second half, we did and the offense sputtered, but it came through at the end. (Of-fensive coordinator Al) Hunt made some huge calls. The catch by Russell was clutch. It was just player after player doing it from Sonny's pass to Joseph, to Kendal's sideline run to Justin's interception. I'll tell you, this is what the playoffs are supposed to be about. It's as emotional as any win I've had.”

For all the scoring in the se-cond half and overtime, it was a defensive battle in the first two periods. The teams were score-less until Birdwell's first touch-down pass to Banyard with :05 left in the half which capped a 15-play, 70-yard drive. Banyard finished with 114 yards rushing and another 61 receiving.

Incredibly, the last six plays came after Sweetwater had reached the 3 - helped by the fact that the Mustangs got first-and-goal inside the 1.

Prior to the touchdown, Iowa Park had a 15-play drive of its own that took nearly seven mi-nutes off the clock but wound up with no points. It started at the Hawks' 1-yard line, and got all the way to Sweetwater's 15 before stalling.

The Mustangs wasted a good chance to score near the end of the first quarter. The problems started when an apparent 30-yard touchdown run by Green was called back due to a holding penalty, and led to Carrillo's 32-yard punt that pinned Iowa Park at its 1.