PDA

View Full Version : So long, Sooners

Cameron Crazy
03-29-2006, 10:19 AM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana will hire Kelvin Sampson as its next basketball coach, delivering him from an Oklahoma team under investigation for possible recruiting violations to lead one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

Sampson broke the news to his Sooner team Tuesday. Indiana players were also informed, one of the Hoosier players' relatives told The Associated Press.

Details were being worked out Tuesday afternoon, and the deal was expected to be announced shortly, said a person close to the talks who requested anonymity because negotiations were ongoing. No news conference was scheduled.

"I was caught by surprise a little bit," said Taylor Griffin, a freshman forward for the Sooners. "He made the decision. I guess it's better for the program. I guess it's better for him."

The 50-year-old Sampson, AP's Coach of the Year in 1995, will replace Mike Davis, who announced last month he was resigning. Davis went 115-79 in six seasons as head coach, was the first Indiana coach to win 20 games in each of his first three seasons and led the Hoosiers to the national championship game in 2002, two seasons after Bob Knight was fired.

The Hoosiers were 19-12 this year and reached the second round of the NCAA tournament, where they lost to Gonzaga.

Stephanie Gilbert, who help raised nephew A.J. Ratliff in Indianapolis, said the Hoosiers' sophomore guard called her Tuesday to discuss the change, first reported by ESPN. Gilbert also said it was likely Ratliff would stay at Indiana.

"He's looking forward to meeting him and getting to know him," Gilbert said. "He seems pretty happy."

Ratliff initially declined to comment, denying that a team meeting was held. Later, he appeared to confirm Sampson's hiring to television crews in Bloomington.

"He's shown that he's a good coach by what he's done at Oklahoma," Ratliff said. "You've got to give him a chance. He's shown that he can win at Oklahoma, so I think he can come here and do the same."

Two other key Indiana players had said after Davis resigned that they were apt to transfer: D.J. White, the 2005 Big Ten freshman of the year, and Robert Vaden.

Gilbert said Sampson's hiring could change their minds.

"Once they meet with him, they'll probably need to see," Gilbert said. "I think, from the looks of it, they have a pretty good coach on their hands."

Oklahoma officials declined to comment Tuesday. Telephone messages left for Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan and spokesman Pete Rhoda were not immediately returned.

Sampson leaves Oklahoma behind amid an investigation for possible recruiting violations. The NCAA is looking into more than 550 impermissible phone calls to recruits by Sampson and his assistant coaches, and Oklahoma officials are scheduled to appear before an NCAA panel in Utah on April 21.

As part of their self-imposed sanctions, the Sooners froze Sampson's salary for a two-year period beginning in 2005 and restricted him from receiving any postseason bonuses. His recruiting was also heavily curtailed.

NCAA spokesman Erik Christiansen said it's up to the committee on infractions to determine whether any penalties would follow Sampson to Indiana.

"It's all dependent on what the sanctions are, the severity of the bylaw violations and ultimately it's up to them," Christiansen said.

Such a thing has happened before: For instance, former Ohio State assistant Paul Biancardi was prohibited from recruiting until October 2007 at his new job as coach of Wright State University in Dayton over recruiting violations under former Buckeye head coach Jim O'Brien. The sanctions prompted Biancardi's resignation from Wright State two weeks ago.

When he resigned, Davis said he believed Indiana needed a former Hoosier to unify the pro-Knight and anti-Knight factions. But Greenspan turned down the opportunity to lure Iowa's Steve Alford, a former All-American who led the Hoosiers to the 1987 national title.

"Certainly there were those persons who wanted a coach to come from the 'IU family,' but I did not detect that being the majority of the people," said Ken Beckley, president of the Indiana Alumni Association president. "Most wanted us to get the best coach available that we could afford."

Phil C
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
The NCAA needs to make a rule that a coach's sins follow him to whever he goes. For example if you are at School A and you break rules and get put on probation and penalties then if you take a job at School B your probation and panalties follow you. That way it is not just the innocent coaches and players at School A that have to suffer.

Bullaholic
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Now where is the Chief with the "skinny" on this? Stay tuned Sooner fans----maybe the Chief will return on "his" day---April 1. :D

Adidas410s
03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
the Chief will return on "his" day---April 1. :D

lol...that's going in the signature!

lepfan
03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The NCAA needs to make a rule that a coach's sins follow him to whever he goes. For example if you are at School A and you break rules and get put on probation and penalties then if you take a job at School B your probation and panalties follow you. That way it is not just the innocent coaches and players at School A that have to suffer. I totally agree....there are a lot of kids that have suffered because their coach bailed amid violations....I do hope that because the school is the one who spoke up and turned themselves in to the NCAA they will not be as hard on them...now that KS left...his new program should be the one to suffer!!!

JasperDog94
03-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The NCAA needs to make a rule that a coach's sins follow him to whever he goes. For example if you are at School A and you break rules and get put on probation and penalties then if you take a job at School B your probation and panalties follow you. That way it is not just the innocent coaches and players at School A that have to suffer. Word.:cool:

punt
03-29-2006, 09:54 PM
ou turned themselves in because they knew they were caught making recruiting violations. Can't believe IU would hire someone in trouble with the NCAA. We will see what happens at the hearing in April. Doubt that the IU fans will put up with a whiner who coaches dull offense very long.

lepfan
03-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by punt
ou turned themselves in because they knew they were caught making recruiting violations. NCAA officials did not know about this until OU officials called in(from what I have read)...grant it recruiting violations are recruiting violations...but these were phone calls...not like some schools violations (I will not name names or violations):rolleyes: