PDA

View Full Version : i need help

Ranger05
03-28-2006, 04:46 PM
I am currently looking into buying a new truck and im looking into gettin a diesel either an F-250 with a 7.3L V8 powerstroke or Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9L V6 Cummins and was wondering which was a better buy for those of you who have a diesel or have owned one. I am also curious what type of gas mileage these 2 get because i have had problems finding information on the fuel economy of these 2 vehicles. For those of you that have owned one or knows somebody who has owned what are some complaints that u might have heard as far owning a diesel.

Adidas410s
03-28-2006, 04:55 PM
for fuel economy info I would go to:

www.fueleconomy.gov

It's as good a rescource as you can find for EPA #'s on cars for the last 20 years or so...

clayton7
03-28-2006, 07:57 PM
The cummins is an inline 6 not a V6, but enough about that, I would go with the cummins. Ive had experience with them and I think its a better engine.

sinton66
03-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
I am currently looking into buying a new truck and im looking into gettin a diesel either an F-250 with a 7.3L V8 powerstroke or Dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9L V6 Cummins and was wondering which was a better buy for those of you who have a diesel or have owned one. I am also curious what type of gas mileage these 2 get because i have had problems finding information on the fuel economy of these 2 vehicles. For those of you that have owned one or knows somebody who has owned what are some complaints that u might have heard as far owning a diesel.

The latest Ford diesels are below Ford's standards from what I've heard. I talk with a bunch of Farmers and Ranchers down here, and most of them were solidly sold on the Power Stroke before this model. There is something about the new model that isn't quite right. I know one man who said he went through 3 engines in about 90k miles.

lepfan
03-28-2006, 08:57 PM
We are Ford people at our house....but, hubby is looking at buying a pick up in the next year and has decided to go with the Dodge....after his research. Last year at the fair they had a tractor pull....some decided to determine their manhood(actually it was the older men against the younger guys) by putting their truck out there....pulling a load the automatic Ford won in the quick start (not surprising)...in the long haul the standard tran. Dodge put them in their place.

I am not an expert...but have two in the family that just live for this kind of stuff (research of vehicles)....their vote of late has been Dodge Cummins
Those things are like the energizer bunny....they just keeep going and going....it seems they get broke in at about 100K miles.

SWMustang
03-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05

you're worried about fuel economy? Will you be pulling anything or is this just to get you back and forth to school?

Ranger05
03-29-2006, 07:35 PM
i'll be doin some farm work hauling round bails and cattle trailers. I also intend on traveling a lot anyways i'll be makin atleast one trip to tulsa a month and thats 550 miles one way so i want something that gets decent gas mileage but we be able to pull quite a bit of weight.

Cameron Crazy
03-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Get the diesel cummings...my dads friend has one and loves it and get a chip put into it.