PDA

View Full Version : how much is concrete a yard?

lostaussie
03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
any construction folks out there? anybody build anything lately? i got a guy coming to bid my driveway and i don't want to get my chain yanked.

STANG RED
03-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Get at least 3 bids. If you dont, at least tell the guy your getting a couple more bids. Just remember, low bid isnt always the best way to go. They may be cheaper because they do inferior work as well. Ask for references, and go look at some of his most recent work. If he is good, he wont mind giving references, or telling you where to go look at some of his former work.

lostaussie
03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Get at least 3 bids. If you dont, at least tell the guy your getting a couple more bids. Just remember, low bid isnt always the best way to go. They may be cheaper because they do inferior work as well. Ask for references, and go look at some of his most recent work. If he is good, he wont mind giving references, or telling you where to go look at some of his former work. very good advice. thanks much.

Ranger Mom
03-27-2006, 07:26 PM
With it being a driveway, it's gonna cost more than a normal "yard"...because you really want the concrete that is reinforced with the mesh.

We poured a patio not too long ago and had to make that decision also.

Most of our concrete work we do ourselves...but a 20' X 35' slab was too much work for just the two of us.

GetRDoneStangs
03-27-2006, 07:36 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Be sure and tell them " No beer until the job is done" ... well I don't know if that is a good thing..:thinking:

I did that and the slab in my shop is .....:flamingma :flamingma

AggieJohn
03-27-2006, 07:56 PM
i would do it myself

PPHSfan
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Finished flatwork should run you about three dollars and fifty cents a square foot. That's labor and material.

whtfbplaya
03-27-2006, 08:59 PM
When they start pouring the first truck, take a sample. About a cup full.

whtfbplaya
03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Some of our projects were 50 to 75 dollars a yard. Most trucks hold around 10 yards, short loads will run you around 20 to 30 more per yard. Our last project was 70 yards of concrete, and two loads of steel, took quite a while.

espn1
03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Probably 4 to 5 Bucks a square foot for flat work. Make sure your contrators are bidding Apples to Apples. What is your local code. Are they using Mesh or Rebar? What about expansion joints? Make sure they put in a couple of 2" chases in case you need to run irrigation or wire at a later date. You might need a 4" pipe for drainage next to the house. Make sure they drill holes into your slab and dowel in the rebar, before they tie the steel.

GreenMonster
03-27-2006, 10:24 PM
In my part of the state its running $115/yd with a 3 yard minimum for delivery. :eek:

whtfbplaya
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
In my part of the state its running $115/yd with a 3 yard minimum for delivery. :eek:

Wow that's high any better for larger loads?

mrescape43
03-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Wow, we are paying about $70 per yard with 2 yard minimum and I thought we were being gouged! :clap:

crabman
03-27-2006, 11:00 PM
The $3.50 per sf price in the earlier post is about right for a residential sub. Don't bother asking for workers comp insurance or general liability. They won't have it. Only the commercial guys will. A commercial guy would be right at $4.00.

Don't allow any mesh. Only rebar. #3 minimum. No more than 16" on center. The guys earlier post about doweling into the existing slab is a good one. It will keep your new slab from settling or heaving.

Don't let them put a sand cushion under the slab. Compact the subgrade and pour directly on it. If you need fill material, use base. Sand will wash out if you ever get water under it.

I'm a general contractor. PM me if you have any more questions.

Cameron Crazy
03-28-2006, 09:22 AM
In north texas its 3.50 a square foot