PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 10:52 AM
I get all excited about my new LCD or Plasma (probably LCD cuz it's not so freakin' huge!!!) TV this week...only to find out that HDTV isn't available in my complex!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: I freakin' live in North Dallas at the busiest intersection in the Metroplex...and HDTV isn't available??? *** mate??? DirectTV said it will be available "in a month or two" and Comcast is putting in lines in our complex so that I can switch over to them (don't even have DirectTV yet and already plan to drop their service) as soon as it's available because they will have HDTV. Heck with DirectTV and I can't even get a DVR box...I have to go buy my own!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

My only other question is does anybody know if I can still pick up all of the local channels that broadcast in HD as long as I have an integrated tuner and "CableCARD" built into my TV? I know I can find out this when I go to CC or BB tonight...but just thought I would ask our TV gurus out there!

Snyder_TigerFan
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

My only other question is does anybody know if I can still pick up all of the local channels that broadcast in HD as long as I have an integrated tuner and "CableCARD" built into my TV? I know I can find out this when I go to CC or BB tonight...but just thought I would ask our TV gurus out there!

My TV has a cablecard, and I can still receive the local channels (via antenna), I just have to switch the source to antenna. Unfortunetly, KTXS is the only local broadcaster that puts out a HD signal here in Abilene.

Rabbit'93
03-27-2006, 11:12 AM
I get all excited about my new LCD or Plasma (probably LCD cuz it's not so freakin' huge!!!) TV this week...only to find out that HDTV isn't available in my complex!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: I freakin' live in North Dallas at the busiest intersection in the Metroplex...and HDTV isn't available??? *** mate??? DirectTV said it will be available "in a month or two" and Comcast is putting in lines in our complex so that I can switch over to them (don't even have DirectTV yet and already plan to drop their service) as soon as it's available because they will have HDTV. Heck with DirectTV and I can't even get a DVR box...I have to go buy my own!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

To answer your last question...yes you can get "over the air" HD channels as long as you have an HD tuner in your TV. The "CableCard" is a card that is supplied by Comcast that takes the place of a standard cable box. The card maps itself to the cable co. channel plan and allows digital channels, HD channels, as well as premium channels show with out having a box. The only down side to having a cable card is yhat you don't get the interactive menu and you cannot get "Video On Demand". Check your PMs

Bullaholic
03-27-2006, 11:14 AM
Pssst....Adidas---Next time you decide to go "swimming".... make sure there is "water" in the pool. ;)

(Sorry--couldn't resist "poking" fun at you you a little. Hope you get everything squared away with your TV.)

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
To answer your last question...yes you can get "over the air" HD channels as long as you have an HD tuner in your TV. The "CableCard" is a card that is supplied by Comcast that takes the place of a standard cable box. The card maps itself to the cable co. channel plan and allows digital channels, HD channels, as well as premium channels show with out having a box. The only down side to having a cable card is yhat you don't get the interactive menu and you cannot get "Video On Demand". Check your PMs

So to clarify, I would be able to get all the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) in HD but I wouldn't be able to get the "cable channels" (ESPN, FoxNews, TNT, etc.) in HD unless DirectTV provides the HD service through their line. I think I've got that right. I'm pretty sure all the Dallas stations broadcast in HD too.

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Pssst....Adidas---Next time you decide to go "swimming".... make sure there is "water" in the pool. ;)

(Sorry--couldn't resist "poking" fun at you you a little. Hope you get everything squared away with your TV.)

Well I haven't bought the TV just yet. I'm probably going to this week...I was just looking over the edge but my vision is kind of hazy to see if there is any water in there! :p

Old Tiger
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Dish Network has a lot of HD channels

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Dish Network has a lot of HD channels

My complex requires that I carry $25,000 in renters insurance and put down a $5000 security deposit if I want to carry Dish Network and put a satellite on my balcony. That just wasn't gonna happen...

Rabbit'93
03-27-2006, 11:21 AM
So to clarify, I would be able to get all the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) in HD but I wouldn't be able to get the "cable channels" (ESPN, FoxNews, TNT, etc.) in HD unless DirectTV provides the HD service through their line. I think I've got that right. I'm pretty sure all the Dallas stations broadcast in HD too. You are correct!

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
You are correct!

and does the integrated HDTuner serve as my antenna or do I also need to buy an external antenna for my TV? Thanks again for all the advice. I'm taking a crash course in the HDTV world along with learning about 5 new software programs for my new job...it's quite fun!

Snyder_TigerFan
03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
and does the integrated HDTuner serve as my antenna or do I also need to buy an external antenna for my TV? Thanks again for all the advice. I'm taking a crash course in the HDTV world along with learning about 5 new software programs for my new job...it's quite fun!

You have to have an external antenna.

This is a pretty good site for using your antenna. If you enter your address, it will provide you a list of the Broadcasters in your area.

Antenna (http://www.antennaweb.org)

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
You have to have an external antenna.

This is a pretty good site for using your antenna. If you enter your address, it will provide you a list of the Broadcasters in your area.

Antenna (http://www.antennaweb.org)

So any special type of antenna that I might need? (I'm sure I sound like an idiot here)

neck_06
03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
that sucks mate........

JasperDog94
03-27-2006, 11:40 AM
My complex requires that I carry $25,000 in renters insurance and put down a $5000 security deposit if I want to carry Dish Network and put a satellite on my balcony. That just wasn't gonna happen... Why?

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Why?

Cuz they are probably in bed with DirectTV and that's their way of getting you to sign up with them instead. Out of the 300 or so apartments I have seen like 5 or 6 Dish Network satellites.

JasperDog94
03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
DirectTV sucks.

Adidas410s
03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
DirectTV sucks.

and I plan to switch as soon as Comcast is up and running in our complex...

Snyder_TigerFan
03-27-2006, 11:54 AM
So any special type of antenna that I might need? (I'm sure I sound like an idiot here)

Not at all, I'm still learning about it.

Most of the antennas that they are selling now are capable of receiving HD. When you are shopping for it, the box will say whether it is capable. It's the "round" antenna that receives the HD signal. Rabbit'93 can probably give you a better explanation on the antenna.

TMer25
03-27-2006, 12:06 PM
All antennas are capable of receiving HD signals over the air, I use a $10 antenna from Wal Mart on one of my sets. All you need is a TV with a built in tuner, or an external tuner box.

spiveyrat
03-27-2006, 12:31 PM
DirectTV sucks.

I beg to differ! With DirecTV, I am able to subscribe to the Outdoor Channel alone WITHOUT having to subscribe to a sports package full of channels I don't want (the way you have to with Dish). ;)