PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Buckeyes Thread (all others are welcome)

Buckeye80
03-25-2006, 10:19 PM
We should discuss this and get the opinions out there. What does it do to the team if Kinne is going to play? Does Jamell feel slighted? Does the team feel slighted? What if any comradery would the team have with Kinne? How does the offense change?

Buckeye80
03-25-2006, 10:24 PM
I think right off the bat, you have to look at how the offense is going to change. We would lose a substantial amount of "scramblability" at the QB position. I know the kid has got some wheels, but Jamell has got wings.
How is the timing going to be between QB and receivers he's never thrown to? There are alot of questions that I'm glad Jeff Traylor will be answering if this thing does happen.

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 12:01 PM
I say you stick to your starter... The QB is the most important position on the field... The guy you guys have now has been playing with the Gilmer boys for longer... they trust him more than they do a new kid... and if the new kid starts it goes to "What, your dad's banking coachin' college right now and you just get to do what you want and take over blah blah blah" and it just get out of hand with high school kids unless they don't like their current QB...

Plus, Kinne was in a different system, and playing for his dad... admit guys, you'd do a hell of a lot better job if you were playing under your dad than some new guy you've only known for 3 months, correct?

You just don't want to screw up the chemistry, man...

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 12:03 PM
And your signature, was is a request by the admin and coaching staff at Gilmer? "We gotta get this boy here, be nice to him..."

just kidding man, isn't even a Buckeye yet, you should have your current QB's name in there ha...

Buckeye80
03-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The guy you guys have now has been playing with the Gilmer boys for longer... they trust him more than they do a new kid... and if the new kid starts it goes to "What, your dad's banking coachin' college right now and you just get to do what you want and take over blah blah blah"

That's the biggest thing I'm worried about right now. How can we avoid animosity brewing among the kids toward this guy if he just "walks" into a starting QB spot?

I don't know......I don't know........nothing is definite.

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
That's the biggest thing I'm worried about right now. How can we avoid animosity brewing among the kids toward this guy if he just "walks" into a starting QB spot?

I don't know......I don't know........nothing is definite.

You gotta give the nod to the guy who has done the work for you... Kinne, though a great QB and I'm sure a great kid, has done nothing in or for Gilmer... it would be a total showing disrespect for your hometown kids...

I'm not saying you don't try the new guy out, hell, if he is infact a better QB with your kids and your system you may just have to go with him, but you gotta start out with your same guy...

eagles_victory
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I say you stick to your starter... The QB is the most important position on the field... The guy you guys have now has been playing with the Gilmer boys for longer... they trust him more than they do a new kid... and if the new kid starts it goes to "What, your dad's banking coachin' college right now and you just get to do what you want and take over blah blah blah" and it just get out of hand with high school kids unless they don't like their current QB...

Plus, Kinne was in a different system, and playing for his dad... admit guys, you'd do a hell of a lot better job if you were playing under your dad than some new guy you've only known for 3 months, correct?

You just don't want to screw up the chemistry, man... I think you make it a competiton but Kinne is going to be the quaterback for the first game if he moves to Gilmer. IMO hes not going to move to Gilmer not knowing if he is going to be QB or not. I think he knows he will be the starter. No disrespect to Gilmers current QB but G.J did outgun him last year with less weapons even though both guys played great. What classification is the current QB?

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I think you make it a competiton but Kinne is going to be the quaterback for the first game if he moves to Gilmer. IMO hes not going to move to Gilmer not knowing if he is going to be QB or not. I think he knows he will be the starter. No disrespect to Gilmers current QB but G.J did outgun him last year with less weapons even though both guys played great. What classification is the current QB?

Yah, but it's not just how many weapons you have, it's how many the other team has, and I'm not talking talent-wise... the defense for Canton could have just been a lot better to stop Gilmer, and Canton's offense could have been better designed to go up against Gilmer, hell, the guy coaching that team is at the college level now...

The fact is that Kinne has never played a down for Gilmer and a down for anyone other than his dad...

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Basically it's like being an American, working a good job and having an illegal alien come in and your boss giving him your job and putting you in a lesser one before ever knowing how the alien is going to perform at his "new" job...

That's not right...

nutcrackin
03-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Jamell, from the credible sources that i have, was sat down and told about the "possible" enrollment of G.J. Kinne after being home schooled and not transfering. Jamell is being recruited by K-State along with others as a DB because he is 6' 170 lbs with legit 4.4 speed. He and Traylor discussed his options, both at QB and DB/WR, as a senior and he will be heavily involved in the offense and defense. But with G.J. as the Qb, you gain a replacement for Darden who graduated and was our leading WR in terms of yards and our top KR/PR. So Jamell would fill that void and your adding a D-1 caliber QB. It is almost like getting 2 outstanding new starters this way instead of one. G.J. also had over 1,000 yds rushing last season although against Gilmer he didn't need to run much because he threw for nearly 400 yds. His Jr. season stats resembled Manuel's in 2004 with 2 less games. He accounted for somewhere around 60 TD last season. It should be a fun offense next season. 1 more observation I noticed last season was the change in the offense from 04' to 05' in terms to WR route running to suit the strengths of the QB's. In 04' is was a much more down-the-field passing game "at will" because of arm strength versus last season when we passed deep only after the safeties were up because of our running game. I believe the offense will be less predictable next season and look for Jamell to be a human highlight reel along with UT recruit Curtis Brown. Just think back to the run Jamell made against Canton last year as the 1st half expired. That was the most amazing run i have seen in high school even though it the score didn't count because of an offensive penalty. Now, i think we will see that kind of talent on display many times a game with only 1 or 2 guys with a chance to tackle him versus the whole front 7 of the defense. Exciting times and in the words of T.O. " Get your popcorn ready"...IMO of course.

oh well
03-26-2006, 02:20 PM
When Kendal enrolled at Frenship eveyone on the outside had the same concerns. In fact what to do with the QB that was penciled in so to speak. Look what happend Thomas took the role of reciever/TE and then went to Texas 2 years later.

I am sure and have watched coach Traylor the chemistry will be there and the team will benefit. It will be interesting to see who all is throwing stones though. It will be exciting as well

Buckeye80
03-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
No disrespect to Gilmers current QB but G.J did outgun him last year with less weapons even though both guys played great.
I'm not sure that is an entirely accurate statement. I don't know if in a 61-58 game (outside of the Arena League), one QB can outgun the other.
In the game last year, Canton was a "one dimensional" team, throwing almost every play. Though Gilmer also threw the ball the majority of the time, our running game gave us some yards and scoring.
I think the big difference between the teams in the game last year was the defensive scheme that the Buckeyes employed, opting to "man up" for the entire game. With as accurate and powerful an arm as Kinne has, he really burned our defense. But I think Jamell accounted for himself equally well in that game.

JMHO

Buckeye80
03-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Jamell is being recruited by K-State along with others as a DB because he is 6' 170 lbs with legit 4.4 speed. He and Traylor discussed his options, both at QB and DB/WR, as a senior and he will be heavily involved in the offense and defense.

One of the positives that I'm taking away from this (if it does happen) is that Jamell will be able to focus on the position he'll be playing at the next level.
Let's face facts. He won't go to a major college as a QB. But he'll be one mean DB/KR!

gtownpoke
03-26-2006, 10:42 PM
buckeye80 - you hit it on that last point. if anything this will help jamell out a LOT because he will be able to focus on the position he will play in college and big schools will be able to see what he brings to the table at that position.

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 10:51 PM
That is a very good point when saying the current QB could focus on the skills he'd be using at the next level...

But let's rememeber, one of the biggest parts of being in the roll of an AD or HC is to set an example, to teach the kids... What kind of message would it send to the kids?

"Screw being loyal to your brothers, go for what better suits you!!!" is the message that would be sent to these high school kids...

Gobbla2001
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
That is a very good point when saying the current QB could focus on the skills he'd be using at the next level...

But let's rememeber, one of the biggest parts of being in the roll of an AD or HC is to set an example, to teach the kids... What kind of message would it send to the kids?

"Screw being loyal to your brothers, go for what better suits you!!!" is the message that would be sent to these high school kids...

Let me rephrase this before further drama grows... I am not saying the coach is fine with this message being sent and am not saying every kid on the team would see it this way... just saying that most of these kids, if they were like the rest of us back then, would take that as an appropriate thing to do... athletes look up to the coaches a lot and they know it... set examples here...