PDA

View Full Version : gillespie offered 1 million to stay

AggieJohn
03-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Gillispie offered $1 million extra

One-time bonus requires 6-year stay

By JOSH BAUGH
Eagle Staff Writer

Texas A&M men's basketball coach Billy Gillispie had a $1 million bonus added to his contract Friday, contingent upon his staying in College Station for six more years.

The amended contract was unanimously approved by the A&M system Board of Regents.

"He has six years remaining on his contract," Regent Bill Jones said. "What our action today did is, at the end of that contract term - if he satisfies the conditions of the contract ... he will get a $1 million bonus. There was no other change made to the contractual terms."

The action Friday extinguished speculation that Gillispie would get a pay raise to match the $1.3 million salary of Rick Barnes, head basketball coach for the University of Texas.

"This is not the meeting that we would do that," Jones said.

A&M athletics director Bill Byrne reviews salaries in his department in April and May and then makes recommendations for raises to university President Robert Gates.

"I haven't talked to the athletic director about that, but he'll be making that decision whether to recommend that to me or not," Gates said late Friday. "It has not been discussed at all with me."

Gillispie currently makes $930,000 in annual compensation, supplemental payments and a housing allowance. The university also provides him with a vehicle, a membership to a country club and other benefits.

His salary, along with those of other officials in the athletic department, is paid with revenue from A&M athletics, such as ticket sales. No student tuition and fees or state funding is used to compensate athletic department staff.

Rumors have circulated on the Internet that Gillispie is being wooed by other major universities, including Missouri and Indiana, and that a pay raise would keep him from leaving.

Jones said that while he didn't believe the impetus behind adding the $1 million bonus to Gillispie's contract was because of rumors, it does make it more difficult - or, at least, more expensive - for other universities to hire the coach away.

Byrne said through a spokesman that "coach Billy Gillispie is committed to our players, our coaching staff and Texas A&M University, and Texas A&M is committed to coach Billy Gillispie."

Gillispie referred to Byrne's statement when asked about the Missouri and Indiana openings at a basketball function Friday.

The coach and his team, along with the other major sports programs at A&M, are often a window into the university, Gates said.

"Much of the public has its first glimpse into what a university is about through athletics, and we want that look to be as our slogan goes: building champions," he said.

Aggie basketball - both the men's and women's teams - has garnered national publicity this season. A&M was the only Texas university that sent both its teams to the NCAA Tournament, Gates said, applauding Gillispie and Gary Blair, the women's head coach.

"His success and Gary Blair's success was a big deal," Gates said. "Both of these men are prized assets. Because of circumstances, we were particularly concerned about predators from elsewhere and felt that we needed to take some action."

The regents did not discuss Blair's contract this week.

Jones also praised the athletic department.

"I've got to tell you, when both basketball teams were invited to the NCAA championship games, that's very impressive," he said. "That means somebody is doing something right. A number of people are doing things right - players, coaches and administrators."

Gillispie has had a successful run at A&M. He inherited a team in 2004 that had lost every game in conference play and finished 7-21 overall. But in his first season at A&M (2004-05), Gillispie led the Aggies to a 21-10 record, earning Big 12 Coach of the Year honors and taking A&M to its first postseason tournament (NIT) in 10 seasons.

And Gillispie, 46, built on that success this season, leading A&M to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1987. The successful season has made him attractive to other programs.

"I think it's probably no secret that right at the end of a season like this, other universities are on the prowl for very high-quality coaches," Gates said.

"We wanted to make clear to Billy the depth of our commitment to him and the importance we attach to him continuing as our men's basketball coach."

Cameron Crazy
03-25-2006, 12:20 PM
He has turned that program around and they need him to stay!

kaorder1999
03-25-2006, 12:23 PM
he'll be gone....

Cameron Crazy
03-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Idk maybe...would you rather coach in the Big 12 or Big ten

lostaussie
03-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
he'll be gone.... i don't think so. texas boy inside out. it gets cold up north.

big daddy russ
03-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey John, you seen their plans for Reed? They're saying that the additions will make it the nicest college basketball facility in the world. Modeling it after the Mavs' locker room (TV screens at each locker, etc.) and facilities.

Bulldog_12
03-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Hey John, you seen their plans for Reed? They're saying that the additions will make it the nicest college basketball facility in the world. Modeling it after the Mavs' locker room (TV screens at each locker, etc.) and facilities.

I have seen the plans and they are gorgeous. It also includes two practice gyms in the plans, this coupled with the new scoreboard, and ribbon boards will definately make Reed a premier basketball arena and A&M's program a little more noticeable to recruits.

PhiI C
03-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Money talks and that is a good reason to stay. I would be happy if I could have got 1/10 of that bonus after ten years. :)

Emerson1
03-25-2006, 11:04 PM
They should of used the money to buy a new football coach.

PhiI C
03-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They should of used the money to buy a new football coach.

:D

Of course College Station may be becoming a basketball and women's soccer town.