PDA

View Full Version : Classroom help....

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Someone I know has a discussion on the following questions & would like your input to compare to the answers given in the classroom. All opinions are welcome. :)

1. What is the difference between a dating realtionship and marriage?

2. Why do 60% of all teen marriages end in divorce?

3. What is your definition of INTEGRITY and what is its value in a relationship?

turbostud
03-23-2006, 10:12 AM
1. Dating means you are free to go out with whoever you want. Marriage means you have to drag around that ball and chain.

2. Teens are not old enough to make the proper decisions that a marriage requires.

3. Integrity- Live by your values, lead by example, ensure that every decision you make (right or wrong) is based on sound decision-making principles.

CenTexSports
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM
I wanted to respond but when I started thinking about these questions, I got a bad headache.

These are too deep and thought provoking for a Thursday morning.

Phil C
03-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey I had a cousin in Dallas that got married right after he graduated from High School at age 18 and he married a girl who had just finished her freshman year at 14. Many people in the family said it wouldn't last. In just about three more years they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary. They raised two sons.

Adidas410s
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I wanted to respond but when I started thinking about these questions, I got a bad headache.

These are too deep and thought provoking for a Thursday morning.

+1

Bullaholic
03-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Someone I know has a discussion on the following questions & would like your input to compare to the answers given in the classroom. All opinions are welcome. :)

3. What is your definition of INTEGRITY and what is its value in a relationship?

1. The covenant in a dating relationship is between a man and a woman. The covenant in a marriage is between God, a man and a woman, and society.

2. Young people of today seem to have a hard time "coping" with problems, and tend to "walk away" instead of finding amicable solutions. This is partialially the parents fault because the "baby boomer" generation has tended to "spoil" their children by "shielding" them from unpleasantness and granting "instant gratification".

3. INTEGRITY- Doing the right thing every time even when you know no one is watching. It is not something that you can buy or earn---you either want it and have it or you don't. It's value in a realtionship is vital to the life of the relationship---if either partner lacks it, the relationship cannot endure.

I want to state that I love and respect our youth and in no way am I replying to this post as a way to put them "down". They have many admirable qualities and I want to do everything I can to assist our young people to move forward in the right directions, and hand over the "reins" of society gracefully.

JasperDog94
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic 2. Young people of today seem to have a hard time "coping" with problems, and tend to "walk away" instead of finding amicable solutions. This is partialially the parents fault because the "baby boomer" generation has tended to "spoil" their children by "shielding" them from unpleasantness and granting "instant gratification".
[/B] :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's the idea that I should have what I want, when I want it. Instant gratification. Most people (even adults) that have that mentality will end up in a divorce.

Also remember that it only takes one person in a marraige to cause/want a divorce. Sometimes it's both, but I have several friends at church that their spouse just up and left. Sad situations, especially when kids are involved. :(

spiveyrat
03-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
1. The covenant in a dating relationship is between a man and a woman. The covenant in a marriage is between God, a man and a woman, and society.

2. Young people of today seem to have a hard time "coping" with problems, and tend to "walk away" instead of finding amicable solutions. This is partialially the parents fault because the "baby boomer" generation has tended to "spoil" their children by "shielding" them from unpleasantness and granting "instant gratification".

3. INTEGRITY- Doing the right thing every time even when you know no one is watching. It is not something that you can buy or earn---you either want it and have it or you don't. It's value in a realtionship is vital to the life of the relationship---if either partner lacks it, the relationship cannot endure.

I want to state that I love and respect our youth and in no way am I replying to this post as a way to put them "down". They have many admirable qualities and I want to do everything I can to assist our young people to move forward in the right directions, and hand over the "reins" of society gracefully.

I agree with Bull. Those are good, solid answers. To #2 I would add that teenagers don't understand the difference between lust/infatuation and love.

spiveyrat
03-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's the idea that I should have what I want, when I want it. Instant gratification. Most people (even adults) that have that mentality will end up in a divorce.

Good put! That is also addressed on Marriage Encounter weekends.

SintonFan
03-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

I learned all about delayed gratification the day I was married.:eek:

AggieJohn
03-23-2006, 02:36 PM
as a newlywed, i am still overwhelmed at being 22 and married, yet alone being 18 or younger and getting married

JasperDog94
03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I learned all about delayed gratification the day I was married.:eek: :doh: :doh:

eagles_victory
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
The higest divorce rate is from people that are ages 53-72 so thats something to think about

JasperDog94
03-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The higest divorce rate is from people that are ages 53-72 so thats something to think about The era of women's lib.:kiss:

SWMustang
03-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The higest divorce rate is from people that are ages 53-72 so thats something to think about

Where did you get that figure from?

olddawggreen
03-24-2006, 09:40 AM

When dating, everybody is putting on their best face, and then they go home. If they have a disagreement or don't care for the person their dating, they go home. When your married you can't just go home, you are home, you have to live with it and make it work, warts, farts and all, or not.

You do a lot of growing between the ages of 18 to 25, or 30. You and your spouse either grow together or you grow apart.

I think how many destractions you have in your life plays a part in wether a couple grows together, basicly if you marry at 18 and move to the back pasture, with few destractions, where your mutual goals are central to your relationship, chances are your gonna have a lot better chance of making it work as opposed to a couple that follows the bright lights and lives a very complicated life with separate goals and directions.

Integrity is Huge in a successful marriage. Its TRUST, reliability, and caring, its knowing that your spouse will be there for you when you need them, willing to put you ahead of everything else, to stand by you through good times and bad....ect....ect....ect.
Its knowing that you can trust your spouse above all else. Integrity is probably THE most important thing that you can have to make your marriage successful.

Just my opinion.

:)