PDA

View Full Version : Fla. Prison Softball "Ringer" To Repay Wages

ILS1
03-23-2006, 04:59 AM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - The state Corrections Department put a former minor league baseball player on the payroll in a no-show job so that he could help prison guards win a softball tournament, investigators say.

The ringer, Mark Guerra, 34, agreed to repay $1,400 and complete 50 hours of community service, state Attorney General Charlie Crist said Wednesday.

Guerra was charged with accepting paychecks for work never done at a prison library. Investigators said he accepted the money to play on the winning team in a tournament held last May by Corrections Secretary Jim Crosby.

Crosby was fired by Gov. Jeb Bush last month.

"It is disturbing that a state agency would place so much importance on a team sport that it would stoop to committing crimes," Crist said.

Story Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060322/ap_on_fe_st/corrections_softball)

injuredinmelee
03-23-2006, 09:27 AM
I am already preparing the screen play. Burt reynolds has to be the Coach/Guard. Im going to have Bosworth paly the prisoner/ringer and Morgan Freeman will be his cell mate/prison mentor. James Caan will be the evil warden.

GreenMonster
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
What I want to know is why is the ringer in trouble here? All he did was accept the offer of the prison official. The prison official is the one that should be re-paying the $ and doing the community service.

injuredinmelee
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What I want to know is why is the ringer in trouble here? All he did was accept the offer of the prison official. The prison official is the one that should be re-paying the $ and doing the community service.

I agree. If he would not have done it what would have happened to him and what would his every day life be like. Granted it isnt supposed to be rosy in prison but I am sure their would have been retribution from the staff.